[Spoilers] Episode 805 Discussion

Ran

1 minute ago, DebL66 said:

I feel like Danyā€™s arc has been consistent. Ā She has made plenty of bad decisions, became increasingly full of herself, and is really nothing without her dragons. Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

Yup anyone who thinks that isnt Dany....well you haven't been paying attention. That's mostly just show noobs I hope.

Yup--it's clearer in the books. But we've see this for a while--from her consent to Viserys' death and MMD onward.

1 minute ago, of man and wolf said:

westeros doent love her....so she is saying fuck it.

Exactly. The Dothraki loved her--so she fought for them. Then killed in Vaes Dothrak when they stopped loving her.

Dany, like Viserys, is desperate to be loved.

And like Viserys, will commit atrocities to get it.

Ā 

When Tyrion went to talk to her at Dragonstone, she looked mad with grief. Ā I also think she felt bad about killing Varys, but a promise is a promise. Ā She told him that she would do it if he everedĀ betrayed her. Ā She executed him at night and her ā€œDracarysā€ was softly spoken instead of firmly.

3 minutes ago, Danelle said:

It it it is..... I can't explain it. Jaime had always been my favourite character,Ā  his death was.... I mean the prophecy is not meant to be taken literally but this.... A shame, just a shame.

Was the valonqar even on the table here? I thought the Maggy vision omitted it in the show.

You're right though. Jaime ultimately had no character development, he didn't change or grow as a person at all. It was just a character examination. We see that he's not quite as bad as he first seems, but is ultimately the exact same man he was in S1E1.

I'm so torn. It's awful, but I kind of buy it for the show.Ā They made Jaime so much more detestable and Cersei so much nicer that it almost makes sense for these two characters. But it's not at all what I want or expect from the books.Ā 

1 minute ago, Sly Wren said:

Ā 

Ā 

Dany, like Viserys, is desperate to be loved.

Ā 

Ā 

So it was her the things i do for love momemt? Robert B also craved love.Ā 

4 minutes ago, Hodor&Bran said:

All through human history after almost every war the conquerors burn and sack the cities.Ā  This does NOT mean Dany is mad!!!!Ā  It's called revenge.Ā  Rome literally ground Carthage into the ground when they conquered them.Ā  They poured salt into the soil and plowed it under where Carthage stood.Ā Ā 

I asked my Husband who fought in Vietnam and killed people what he thought after watching this.Ā  His answer was "You have know idea what it's like in war and yes that's what happens".Ā  He also said "war is madness and it makes you mad".Ā  My Husband is 75 years old and he still has nightmares from Vietnam.

Just asĀ there was no excuse for Lt. Calley, there is no excuse for Dany.

4 minutes ago, Sonoftheharpie said:

Methinks Arya just updated her list.

Very good point--wondering if Bran sent the horse for that reason.

Though if Bran really is all seeing, why in the name of all that's holy didn't he warn Jon before this???

Makes me think book-Bran is not comign back to Winterfell.

Bringing him back has been ridiculous--he's an incredibly unreliable data file. And that's about it.

Just now, Jamie Lannister said:

Was the valonqar even on the table here? I thought the Maggy vision omitted it in the show.

You're right though. Jaime ultimately had no character development, he didn't change or grow as a person at all. It was just a character examination. We see that he's not quite as bad as he first seems, but is ultimately the exact same man he was in S1E1.

I'm so torn. It's awful, but I kind of buy it for the show.Ā They made Jaime so much more detestable and Cersei so much nicer that it almost makes sense for these two characters. But it's not at all what I want or expect from the books.Ā 

No it was never in the show, but having the ceiling fall on them as they embraced was underwhelming.Ā  They're not Romeo and Juliet.Ā  She is a POS who if anyone deserved to be burned alive it was Cersei.

Now for the whole Daenerys debacle.....I always thought this is how she would end....in the books. I didn't think the show was gonna do it but when the "previous" came on and it showed Dany and they had the voice over of people talking about how she isn't like her father I knew it was happening but a little part of me still thought they wouldn't......then they did it and she started burning everyone. I gotta say it was definitely Tywin's sack of King's Landing 2.0

Just now, Danelle said:

So it was her the things i do for love momemt? Robert B also craved love.Ā 

That might be more layered that D&D generally do--but might be an interesting parallel.

But Dany's needy--for her dragons and for her lovers.

Just now, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

Now for the whole Daenerys debacle.....I always thought this is how she would end....in the books. I didn't think the show was gonna do it but when the "previous" came on and it showed Dany and they had the voice over of people talking about how she isn't like her father I knew it was happening but a little part of me still thought they wouldn't......then they did it and she started burning everyone. I gotta say it was definitely Tywin's sack of King's Landing 2.0

I think it was worse.

Years ago there was talk of them wrapping things up in a proper "movie". This felt like that movie, albeit yet another Vietnam one, with all due respect. Since when did Davos become a fighting man? Where's Bronn? Dare I say it, glad Drogon's alive. Can't fathom closure for next week...

Consent to Viserys' death?

Viserys threatened her life and the life of her unborn baby (keep in mind she is the wife of the most powerful khal in the entire Dothraki Sea and the mother of his child) with a sword in a city that has an ancient rule prohibiting the presence and use of swords.

His life was forfeit. There was absolutely nothing she could do. And if Khal Drogo didn't do it (hard to imagine given the insult), someone else would have.

1 minute ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

Now for the whole Daenerys debacle.....I always thought this is how she would end....in the books. I didn't think the show was gonna do it but when the "previous" came on and it showed Dany and they had the voice over of people talking about how she isn't like her father I knew it was happening but a little part of me still thought they wouldn't......then they did it and she started burning everyone. I gotta say it was definitely Tywin's sack of King's Landing 2.0 ļ»æ

:agree:

In the books it's clear.

In the show, I've been afraid they'd have Dany and Jon have pretty, pretty babies and lots of dragons and wolves.

Very grateful they didn't do that.

1 minute ago, Sly Wren said:

:agree:

In the books it's clear.

In the show, I've been afraid they'd have Dany and Jon have pretty, pretty babies and lots of dragons and wolves.

Very grateful they didn't do that.

Well, in the books, Daenerys is likely going to have a reason for burning King's Landing that doesn't have anything to do with an annoying bell.

But the Dothraki do have this thing where they raze cities to the ground to restore the earth to its natural state. They are like the Scorpios of civilizations.

Edited by Jabar of House Titan

17 minutes ago, Sly Wren said:

But they did show her monstrous side last season with the field of fire and the Tarlys' execution.

Absolutely disagree. If you execute enemies who did not agree to surrender, this does not mean that you will destroy the city that surrender.