[Poll] How would you rate episode 805?

Ran

How would you rate episode 805?   

496 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

3 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I'd just thought I'd share this interesting callback for you guys.

The work of a masterpiece managed by two excellent showrunners. Truly.

Nice catch.

I bet after this season is over there will be hundreds of these contradictory scenes. It absolutely ruins the rewatchability of the show.

It's to be 1.

Didn't think they could do worse than ep3. Meantime ep4 gave me a bit of hope. In the end they did do worse.

Everything was so dumb, and so conveniently handed, and so predictable, in this ep. Really it's about time we get to the end. The only appreciable thing in this ep was Maisie's acting. And the CGI, for what it's worth.

As a stand alone episode, I think it deserves a 9 or 10. But I gave it a 1.  Another protest vote for the second week in a row.  Last night they took a giant shit on everything I love about this story, this series, and these characters.  Damn D&D for turning me into a fucking troll. 

I loved it alot. Seeing Danny slowly snapping and seeing it go full force for everyone to see was crazy. 

I saw this happening and I just loved all the fighting and the different characters in different light and all that. 

It has taken me this long to decide about this episode. After it ended, I wanted to give it a zero.  It was a spectacle that became a boring spectacle.  I remembered a movie Kit made called Pompei.  I have never seen the whole thing but I did see the part about all the deaths while he was running away from the city, trying to live. In the middle of the GoT spectacle, D&D could easily have used footage from that movie, it would have fit perfectly.

However, there are other elements to making an episode beyond making characters walk and talk in new ways.  The filming was great, the CGI looked real, the lighting was good, and the music, as always, was good.v  

But many of the characters were ruined.  Why wasn't Cersei killed in some interesting way.  Nobody deserves it more than her (well, at least before this episode). First of all, we don't even know if she is dead, but she and Jaime embrace and she whines that she doesn't want to die.  TOO BAD, lady.  You have harmed and used and manipulated others pretty regularly.  Maybe her contract stipulated a heroes death.  

Jaime fell off his redemption arc to be a hateful person, again.  Oh well. 

Tyrion lies to Dany, again, in order to save his hateful sister, and brother.

Poor Sandor, who harbored hate to his brother for years, found out the hard way that his brother had been dead for years.

Greyworm went rigidly crazy, killing everything, yet retaining his excellent posture.

That leaves Jon, carrying the the sin of waiting to long to stop somebody close to him, and Arya, who gets caught in the horror. 

5. I give it a 5.  

6/10. Best episode since season 5. It was great on its own, though the lead up was very very poor. Mad Dany is very interesting, but again, we got to the point too fast. However my expectations have been so low for so long that it was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed watching it because we have gone so long without much change in her since season 2. She went from innocent to righteous conqueror and has stayed that way so seeing this new aspect is interesting and shows us more of Emilia Clarke's range. Though again, this should have taken a season to develop.  I didn't enjoy Jaime, Cersei, Cleganebowl, or Euron. Arya was interesting as a POV character, though the show has struggled with deciding how much emotional impact events should have on her. 

It was splendid in displaying the horrors of war and mass destruction in a way that makes the Long Night with its easy outs look pitiful. 

20 hours ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

It was pretty obvious from before the credits rolled which direction this was going to go, huh? Tonight's episode was a compellingly horrifying spectacle that resolved the fates of several major characters and cemented the fates of others, and I would have really appreciated it more had Dany's decision to murder the entire city of King's Landing after they surrendered to her made a lick of sense, given her behavior during the first 70 episodes. I said that, barring some ridiculously out-of-character turn from Daenerys, calling her The Mad Queen would be terribly unfair. Well, mission accomplished.

Was the Night King the big baddie? Nope. Cersei? Nope. It was Daenerys all along, I guess. So how do you rate an episode that is so well shot, so well directed, so well performed, and which intentionally assassinates a main character's character? I have no idea.

Edit: What the hell, I'm giving it an 8. 

I think the idea we’re supposed to get is that both Ice and Fire, unchecked, are naturally destructive. I guess Jon is the place where they balance?

Anyway, I would note that in those 70 previous episodes, many of them contained scenes where Dany talked about burning entire cities to the ground as her ultimate solution to opposition. Only in those cases she was talked out of it or it proved unnecessary. Certainly the last 2-3 seasons have been filled with times Tyrion, Varys and others scrambled to come up with alternatives when she’s started suggesting ‘burn them all’. This time they weren’t there.

16 hours ago, 420faceless said:

More like started at s01e01

I don't get why people aren't seeing that her final reaction wasnt final and it was building since allowing her brother to get topped, and also weighing where and when she was in the power seat - ie when her enemies were being murdered horribly and brutally. She was at the place where her family got topped essentially and she lost it. Im fairly sure theres bell references in the book when the targaryns met their end prior to the books.

She did all these awful things, but the music was always triumphant, there was no fallout, and she was never criticized. Her actions made me very uncomfortable, but I can see why fans are confused because the show basically told us 'this is cool, this a majestic thing'. The only problem she faced was when she executed that former slave. They wanted to have their 'Khaleesi' t-shirts and eat them too. 

6 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Anyway, I would note that in those 70 previous episodes, many of them contained scenes where Dany talked about burning entire cities to the ground as her ultimate solution to opposition. 

Not many of them, but more than one. The big difference here was that she didn't burn the city to solve a problem. Once King's Landing surrendered and Daenerys decided to kill everyone in the city anyway, we moved into territory not even suggested before last night. I can certainly see how the show might have gotten her to that place, but they skipped all that work, and that's why both viewers and critics have expressed disappointment. It's not that no one could see this coming. But how it was done was rushed and sloppy.

7/10. 

I've had some time to think about it.  The episode was amazing to watch.  If for nothing else then it's audacity.  

It was bold, and I applaud that.  And a memorable spectacle.    

The main problem is, to have the backdrop of Dany blowing up and torching the City in all the other character's scenes, she needs to go on forever lighting it up.  This is where it just stop being believable a bit and leaves a sour taste.  I mean she went almost too mad.  

Still, many great moments.  I suppose this one will almost need a re-rating after seeing the last episode to properly explain what we just seen.  If they bother too at all.  

14 minutes ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

Not many of them, but more than one. The big difference here was that she didn't burn the city to solve a problem. Once King's Landing surrendered and Daenerys decided to kill everyone in the city anyway, we moved into territory not even suggested before last night. I can certainly see how the show might have gotten her to that place, but they skipped all that work, and that's why both viewers and critics have expressed disappointment. It's not that no one could see this coming. But how it was done was rushed and sloppy.

I agree with rushed, but not in this episode.

I thought that Varys et al suddenly saw her as dangerous too quickly early on in this season. That was when they imo made that jump. There have been others as the show got into the late stages...Dany and Jon’s love went fro 0 to 5 to 500. Sansa’s next-level genius by virtue of osmosis, likewise...etc. Rushed is a thing when trying to summarize...2? 3? 4?…future (?) novels in a few tv seasons. So the ‘she might be cra-cra’ stuff was really amped up, but not yesterday, more like since episode 1 when all of a sudden people are exchanging worried looks, Tyrion and Varys are talking about managing rather than counselling her, etc. Imo those looks/thoughts weren’t unreasonable, but she wasn’t talking or behaving all that differently since things started going wrong in Slaver’s Bay, so why were they suddenly reacting differently? That felt rushed/forced. 

Since that began this has been among the possible destinations. I wouldn't have expected it before this season, probably...but once it became so clear that Tyrion was going to (try) and provide another way, I felt it kinda almost had to go this way to not just be more of the same. How resolved would we feel if yet again Dany was talked down from the pyre? Wouldn’t it leave things feeling perpetually combustible?   

Edited by James Arryn

6 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I agree with rushed, but not in this episode.

That's why I gave it an 8. It's how we got here that's been the problem. If it had been developed better, I think more people would have appreciated it. But I thought the episode itself was much better than it's been reviewed here and elsewhere.

15 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

I think Jon is basically very introverted and an extremely weak ruler when all's said and done. That's why he's totally unsuitable for the Iron Throne and won't ultimately sit on it.

I think Jon's character arc over the past two seasons has been the most disappointing thing for me out of all of this. I loved Jaime but he has been so butchered for so long I wasn't disappointed. He's an inspiring and noble person who people get behind.  He has proven himself as a great leader, but no more. Now he is Dany's pet who mopes about her decisions but supports her anyway. It's up to Sansa to defend the rights of the north while Dany tries to alienate him from his family and keep him a bastard with no history or name. This isn't Jon- Jon would challenge his monarch, just as Ned challenged Robert. 

I think the first problem is I never bought this great love between him and Dany- it had none of the passion and urgency or Jon and Ygritte. Mainly people talked about how they were into each other and then they had sex. He has always chosen honor over love so it would still be out of character for him to stay with her just because of an attachment, but we don't even have that. So he seems like someone who has been abused for years rather than a man pushed on by a tragic love. 

But I'd be very happy for him if he didn't have to sit on the throne. He should have a keep in the North with a wife and children who play with Ghost in the Godswood. 

20 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Her final solution to all her problems is always to burn them all. She sometimes tries the floppy ears on, but it never lasts. In the end it's always fire and blood.  Go back and think about all her "victories". Every single one of them.

Dont forget Xharo, he starved to death.