[Spoilers] Episode 805 Discussion

Ran

4 minutes ago, Ilissa said:

So what? If you have a sword, then you kill with steel. If you have a dragon - you burn with fire. Tarlys deserved their fate.

Stannis must be saint in your eyes, given the number of people he and Mel burnt alive.

Guys, ignore that nonsense. They just wanted to see the city burn. They wanted to destroy it for the visuals. That's why we got a pointless and rather boring overkill of scenes depicting magically exploding ships and buildings made of FUCKING STONE. We also got a suddenly invincible single dragon when previously dragons were as easily killed as FUCKING SLOTHS!

All they wanted to do since, well, season 6 ended is burn the city. But they postponed it until the end.

There is a shit load of plot holes here to make this an entirely nonsensical plot line.

Just now, sifth said:

Stannis must be saint in your eyes, given the number of people he and Mel burnt alive.

Burning people alive is actually a rather common execution method in Westeros. And it is usually quicker than medieval hanging or drawn-and-quartering.

Just now, Lord Varys said:

Guys, ignore that nonsense. They just wanted to see the city burn. They wanted to destroy it for the visuals. That's why we got a pointless and rather boring overkill of scenes depicting magically exploding ships and buildings made of FUCKING STONE. We also got a suddenly invincible single dragon when previously dragons were as easily killed as FUCKING SLOTHS!

All they wanted to do since, well, season 6 ended is burn the city. But they postponed it until the end.

There is a shit load of plot holes here to make this an entirely nonsensical plot line.

What pisses me off is Dany destroyed KL with one dragon...one! She had it dead to rights when she had all three but fucking Tyrion ^$#@ her over with his stupid advice!

Mirri was always right about Dany...

"look to your Khal and see what life is worth when there is nothing left"When Dany thought she saved Mirri and her people that was laughable. Dany never knew how to rule and she would never be loved in westeros...for one thing, the rulers of westeros are much more aloof towards the commoners, unlike in essos, where rulers constantly look to enslave them. In essos, Dany was a good queen. Not in westeros, where she did not fit.

5 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah, it just didn't make any sense. There wasn't even another moment like Missandei's death to explain her snapping.

- Missandei's death

- Jorah's death

- Jon's origin

- The betrayal of Jon\Varys

- Sansa being Sansa

The sum of it all is the explanation. Not saying you should like it or believe it, but its the explanation anyway

Edited by Gelious

1 minute ago, Areisius said:

What pisses me off is Dany destroyed KL with one dragon...one! She had it dead to rights when she had all three but fucking Tyrion ^$#@ her over with his stupid advice!

I agree.  Although the blame really goes to the writers for not coming up with a better reason why she didn't roll up at KL with her armada from the get go.  I hope she executes Tyrion.

7 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Could have at least had Cersei assist with using her wildfire. 

They could have demonstrated that both queens are two sides of the same coin 

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

Guys, ignore that nonsense. They just wanted to see the city burn.

Do not lie to yourself. They promised a common ending with the books. This is it. Mad Queen burns the King's Landing. It's terrible, but it's true.

I really don't want to read the other two books. 
I so regret that many years ago I bought the first book. I would never do that if I knew the end.

I take the criticisms, but in and of itself, I thought the episode was very entertaining.

Daenerys' motive for carrying out mass murder was made plain, when she spoke from the throne.  The people of Kings Landing, unlike those of Meereen, made no attempt to resist Cersei.  Therefore, she judges them guilty.  That's a horrific attitude, but one that plenty of conquerors have adopted.

9 minutes ago, Ilissa said:

No.

“When we were shooting Season 1 and no one had seen the show yet, we were in Malta. Back then, there was not a lot of secrecy because nobody was paying attention, and George R.R. Martin came to visit and he was being quite open about his plans,” Taylor told the New York Times.

“He said something: That it really is all about Dany and Jon. I was surprised because at the time, you know, I thought, well Robb Stark’s going to be king next, probably,” he continued. “And who knows where this story’s going? But it was absolutely clear to him that within this sprawling scale the whole story was coming down to this partnership.”

Right--but that doesn't mean Dany and Jon are romantic and like this.

Dany and Jon in the books are attracted to VERY different people: Dany likes violent sociiopaths who kill and conquer. Jon's really not that guy.

And the story can be about the two of them without a lot of the stuff the show had them do.

Rather like Book Sansa can go save the North with the Vale without becoming Jeyne Poole.

3 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

Again what nonsense?

Why is everything in repetition in this show? Aerys, vicerion, Cersei, Stannis, Joffrey, Danny...the same old story again and again. 

Jamie, Jamie, Jamie, the same old story again and again. 

Arya escapes death again and again and again. 

Then why do you and so many others who complain all the time watch it???????????????  WTF watch something else.  

10 minutes ago, sifth said:

To be fair, plenty of Stannis book fans have justified his burnings.