Jump to content
Ran

[Poll] How would you rate episode 805?

How would you rate episode 805?   

486 members have voted

  1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

    • 1
      132
    • 2
      38
    • 3
      29
    • 4
      22
    • 5
      42
    • 6
      32
    • 7
      31
    • 8
      53
    • 9
      55
    • 10
      52


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

 

Davos' first line.

Yes ... GRRM wrote this script back in Season 2.

 

Thank you D&D for that super epic long moment of everyone hoping the bells would ring into King's Landing's official surrender. Way to keep it consistent.

I'd just thought I'd share this interesting callback for you guys.

The work of a masterpiece managed by two excellent showrunners. Truly.

4 hours ago, Kajjo said:

It is unfair to downvote an episode that is well done, just because you don't like the storyline of GRRM.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave it 6, because I thought the descent to be a Mad Queen was not justified by the plot. She has been through too much to go this mad over a couple more losses.  Burning those who wrong her is what she does always has.  Burning others just to do it is not.

That said the rest of the episode was pretty good, and the resolution of the Hounds story was satisfying to me.  His finally getting Arya to step away from her vengeance was good, and was Arya mirroring what Bran said to Theon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

Yeah! It was stunning. 10/10.

I don't think so. Daenerys reaction is not unexpected and the possibility has been discussed for ages. It is not an entirely new trait. So many people expected a Mad Queen ending. 

There are some shortcomings in telling the story and some minor issues (like too easily shooting down Rhaegal), but overall it is a very fine storyline.

I believe GRRM will also make her do this, but in a much more believable manner. They needed to sow the madness better. Season 7 was a rushed missed opportunity after missed opportunity.  With a different seventh season this storyline could have worked now. But this way, no. They should have added two more seasons at least. But they wanted to be done with it, so they got a mega budget that they spent on gorgeous cinematography while butchering the story. Mad Dany does not work in s8, it might have worked in s10 and it will probably work in A Dream Of Spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Thank you D&D for that super epic long moment of everyone hoping the bells would ring into King's Landing's official surrender. Way to keep it consistent.

What's your problem? Maybe it was a trick of Tyrion? Tyrion made this upand instructed Jaime to ring the bells. 

Davos and Tyrion can habe opposite opinions and intentions when they interpret the bells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, Kajjo said:

What's your problem? Maybe it was a trick of Tyrion? Tyrion made this upand instructed Jaime to ring the bells. 

Davos and Tyrion can habe opposite opinions and intentions when they interpret the bells.

Remember this? Pay close attention to the end of the clip...

Yeah, it's totally only just Davos and Tyrion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Remember this? Pay close attention to the end of the clip...

My goodness. So what? In the Blackwater battle scene the bells were rung to signal the beginning of the battle. Bells can have multiple uses. Even if that were a minor mistake, it wouldn't ruin the whole story.

Some people want to enjoy one of the greatest shows ever, some want just to find mistakes and moan, whine, hate. Why on earth? If you don't like the show, don't watch ist,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Han Snow said:

I believe GRRM will also make her do this, but in a much more believable manner. They needed to sow the madness better. Season 7 was a rushed missed opportunity after missed opportunity.  With a different seventh season this storyline could have worked now. But this way, no. They should have added two more seasons at least. But they wanted to be done with it, so they got a mega budget that they spent on gorgeous cinematography while butchering the story. Mad Dany does not work in s8, it might have worked in s10 and it will probably work in A Dream Of Spring.

I think if they did 20 better episodes instead of 13 it could have worked, last night as #9 after a season where she feels isolated and paranoid because she's not greeted as a liberator would have worked, but they needed to lay a lot more groundwork for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

My goodness. So what? In the Blackwater battle scene the bells were rung to signal the beginning of the battle. Bells can have multiple uses. Even if that were a minor mistake, it wouldn't ruin the whole story.

Some people want to enjoy one of the greatest shows ever, some want just to find mistakes and moan, whine, hate. Why on earth? If you don't like the show, don't watch ist,

The irony of the first ten seconds....

...and then there's the background sounds of bells ringing and citywide commotion.

Oh and then there yet another dropped plotline in this video. About what Varys heard in the flames...

It's not about finding mistakes. It's about the mistakes -- big and small -- slapping you in the face while ruining the show you once loved. Like come on now.

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are showrunners for Game of Thrones, once professed and believed to be greatest television show on Earth. Yet, they contradict themselves by not re-watching one of the single biggest episodes of the entire show that they are creating....a show that is a blockbuster success that is knocking doors open for them.

They can't even re-watch and fact check the biggest moment in their own show.

That's a unforgivable mistake as far as entertainment, literature, storytelling, etc. are concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

It's not about finding mistakes.

It is. Many people are just here to moan, whine and hate. To find mistakes and slight inconsistencies.

Why not sharing what we enjoy? It still is the greatest show even so far. 

And yes, S1-5 were better. GRRM is missing in S7/8. I agree. It still is moaning a very high level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I think if they did 20 better episodes instead of 13 it could have worked, last night as #9 after a season where she feels isolated and paranoid because she's not greeted as a liberator would have worked, but they needed to lay a lot more groundwork for that.

I guess that the books will have Dany duel it out with fAegon, all the while burining the city down. there will probably be a love story between Jon and her, but without her knowing  that he is a Targ until the bitter end, when Drogon doesn't kill him. Jon's character was also butchered in the show because he had to play the role of Jon and fAegon and real Aegon. rushed, rushed, rushed. that is the show's official motto.

Edited by Han Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kajjo said:

It is. Many people are just here to moan, whine and hate. To find mistakes and slight inconsistencies.

Why not sharing what we enjoy? It still is the greatest show even so far. 

And yes, S1-5 were better. GRRM is missing in S7/8. I agree. It still is moaning a very high level.

Did you watch the first ten seconds of the video I posted?

Notice how Varys is the one to make the comment.

We're not talking about mistakes on a Starbucks coffee cup level. We're talking about plot holes, deus ex machinas, out-of-character heel face turns, massive continuity errors, poorly defined or unexplained purposes and objectives for characters, sweeping worldbuilding contradictions, senseless retroactive continuity corrections, choosing spectacle over substance again and again

Come on now.

They can't even do what everyone learns how to do in the first three years of elementary school: show and tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do believe that the intent was for at least one more season, to give more time to build up to this finish, and that some outside forces made them end it a season or 2 early.

That limited the ability to build properly, but its no excuse for all of it.

At a minimum, if they were limited to 2 final seasons and struggling to finish the story why reduce the number of episodes per year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laughed for one entire hour. 

Haven’t see one minute of sense. 

Haven’t had one moment of feeling something. 

But there were like ten times when I wanted to switch it off and check online if any plot advancement happened. 

the conclusion that led me to is: 1/10 and no it didn’t even look that great. The visuals too, just like the show, became repetitive and boring. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I gave it a 10. 

Not gonna lie, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Drogon destroy KL. The show has been dead to me a long time ago.

Edited by Crona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Notice how Varys is the one to make the comment.

About how he hates the bells because they always mean something bad has happened. What of it? How is that evidence of your scorching evaluation on the show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

We're not talking about mistakes on a Starbucks coffee cup level. We're talking about plot holes, deus ex machinas, out-of-character heel face turns, massive continuity errors, poorly defined or unexplained purposes and objectives for characters, sweeping worldbuilding contradictions, senseless retroactive continuity corrections, choosing spectacle over substance again and again

 Come on now.

They can't even do what everyone learns how to do in the first three years of elementary school: show and tell.

You’re looking at it all wrong. All those things are going to become super relevant and it’s all about some awesome shocking twists! You’ll see, just wait for the next series. Oh wait...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kajjo said:

My goodness. So what? In the Blackwater battle scene the bells were rung to signal the beginning of the battle. Bells can have multiple uses. Even if that were a minor mistake, it wouldn't ruin the whole story.

Some people want to enjoy one of the greatest shows ever, some want just to find mistakes and moan, whine, hate. Why on earth? If you don't like the show, don't watch ist,

are you D&D? you seem to be obsessed with defending terrible plot, dreadful character development and increasingly bad dialogue. I am geniunely concerned by your asertions that people who have been rejected by the one they love and lose a few close friends casually move on to mass murder if they don't get what they want. You must have some grasp of that not being rational. by your logic you should stop coming to these threads if you don't like our opinions. We are all here because we used to love this show and or love the books.

Edited by darksellsword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

About how he hates the bells because they always mean something bad has happened. What of it? How is that evidence of your scorching evaluation on the show?

Because he and Tyrion are having a conversation about it.

The bells of King's Landing aren't a good sign. Only a naive person (like Davos' son Matthos) believes that it means surrender and calls for peace. Everyone else from Stannis, the Hound, Davos, Tyrion, Sansa (!!!), Shae, Cersei, Podrick, Varys, Bronn, the unnamed extras and Tyrion knows what the bells mean...

The fact that Tyrion and Varys have a conversation about the bells with both of them well aware of the doom it foretells is evidence of my scorching evaluation.

D&D don't or won't even keep tabs on their own show. The Battle of the Blackwater episode is one of their finest moments. Why wouldn't they use the trophy as a reference point? Most people put their trophies in highly visible places so that they can look at them, reminisce and use them as a reference storytelling point. Why wouldn't they? Honoring their own work would have led to them realizing that the use of the city bells to drive Daenerys nuts and signify surrender wasn't a good idea.

They are incompetent. They contradict themselves and, in doing so, ruin many key tenets of their own show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Knifegrinder said:

 

i was looking for Michael Bay in the credits. Beniwhoof and unWeiss have managed to take a layered complex character driven story  and turn it into little more than medieval transformers...SHAME! SHAME!

Miguel Sapochnik is his pseudonym. His nom de foreigner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×