[Poll] How would you rate episode 805?

Ran

How would you rate episode 805?   

496 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

14 minutes ago, robasp2 said:

So true. A few passes with the dragon, and a few burnt soldiers would have sent the message.

The show goes on to show her sweeping road after road. AND then coming back to the same roads for 1 hour

Yeah like that is overkill.

Both for her and the writers. Oh and the fact that D&D actually didn't even have her blast the Red Keep to smithereens in her 3 hour long rampage was truly madness.

19 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I don't think Dany ordered her soldiers to kill the whole town. For whatever reason, most of her forces (not Jon though) broke discipline and put the whole town to the sword after it had surrendered.

They started killing because Grey Worm did, and Grey Worm did so because Cersei had killed Missandei.

So then we suddenly realize why Missandei was captured and thrown off the city wall. But that is still unrealistic when it comes to a soldier who has been 100 percent disciplined his entire life. And he never did anything to prevent the killing of civilians, from what we saw.

On the other hand, maybe he heard the dragon and thought his queen had already started the killing, so he might as well help. But still - better watch and make sure that she wants the city to be destroyed. He had no such orders, after all. And she hadn't started burning buildings yet.

Well, on to Dany being killed by Arya. Which is why we got to see Arya so much in the streets. She suffered through the horror, saw what it did to the people, and now it's payback time. Remembering her training she'll use the face of the horse to come close to Dany and then stab her with a hoof.

I've given a 5.

I do understand people perfectly who give it a 1, I assume their vote just refers to the writing/story. I am trying to be fair and give 5 for the cinematography, which I thought was awesome for a TV series, and I believe the people behind that should be acknowledged. And then there's 0 for the writing, storytelling and character development (or should I better say character assassination).

I'll be glad when it's over next week, glad I can put a checkmark behind something I've been following since almost 25 years now, since GOT was published. Not knowing if we'll get an ending from Martin, I'll take the one from the TV show, still hoping that Martin will come around with the version we're really wanting.

So they ruined Arya's development because they didn't want to go full "I am an epic assassin" route. Ruined Jaime's development just so they could film the scene where they die together. They fucked sandor Clegane over when he decided to stop just so we could watch him fight his dead brother. Fucked the shit out of Dany character forever just so we could have "muh mad queen". But all in all if we ignore the past episodes and watch THIS without considering the rest, 7/10. Not many mistakes and solid presentation overall.

25 minutes ago, sifth said:

If this is GRRM plan for Dany, I'm almost scared to read it.

I'm already picturing in my mind a chapter of Dany losing her mind and killing people left and right.

His plan was (and so far as we know still is) to deal with Cersei and the other pretenders to the throne before going on to fight the Others.  Since Dany will almost certainly be there for that battle this specific ending won't happen IMO.  On the other hand, GRRM does have Dany doing some things she knows will harm a great many people in Westeros without a  second thought (eg resettling the Dothraki)  It's not my preferred ending but she may be a villain that needs defeating at the end, but it won't get there this way. 

2 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

So they ruined Arya's development because they didn't want to go full "I am an epic assassin" route. Ruined Jaime's development just so they could film the scene where they die together. They fucked sandor Clegane over when he decided to stop just so we could watch him fight his dead brother. Fucked the shit out of Dany character forever just so we could have "muh mad queen". But all in all if we ignore the past episodes and watch THIS without considering the rest, 7/10. Not many mistakes and solid presentation overall.

why do people constantly feel like everyone needs to be redeemed? Did you really think Jaime was a good person overall? He wasnt and was never going to be. He was complex like so many others in this story. 

It's like Bran telling Theon in the end that he's a good person doesnt really make it so. Tell that to ser rodrik.

2 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

Did you really think Jaime was a good person overall? He wasnt and was never going to be. He was complex like so many others in this story. 

His complexity came when he was doing things his own way and not doing exactly what Cersei asked him to do. When he came back to her for NO REASON AT ALL to die with her they killed his character. He lost all his complexity and became her slave. He's not a good person by any means, but he was trying to be one. Until the writers WANTED him to die like that.

1 minute ago, of man and wolf said:

why do people constantly feel like everyone needs to be redeemed? Did you really think Jaime was a good person overall? He wasnt and was never going to be. He was complex like so many others in this story. 

It's like Bran telling Theon in the end that he's a good person doesnt really make it so. Tell that to ser rodrik.

Book Jaime seems to be building to a different ending, but a lot of this was not included in the show.  It could have gone either way IMO. 

16 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Making Jon as the alternative is also a bit too pat.  At least as it currently stands.  Varys’ lesson to Tyrion early on is that power is a mummer’s trick.  What really matters is who people are willing to follow.  It shouldn’t matter as to birthright, instead what should matter is who has the best traits of leadership. 

Remember the setting. That is a very modern idea.

17 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

And yes, I think that the one and only prophecy that the show bothered to get into, was the whole Volonquar thing.  I guess that Jaime did have his hands somewhat close to Cersei’s neck as the ceiling caved in.  :dunno:

The  Volonquar prophecy was never in the show!!!!!!  No offense, but how many times does that have to be said?

29 minutes ago, north of the wall said:

The northern went as rabid as Dany's troops. I'm not happy about that either. 

I was quite disappointed in that myself, (and actually Grey Worm started it) until I stopped to think what war does to men. Blood lust takes hold in the heat of battle and men turn into animals. It has happened historically over and over. So it was realistic. They did an excellent job of showing the horrors of war, from multiple perspectives. And from the story perspective, it really showcased the fundamental difference between Jon and Dany.

I gave the episode a 9, because I don't like that Cersei presumably died in the arms of the man she loved buried under the rubble. But at least she was scared. I liked watching her fear for her life.

Before I go into my other comments, I have a question. The Lannister army surrendered at the gates of the keep, Jaime rang the bells to signal surrender, and then weren't some gates supposed to open? As far as I could tell, the gates were not opened.

Why can't Dany ever just behead people? No, she always has to burn them. And people couldn't see what was coming?

The scene between Tyrion and Jaime was wonderful, when they hugged and Tyrion wept.

Tyrion risking being executed for treason to save the innocent people of King's Landing. So awesome.

At first watching Dany and Drogon take out all the ships and scorpions was 10 kinds of awesome. And when she burst through the city walls from the inside, I thought great, she decided not to kill the innocents and she's not gonna go the way I've expected her to. And after the bells rang it looked like she was headed straight for Cersei and was gonna bypass all the people in the streets and just take her out. But then she turned all fire crazy. Sigh.

Jaime killed Euron! Yay!

I loved Arya and Sandor in the map room. He turned Arya from being driven by her need for revenge, and she actually called him by his first name before thanking him. Very touching.

I thought Clegane bowl was great. I hated that Sandor had to die to kill his brother, but I expected that. It was the best way for Sandor to go, getting the revenge he had sought all his life.

So, it will be interesting to see what happens between Jon and Dany in the final episode. She feels he betrayed her by telling Sansa his true identity, and then as much as admitted he doesn't love her, so now she's heartbroken too. He was clearly NOT HAPPY about her torching the city after they had surrendered, not to mention her actions just poured more fuel on their already battle crazed troops.

Arya was clearly not happy with Dany either and we know she already didn't trust Dany, so I wonder what role she will play next episode. Maybe she will solve Jon's problem for him?

What was the green fire that kept erupting in the city? At first I thought there was wildfire hidden throughout the city, but it didn't spread.

Even after all this, Dany has a chance to redeem herself. If she repents of what she did to the city, admits that she is not the best to rule and abdicates the throne. I know Jon is the best person to rule, but he doesn't want to. He'd be miserable, and I want him to be happy. But then, he did choose to join the NW to serve the realm of Westeros for the rest of his life, so maybe he still will be bound to serve, just in a different way.

18 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

Pretty damn good episode. We all should have know Dany was going down this way as this was building u since the first season. She was never a good ruler, nor was she a good person.

Because that's the third big twist of the books. They started with that route in one of the first epis of s5. They oculd not have ocme with that on their own.... first seasons, kinda agree in a way. 

12 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

His complexity came when he was doing things his own way and not doing exactly what Cersei asked him to do. When he came back to her for NO REASON AT ALL to die with her they killed his character. He lost all his complexity and became her slave. He's not a good person by any means, but he was trying to be one. Until the writers WANTED him to die like that.

The things we do for love. Jaime has always been obsessed with Cersei. He told Edmure Tully what things he was prepared to do for Cersei's sake, such as firing Edmure's infant at the Tully castle's walls with a catapult if Edmure didn't get them to open the gates. He has always come back to Cersei.

Not in the novels - he ignored her plea for help when the church has imprisoned her and she sends him a letter, after she has been sleeping with a younger guy. But in the TV show it is entirely in character for him to come back for Cersei.