[Poll] How would you rate episode 805?

Ran

How would you rate episode 805?   

496 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

11 hours ago, Stonelands said:

Didn't Dany talk about wanting to burn one or two of the slaver cities to the ground in one season?  That would kill a lot of ordinary people. 

Plus, I think what you're maybe missing is that she's not only recently come to the conclusion that she'll never be loved but she now sees someone with a better claim to the throne than her who does seem to be loved.  If someone already has the potential for being mentally unhinged than I personally don't think it'd hard to see how that could prompt some pretty radical changes in behaviour.

I said it to someone earlier but I'd like to clarify again that I don't think the pacing here is perfect, I just disagree that it's nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be.

ARRRGGHHH FFS!! That was a pep talk to a bunch of Dothraki that had lost everything, delivered in order to both increase their morale and their support for her, the Dothraki follow strength  and strength alone. She promised to burn Quarth to the ground in revenge for them deliberating over whether to shun and abandon her to the garden of bones outside the city walls when Dany had barely survived the red waste and her horde were in danger of perishing, it was a threat, made out of anger and a desperate will to survive, this gambit of Daenerys, again spoken when she was dehydrated, desperate, delusional and demoralised was nowhere near a wish or longing of hers, and as such is in no way, shape or form a foreshadowing of an inclination to destroy cities or burn innocents . Any claim to the contrary is constructed of arguments and evidence as flimsy as that of d$ds portrayal of a girl that for 7.4 seasons fought with every ounce of her being to protect and dignity human life only to devolve into a maniacal war criminal and mass murderer and serial arsonist upon hearing "Christian church bells" ring that (in this episode alone, and only this episode) were meant to signify her Triumph . It was not subversion , it was farce masquerading as tragedy portrayed as Satire, sadly unintentenionally , and therein lies the real crime!

2 hours ago, Gendelsdottir said:

Please! There is no *right* way to watch a TV show. Poking fun at absurdity is one thing (I'm certainly guilty of it) but outright mocking other groups of fans for their opinions? Mean-spirited.

Look -

If someone says, as many seem to be saying, that "Anyone who criticizes the ending are just upset because it's not a Disney ending" or "They're just upset because their favorite character didn't do what they expected them to" - 

- I won't call those statements mean-spirited. I'm sure it comes from a place of truly enjoying the show.

But those are just not correct statements. Most of the ire from the fans comes from the fact the writing is bad. Unnecessarily bad for a show that can certainly afford good writers. That's all there is to it. And yes, I do believe that anyone claiming otherwise is in a state of denial.

I think the kindest thing anyone can do if they truly care about the GOT universe's continued existence on our TV screens is to let HBO know that hey, this was bad, we know you can do better.

I like this episode and for some reason the burning / sacking of the city wasn't a surprise to me. Like I have always felt that this freeing people at first was a nice act of her but after that she became obsessed and somewhat delusional that she was this Messiah / Mother character, easily understandable with what happened. Remember her being carried and cheered like Jesus and the ending with her in the middle of an ocean of people.  It's her fate to free the world - by any means possible.

With this as a backback she went back on her main quest - freeing Westeros and reclaim the Throne from the tyrants who stole it. This is 50% a pure revenge mission. Only thing is, she is not being welcomed as the saviour she had expected (her brother always said how the people long for the Targaryens to come back ), even after being the reason they won the war against the WW - she is still being viewed as an imperialistic invader coming with known rapers and super weapons. Slowly, one by one her advisers either dies or betrays her, her only real friend gets executed and her love rejects her. After the scene with Jon she decided that Westeros is - will not be like she had imagined and since KL is such a symbol of Westeros, in a mental state of rage and vengeance she burns it down. For me it is, fully understandable considering her personality. She dehumanize KL to a 100%,

For me this whole story about Dany is that even the purest intention can bring the greatest destruction.

The white walkers represented one way of destruction - the cold obvious threat. Ice

Dany represents the suttle, harder to see coming destruction. People who think they are something they are not and who got way to powerful weapons at their disposal. They will snap under the right circumstances and if not guided correctly. Fire.

A song of ice and fire.

Though, I don't really get how Jon is supposed to be the balance in this. He obviously knows nothing and never has. Maybe he is supposed to represent the naive human race that never understands the real threats until it is too late.

Edited by HEllohellohello

5 minutes ago, Vanadis said:

I think the kindest thing anyone can do if they truly care about the GOT universe's continued existence on our TV screens is to let HBO know that hey, this was bad, we know you can do better.

I agree with that much. :thumbsup:

"They are upset because they wanted a Disney ending" is to assert, without proof, the reason(s) for someone else's state of mind. Unless, of course, you know for a fact that they are a full-on Disney tragic who blogs & tweets & posts about the Disneyverse every chance they get. :)

Fans find it entertaining to divide themselves into camps ("I'm in Team A!" "Fool! Team B is better!") and throw rotten apples at each other. Never really understood it, myself, but oh well. Perhaps this is a metaphor for the show itself. :D

8 hours ago, Jewel said:

I think this video straight up nails it. 

Wow, it absolutely does. This is the best analysis of what's gone wrong that I've read or heard. It's balanced and literary-sensitive. The takeaway for me is that GRRM will have everything that's missing from the show when he gets the books out.

16 hours ago, Jewel said:

I think this video straight up nails it. 

That is a good analysis. Like some people have said, I personally think the episode is quite good in isolation, it's just problematic in relation to the whole. Like he says in the video,  there was foreshadowing for what happened, it just didn't constitute significant enough development to make this season not feel rushed. 

On 5/13/2019 at 3:37 AM, north of the wall said:

I agree it look amazing! Cleganebowl wasn't what I imagined and I'm so devastated Sandor had to die to kill his bro!

What do D&D have against prophecies? Why couldn't Jaime or even Arya kill Cersei?! 

The northern went as rabid as Dany's troops. I'm not happy about that either. 

Arya is conviently the last person alive in KL and there is a surviving  horse too! How's that for luck? I'm surprised she walk with so much plot armour.

I feel so let down but storyline, but can't get over how awesome it all looked while destroying my hopes and dreams. Maybe I'll rate it a 6 just for cinematography?

The valonqar prophecy doesn't exist in the show.  They did have the "until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear," line though.

But that prophecy has never made sense. "All" that Cersei holds dear would include Joffrey.

16 hours ago, Stonelands said:

That is a good analysis. Like some people have said, I personally think the episode is quite good in isolation, it's just problematic in relation to the whole. Like he says in the video,  there was foreshadowing for what happened, it just didn't constitute significant enough development to make this season not feel rushed. 

But it does make sense in hindsight, don't you think?

We'll see how this ages.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:33 AM, fairwarging said:

She did all these awful things, but the music was always triumphant, there was no fallout, and she was never criticized. Her actions made me very uncomfortable, but I can see why fans are confused because the show basically told us 'this is cool, this a majestic thing'. The only problem she faced was when she executed that former slave. They wanted to have their 'Khaleesi' t-shirts and eat them too. 

She was also sexually attracted to legit psychos like Daario, who had no diplomacy whatsoever, they reflected her internal want to just kill indiscriminately.

2 hours ago, 420faceless said:

She was also sexually attracted to legit psychos like Daario, who had no diplomacy whatsoever, they reflected her internal want to just kill indiscriminately.

Would you mind elaborating on Daario being a legit psycho? This sound interesting!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I loved this episode.  Finally, all the world can finally see who Daenerys truly is.  Let me be clear.  Daenerys is simply a product OF HOW SHE WAS RAISED.

1) She was raised by Viserys.

2) She was treated harshly and abused by Viserys.

3) Viserys sold her to a savage leader by the name of Khal Drogo.

4) She was being savagely abused sexually by Khal Drogo.

5) Daenerys is now being raised in the ways of the savage Dothraki people.

6) Daenerys allowed for own flesh and blood to be killed in front of her without any hesitation.

7) Daenerys crucified the slave masters.

8) Daenerys burned Randyll Tarly and his son Dickon Tarly because they refused to bend the knee.

9) Daenerys was bent on revenge for her father's death and bent on ruling the 7 kingdoms because it belong to her family therefore she felt that she should rule the 7 kingdoms.

10) Daenerys lacked a support structure that could speak truth to her and be able to curb her from her worst impulses.

These traits and experiences that Daenerys has are what led her to burning the innocent people of Kings Landing.

It was during season 4 that I began noticing these subtle things about Daenerys.  After I rewatched season 1 to season 5, that's when it dawned on me that Daenerys was not a good person.  The reason why it was hard at first for me to detect this was because the evil deeds that Daenerys was doing to people were to people who were pretty much terrible.  For example, the Slave Masters.

Anyway, I am glad this episode showed us all who Daenerys really is.