[Spoilers] Episode 805 Discussion

Ran

12 minutes ago, SamuelVimes said:

Right up until the moment she got onto her Equus Ex Machina I was pulling for Arya to spend the next episode trying to kill herself a queen - not Cersei anymore, but Dany, who's responsible for all the death & destruction she sees around her.

The equus ex machina was actually an equus ex greenseer courtesy of her brother Bran who was looking out for her.

That's why it was so very like fairytale magic. It really was exactly what it seemed: magic.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

2 minutes ago, HellasLEAF said:

I do get ignoring the bells and flexing some muscle, destroying some of the city.  She needed to truly show power and have fear to rule even in victory. 

But it felt a littler ridiculous that she was torching everything for what seemed like an hour straight.  Just wasn't believable.

That was the biggest mistake in what was a pretty epic episode.  

She should have just destroyed the Red Keep. That would be understandable. But to have her kill innocents, just bc, was bull crap. 

2 minutes ago, robasp2 said:

Even I was not convinced by Sandor's speech.

Wonder how Arya suddenly had a change of plans.

Eh, I get the bond that he and Arya formed, but yeah her shift was abrupt it is just that he and Sansa in the books had a very complicated bond. 

53 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

I kind of liked the episode, but then Aegon the Conqueror turned into Viserys the beggar king.  I'm sure D&D will explain how that happened, but it didn't work for me.  Jaime beating Euron, and then Euron claiming he killed Jaime Lannister was ridiculous.

The final scenes with Arya, were just bad.  I get it, D&D love Arya, but that was seriously stupid.  A horse?  Just stop it D&D.  And yes, lets celebrate incest.

2/10 for me.

Yeah, Arya should have died but I still have still think she will meet her end in the final ep.

22 minutes ago, Ilissa said:

Absolutely disagree. If you execute enemies who did not agree to surrender, this does not mean that you will destroy the city that surrender.

Of course not--I completely agree with this.

My point was just that we've been shown that Dany's capable of monstrous things.

This was much worse--and not inevitable.

But it had at least some set up.

2 minutes ago, TNTW said:

She should have just destroyed the Red Keep. That would be understandable. But to have her kill innocents, just bc, was bull crap. 

Yeah, consider my expectations subverted once again. I thought she'd ignore the bells and go for Cersei in the Red Keep. I expected to see some innocent people dying as a result of that and it would be bad. But she carpet-bombed the city and took her very sweet time even getting to the Keep (almost giving Cersei time to escape which would just beat all). I honestly don't understand how this ties into getting vengeance, even deadly vengeance. 

2 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

But didn't Dany agree to cease hostilities if the bells denoting surrender were rung?  Agreed in front of her Hand and her ally (Tyrion and Jon) as well as her general (Grey Worm)?  Was it her plan all along; or did she just get angry when the bells were rung and decided to "burn them all" just like dear old Dad wanted to do?

I'm not sure if she did agree to cease hostilities.

As far as we know, there were two different plans going on. One was the one told to Tyrion (I see Daenerys finally wised up and started leaving him out of things) and the other was the one that Jon and everyone else knew about.

There might have been a third plan or some kind of understanding that Grey Worm and Daenerys might have had between the two of them.

I can't have been the only one who noticed that Daenerys was talking to Grey Worm in exclusively Valyrian. And that Daenerys somehow knew what had happened with Varys.

Just now, theladyinspring said:

Yeah, consider my expectations subverted once again. I thought she'd ignore the bells and go for Cersei in the Red Keep. I expected to see some innocent people dying as a result of that and it would be bad. But she carpet-bombed the city and took her very sweet time even getting to the Keep (almost giving Cersei time to escape which would just beat all). I honestly don't understand how this ties into getting vengeance, even deadly vengeance. 

It's another plot hole.

No one who gets as angry as Daenerys did stays that angry for that long. Like it would have made more sense for her to carve a fiery path for the Red Keep, light the bitch up and let that be the end of it.

5 minutes ago, TNTW said:

She was going to kill innocents anyway if she had just captured the Red Keep.

Human shields remember.

11 minutes ago, Bran Snow said:

I want Jon to have pretty, pretty babies with Val from the books.

Well--given that the show melded Val with Dany and Jon with fAegon, seems at least possible that Jon and Val will have sex.

I do think he will reject her, though--he's breaking what we hear about the Night's King from Nan, making different choices.

But she may reject him first when he reanimates.

I am sad Qyburn died. The dude was supposed to be smart. He should have GTFO from KL instead of giving regular updates to Cersei. There was no point to stick with her till the end.

How many fake deaths did Aria had in this episode? 3? 4? Writers, either make it stick or stop trying so hard. It gets real old real fast. Doesn't help it's the same situation every time.

So the reddit leaks turned out to be completely true, huh.

Edited by Gelious

20 minutes ago, robasp2 said:

An unburnt horse at the right place at the right time.

Talk about a convenient plot device. Lol

5 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

The equus ex machina was actually an equus ex greenseer courtesy of her brother Bran who was looking out for her.

That's why it was so very like fairytale magic. It really was exactly what it seemed: magic.

The horse only arrives after Arya is safe and has no need of it to escape. And it is pretty clearly sent with a purpose which is probably Bran's doing.

7 minutes ago, TNTW said:

The brilliant Tyrion sent his beloved brother to his death, to try to save his sister who has caused him nothing but misery. That part was ugh. But when Tyrion talked about ringing the bells, saving the people, even if it cost him his life, that was better.

Tyrion isn't trying to save his siter, he is trying to save the city. Big difference.

7 minutes ago, robasp2 said:

Even I was not convinced by Sandor's speech.

Wonder how Arya suddenly had a change of plans.

Again, Arya and the Hound go off to kill Cersei so that there is no need for the battle. She says exactly that to the troops.

At the point Arya changes her mind, Cersei is clearly defeated and as good as dead. Someone is going to kill her. It doesn't have to be her. She doesn't have to die.

The reason she agrees not to go on is that the Hound begs her not to. He knows he is going to his death but he desperately doesn't want Arya to die with him or for that matter for her to save him.

3 minutes ago, Sly Wren said:

Well--given that the show melded Val with Dany and Jon with fAegon

No.

“When we were shooting Season 1 and no one had seen the show yet, we were in Malta. Back then, there was not a lot of secrecy because nobody was paying attention, and George R.R. Martin came to visit and he was being quite open about his plans,” Taylor told the New York Times.

“He said something: That it really is all about Dany and Jon. I was surprised because at the time, you know, I thought, well Robb Stark’s going to be king next, probably,” he continued. “And who knows where this story’s going? But it was absolutely clear to him that within this sprawling scale the whole story was coming down to this partnership.”

11 minutes ago, TNTW said:

Yeah, it just didn't make any sense. There wasn't even another moment like Missandei's death to explain her snapping.