Jump to content
Ran

[Poll] How would you rate episode 805?

How would you rate episode 805?   

486 members have voted

  1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

    • 1
      132
    • 2
      38
    • 3
      29
    • 4
      22
    • 5
      42
    • 6
      32
    • 7
      31
    • 8
      53
    • 9
      55
    • 10
      52


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Elayis said:

I have no problem with Mad Queen Dany, but the show has not put in the time and effort to earn that ending. What was her reasoning behind burning all of King's Landing? I don't know, because the episode never explained it. One of the pivotal moments in the entire series and D&D fell flat on their faces.

I think the scene between Dany and Jon gave a fairly obvious explanation with the "It's fear then" line. Dany doesn't believe she can ever be loved or that Jon will always be loved more and that provides her with plenty of motivation to trump that with fear.

On another note, people are complaining about Drogon suddenly being able to avoid the Scorpion Ballistas even when there were many more of them but that isn't taking into account the fact that when he was hit by Bronn it was a result of Dany flying straight at him and when Rhaegal was hit it was a result of ambush. None of the dragons have ever been hit by them when they actively trying to avoid it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stonelands said:

I think the scene between Dany and Jon gave a fairly obvious explanation with the "It's fear then" line. Dany doesn't believe she can ever be loved or that Jon will always be loved more and that provides her with plenty of motivation to trump that with fear.
 

That’s constitutes “putting in the time and effort to earn that ending” to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UnViserion said:

That’s constitutes “putting in the time and effort to earn that ending” to you?

On top of all the other foreshadowing that there has been in both this season and previous seasons that you apparently haven't picked up on,  I think it's passable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you remember on season 2 when Daenerys was in the house of the Undying there was a vision of the throne and i thought it was snow falling through the ceiling, but now i realized that were ashes. So my concern is if they knew it all along back to season 2, GRRM was definetely aware of this and probaly he told them this kind of finale... and this is a scary thought:bang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Spasa said:

So my concern is if they knew it all along back to season 2, GRRM was definetely aware of this and probaly he told them this kind of finale... and this is a scary thought

Of course, this third holy-shit moment was written by GRRM. 

The fate of Daenerys is pivotal to the whole story. This is not DD messing things up, but the fundamental outline of the story.

Daenerys has been clearly depicted to be ruthless, greedy for power, violent and callous from the beginning on. Some people paid no attention, other were blinded by the charisma of Emilia Clarke, but the character Daenerys was clearly going that way all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Of course, this third holy-shit moment was written by GRRM. 

The fate of Daenerys is pivotal to the whole story. This is not DD messing things up, but the fundamental outline of the story.

Daenerys has been clearly depicted to be ruthless, greedy for power, violent and callous from the beginning on. Some people paid no attention, other were blinded by the charisma of Emilia Clarke, but the character Daenerys was clearly going that way all the time.

my concerns were not really about her, i was hoping that the winter could have got to KL and more storyline given to the WW...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Of course, this third holy-shit moment was written by GRRM. 

The fate of Daenerys is pivotal to the whole story. This is not DD messing things up, but the fundamental outline of the story.

Daenerys has been clearly depicted to be ruthless, greedy for power, violent and callous from the beginning on. Some people paid no attention, other were blinded by the charisma of Emilia Clarke, but the character Daenerys was clearly going that way all the time.

Completely agree. I've just read the best article on the episode which makes this point and more. The only point at which I'd depart is being much stronger criticising D&D, but the story itself has GRRM behind it and is entirely consistent.

Game of Thrones’ King’s Landing horror fittingly reveals what the show has always been about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

pletely agree. I've just read the best article on the episode which makes this point and more. The only point at which I'd depart is being much stronger criticising D&D, but the story itself has GRRM behind it and is entirely consistent.

Game of Thrones’ King’s Landing horror fittingly reveals what the show has always been about

Very good linked article, summing up my points quite well... ;-)

Thank you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Daenerys going dark interesting? Yes!

Is a raging Daenerys flying over King's Landing on her magnificent dragon burning everything to the ground while women, children and men run screaming in the streets an epic, powerful image that evokes a range of emotions in the viewers? Yes!

Does it say something about how power corrupts? Yes!

Was it earned? No!  ... !!!!!

It was a cool scene, an interesting turn, but since we've followed Dany through several seasons, it made no sense.

"She is a Targaryen" just isn't enough of an explanation. By that logic, Jon is just as dangerous as her, and Varys shouldn't have supported her from the beginning.

I don't mind where the story went, I just mind that it didn't take us there on a step by step journey until we could look back at her snapping and realize that it was inevitable. Instead it gave us a few instances where Dany was unstable and ruthless, and used that as an excuse to teleport to a conclusion for the story that just isn't earned.

It's bad writing. The characters deserve better. The fans deserve better. The show deserves better. George deserves better. 

These writers don't understand human psychology. They don't understand storytelling. They don't understand what made GOT great in the first place. 

But it's not their fault. Someone should have recognized this a long time ago and replaced those writers with someone competent. I blame HBO. I hope they have the decency to apologize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Vanadis said:

Is Daenerys going dark interesting? Yes!

Is a raging Daenerys flying over King's Landing on her magnificent dragon burning everything to the ground while women, children and men run screaming in the streets an epic, powerful image that evokes a range of emotions in the viewers? Yes!

Does it say something about how power corrupts? Yes!

Was it earned? No!  ... !!!!!

It was a cool scene, an interesting turn, but since we've followed Dany through several seasons, it made no sense.

"She is a Targaryen" just isn't enough of an explanation. By that logic, Jon is just as dangerous as her, and Varys shouldn't have supported her from the beginning.

I don't mind where the story went, I just mind that it didn't take us there on a step by step journey until we could look back at her snapping and realize that it was inevitable. Instead it gave us a few instances where Dany was unstable and ruthless, and used that as an excuse to teleport to a conclusion for the story that just isn't earned.

It's bad writing. The characters deserve better. The fans deserve better. The show deserves better. George deserves better. 

These writers don't understand human psychology. They don't understand storytelling. They don't understand what made GOT great in the first place. 

But it's not their fault. Someone should have recognized this a long time ago and replaced those writers with someone competent. I blame HBO. I hope they have the decency to apologize.

Completely on board with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this episode was rubbish and its tiring to read apologists defending this trash. please go back watch some season 1-5 episodes, switch to season 8 and wake up. one more episode and its buried dead, finally. what a shame to say this. 1/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Vanadis said:

But it's not their fault. Someone should have recognized this a long time ago and replaced those writers with someone competent. I blame HBO. I hope they have the decency to apologize.

I don't think you can blame HBO when you know the history. GRRM had spurned many offers to adapt his novels until D&D made their pitch TO HIM. They convinced GRRM had they had a good understanding of the books (although you could argue that they just got lucky in guessing who Jon's father was). They did do an excellent job of adapting the books - as GRRM says, they did better than 97% of books-to-TV/movie adaptations.

The problem is that they turned out to lack the necessary talent to continue in-depth character development and logical plot progression without GRRM's source material to go on. Firstly, GRRM fully expected to have finished the last 2 books and never put them in that position, and secondly, how could HBO execs know this would happen 5+ years down the line? Would sacking D&D at that point and bringing in a fresh team of screenwriters have prevented this? Maybe yes but probably no; it would have been a huge and unpopular gamble given that D&D had built up huge public confidence. No, can't blame anyone.

Edited by House Cambodia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, GilletteMace said:

one more episode and its buried dead, finally. what a shame to say this. 1/10

Currently 111 rating it at 1/10

Speaks much to the current state of the show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wsc48 said:

Currently 111 rating it at 1/10

Speaks much to the current state of the show. 

I'll be honest, I think that giving it such a low rating speaks much more to the fact that people are angry at the turn of Dany's character, rather than this particular episode which was beautifully shot and directed, somehow vastly worse than any of the previous 70 eps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Wsc48 said:

Currently 111 rating it at 1/10

Speaks much to the current state of the show. 

For me it proves that the effects, the smoke, the large production, costumes and everything else, can't just buy common sense and logic that people always search in a story. Despite their effort to make this as impressive as possible if the script falls apart, everything falls apart with it.  

Edited by Nightwish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×