Arya and the Horse

5 hours ago, bran stark overdrive said:

I don't think the appearance of the horse was related to/caused by Bran.

No, I don't think so. Why should it? That is a crazy idea altogether.

3 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Arya and the Horse is a reference to the Girl in Grey fire-vision from Melisandre in the ADWD book ... a girl in grey, grey as ashes, on a dying horse, Jon Snow's sister. It's a big deal for R'hllor.

This. 

2 hours ago, Hoo said:

Btw, the horse looked like Jamie's horse, no?

For me it looks exactly like the horse the commander of the Golden Company had in front of his troops before the battle commences.

12 hours ago, Kajjo said:

No, I don't think so. Why should it? That is a crazy idea altogether.

Fully agree with you, and that's much of why I made the thread; at time of posting the only suggestions I'd read were "it was Bran warging a horse" and "Arya just has magic powers", neither of which made sense. Some fantastic insight in here now though, as I expected!

I still think the horse was down to legalization of pot in the US.

I firmly believe the following scene to be authentic.

Dude, we still have to write an entire season, without source material.

Yeah, dude. People like Arya, let's include her in every episode.

Yeah, we should include Arya, people really like her.

What if she had magical horse, you know, like Pegasus, or a unicorn.

Yeah, that would be so cool, but dude, we have to use our cgi budget on like 5 big battles.

Right, how about a magical horse that survives dragon fire and can appear from the ashes of a dragon attack.

Yeah, that would be so cool.

Say what you will, I don't think this scene was any worse than whatever they've done for the final season TV movies.

I hated this scene, it was about as cheesy and crigeworthy as it could get. I enjoyed the episode loads as well and then the very last scene was like a slap in the face.

Theorize all you want but its this simple, the white horse signifys purity and Arya is the pure hero of the show. She stands for whats all right in the world (despite being a homicidal murderer of course) and shes off to kill the butcher of Kings Landing. That's and riding off on a pale horse to end the show is a cool way to go out, like an old western. That's all it meant, Youll see nothing of it next week.

I thought it was to signify that Arya was getting the hell outta Dodge.

She consciously let go her thirst for revenge, and after seeing all the carnage of KL she's done with killing and that life, and is just getting away from it all (for good).

I'm hoping she isn't in next episode at all - except for, after everything else is tied-up, we see her in the very last scene of the show hanging out with Nymeria.

(I don't watch the trailers, so could easily be completely off-tangent if she was in the trailer!).

So far, too survive fire (mostly unharmed) while everything around getting burned you had to be Bronn or Daenerys. But i guess Arya (again) and the horse just were lucky. Sorry for the sarcasm. :)

In a week it's over and we'll know. I'm not much into signs at this point, especially when it comes to Arya.

15 hours ago, theladyinspring said:

I'm not sure why the prophecies would have anything to do with Game of Thrones at this point. Nor why Rh'llor would still be involved at this point now that the army of the dead is defeated, what's his deal in Westeros? Nobody even follows him there but he's super serious about Westeros.

You'll recall that Davos asked the very same question in 804. You can bet that line wasn't some sort of accident.

16 hours ago, Hoo said:

Definitely foreshadowing.  She rises from the rubles and the horse appears as if godsent.

Sometimes what looks like a godsent horse really is a horse sent by a god.

Wouldn't that be a shocker? Or maybe schlocker.

Just don't look it in the mouth.

Was the horse she went south on white? I thought she was for sure a goner, surprised she survived the episode in fact. I'm a big Arya fan though so I hope she survives the show but I'm not expecting it. In fact my expectations are very low for many surviving. I think the white horse is emblematic, how I don't know however.

On 13 May 2019 at 1:02 AM, The Map Guy said:

But I theorize that Jon does have a real sister in the books.

Are you a believer in the R+L=J&M theory? I could definitely (or would like to) see that playing out in the books after having been cut from the show for the sake of simplicity. Even a step further towards crackpot territory, since D&D like to combine characters, I could see some of Arya's current storyline belonging to Meera in the books, especially if the Jon's sister theory proves to be true. She would at least make sense, prophetically, to be suggested as AAR/PTWP having been born of Rhaegar's line, and she and Arya have enough similarities to possibly make them interchangeable in certain situations.
Gonna be a while before we know I suppose, but it's nice to have something left to theorize about.

11 hours ago, chatty83 said:

Theorize all you want but its this simple, the white horse signifys purity and Arya is the pure hero of the show. She stands for whats all right in the world (despite being a homicidal murderer of course) and shes off to kill the butcher of Kings Landing. That's and riding off on a pale horse to end the show is a cool way to go out, like an old western. That's all it meant, Youll see nothing of it next week.

This ^

In fantasy and fairytales the hero pure-at-heart is always on a white horse. This is Arya who has found her pure heart again, she gave up on revenge (as The Hound told her to do) and found her humanity again. The mystical soundtrack in the background seems to support this theory.

Of course there's still the possibility that it has been sent by Bran, who, having followed the battle, warged into the horse to help Arya escape.

Pity that he could not warg in Drogon and throw Dany directly in the bay.

It was done because it would look good, a little bit mystical and serene and fans will try to project some more interesting explanation onto it, saving the showrunners from needing to. There's no meaning and it will never be mentioned again.

There was also the wooden horse toy the little girl was holding as she was torched.

But for me, it reminded me of the scene with Nymeria...Arya almost spellbound as she approached the wolf. What were her words then? "It's not really you" or something?

3 minutes ago, Wagshell said:

It was done because it would look good, a little bit mystical and serene and fans will try to project some more interesting explanation onto it, saving the showrunners from needing to. There's no meaning and it will never be mentioned again.

Guess so.

It was a nice scene to leave the destroyed city, a little bit Western style.

1 minute ago, Skoboe said:

There was also the wooden horse toy the little girl was holding as she was torched.

Right, that was a white horse to. The burned toy was suppose to remind us on Shireen's death on the burning stake and how the horrors of Daenerys burning the city compares to that.

But yes, there might also be a connection to the horse Arya escapes on.

10 minutes ago, Spaßvogel said:

I think D&D just ripped off "Miracle" from Mel Brooks' History of The World Part 1. 

Ha! If he was a real Mel Brooks fan, The Mountain would be getting around on an ox and eating beans.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:15 AM, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

I regret not paying closer attention to the R'holler phrophecies. It is clear Arya still has a purpose to serve, probably to kill Dany.  I noticed Arya managed to dodge dragon fire but nearly died saving people. Arya only really saves people when she is killing.

The Red God's prophecies so far worked out, though Mel tended to interpret them in a wrong way. Such is the usual problem with prophecies. But if you look at the visions word for word and not her spin on them afterwards...

On 5/13/2019 at 8:22 AM, delikat said:

I thought it was the horse of the leader of the Golden Company (Harry Strickland)? When he died, they did an extra shot on the horse and it didn't look dead to me.

Not dead, but definitely injured, burned. May be dying (or at least bad enough Mel would consider it dying).

The White horse has several meanings I guess. For one just simple visual contrast, both with the carnage around and with the injuries to the horse. Another point would be the white horse of Arya not consumed with personal revenge. And of course... the Pale Horse of Death. 

Archived