Arya and the Horse

In its absolute simplest form, white horse is good guy. Arya is good, rides off on the white horse. Heroes are white, villains are black. What color was Dany wearing? Notice that it’s black now, unlike in Winterfell or North of the Wall when she rescued everyone from the wights.

16 hours ago, bran stark overdrive said:

Are you a believer in the R+L=J&M theory?

Um yeah, I think its safe to say that I subscribe to R+L=J&M lol

I even wrote a couple things for it here in this forum. Even had one of the parts banned and I still don't know why.

I want to write my seventh and final part - The Girl in Grey, on a Zombie Horse: the Dark Sister Rebellion, a book only theory.

But since it goes down the same rabbit hole as the banned theory, I'll just keep it classified. Its too bad, Tony Stark would of loved it.

On 14 May 2019 at 7:59 PM, The Map Guy said:

Um yeah, I think its safe to say that I subscribe to R+L=J&M lol

I even wrote a couple things for it here in this forum. Even had one of the parts banned and I still don't know why.

I want to write my seventh and final part - The Girl in Grey, on a Zombie Horse: the Dark Sister Rebellion, a book only theory.

But since it goes down the same rabbit hole as the banned theory, I'll just keep it classified. Its too bad, Tony Stark would of loved it.

D'oh, that's a shame, I would have probably loved it too. 

The more I think about it the more I think you're really on to something. Here's how I see it, assuming two things: 1, that D&D intentionally placed Arya in the AAR/TPTWP role (I believe they did) and 2, that GRRM will not retcon the prophecy the way D&D did (I will eat my proverbial hat if he does). If this is the case then book-AA would have to be someone who similar enough to Arya (at least in show-verse) that  Arya could take over their endgame role fairly easily. Since that person would need to be of Targaryen ancestry to be consistent with the prophecy, we're left with Jon, Dany,  Robert's bastards, fAegon and any as-of-yet unknown Targaryens (and surely I'm missing a few). I'm going to write off Jon and Dany from the start - if either of them were slated to be TPTWP in the books it seems too big a plot point for D&D to change. The others (Baratheons, fAegon et al) are possible, but I don't see D&D choosing Arya of all people to complete their hero arc. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's likely that GRRM's TPTWP is also female. That leaves us only the as-of-yet-unknown Targaryens. With the possibility that Jon may have had a twin who was taken in by Howland in mind, at least in the show the character most similar to Arya is Meera. D&D all but wrote Howland's existence out of the show and reduced Meera to a barely-secondary character - at first I thought this meant they had less importance in the books than I'd assumed, but now I'm thinking it may be the opposite. The show has juggled a fairly staggering amount of main characters, it makes some sense that they would aim to trim that down on behalf of the viewers (whether we like it or not). We have already seen D&D combine GRRM's characters and give storylines that belonged to a book character to a different character in the show (Gendry/Edric is a good example, though Meera exists in the show while Edric was wiped completely). I posit that D&D's choice of Arya to carry the TPTWP role suggests that R+L=J&M and book-AA will be Meera.

Thank you for your insight, The Map Guy. If you have the time, would you mind linking me to some of your posts on the theory?

7 hours ago, bran stark overdrive said:

D'oh, that's a shame, I would have probably loved it too. 

The more I think about it the more I think you're really on to something. Here's how I see it, assuming two things: 1, that D&D intentionally placed Arya in the AAR/TPTWP role (I believe they did) and 2, that GRRM will not retcon the prophecy the way D&D did (I will eat my proverbial hat if he does). If this is the case then book-AA would have to be someone who similar enough to Arya (at least in show-verse) that  Arya could take over their endgame role fairly easily. Since that person would need to be of Targaryen ancestry to be consistent with the prophecy, we're left with Jon, Dany,  Robert's bastards, fAegon and any as-of-yet unknown Targaryens (and surely I'm missing a few). I'm going to write off Jon and Dany from the start - if either of them were slated to be TPTWP in the books it seems too big a plot point for D&D to change. The others (Baratheons, fAegon et al) are possible, but I don't see D&D choosing Arya of all people to complete their hero arc. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's likely that GRRM's TPTWP is also female. That leaves us only the as-of-yet-unknown Targaryens. With the possibility that Jon may have had a twin who was taken in by Howland in mind, at least in the show the character most similar to Arya is Meera. D&D all but wrote Howland's existence out of the show and reduced Meera to a barely-secondary character - at first I thought this meant they had less importance in the books than I'd assumed, but now I'm thinking it may be the opposite. The show has juggled a fairly staggering amount of main characters, it makes some sense that they would aim to trim that down on behalf of the viewers (whether we like it or not). We have already seen D&D combine GRRM's characters and give storylines that belonged to a book character to a different character in the show (Gendry/Edric is a good example, though Meera exists in the show while Edric was wiped completely). I posit that D&D's choice of Arya to carry the TPTWP role suggests that R+L=J&M and book-AA will be Meera.

I am 100% sure D&D does not know about R+L=J&M.

Before GRRM approved the HBO deal in ~2009, GRRM tricked D&D by asking "Who is Jon Snow's real mother?" That was a trick question.

During the script-writes for Season 5, D&D decided not to add Lady Stoneheart, making Jon fight at Hardhome, and Stannis losing the battle at Winterfell. GRRM was probably "fuck these guys, they don't know anything" and GRRM bails out on show's scripts.

GRRM probably gave D&D pointers for the rest of the series. They are probably:

• Hodor means "hold the door" (but GRRM probably never stated magic/time-travel was involved)
  • Shireen gets burned (but GRRM probably never stated that it was Mel that did it)
  • The Girl in Grey kills all the White Walkers (D&D did their version BUT Arya is not Jon's sister like the book-vision implies)
  • After all the White Walkers are defeated, King's Landing still gets attack by a single dragon (D&D assumed it was Dany)
  • Dany dies on the throne (probably, we'll see Sunday)

I think GRRM gave D&D hints, but they were intentional mis-directions. D&D interpreted all these pointers wrong.

Anything after Season 5 was all messed up, ESPECIALLY this season.

7 hours ago, bran stark overdrive said:

Thank you for your insight, The Map Guy. If you have the time, would you mind linking me to some of your posts on the theory?

Welcome. I'll PM you.

If you read any of my theories, it calls out Star Wars for the delay of the ASOIAF books. Because of these book delays, this GoT season sucked ass.

So essentially the ROOT of why HBO Game of Thrones Season 8 is so terrible is because of ... Star Wars. And I'm serious. :P

D&D have mentioned that they were aware of the Bible when writing the horse bit:

"When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, “Come and see!” I looked and there before me was a grey horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword,... (Revelation 6:7-8)"

So Ayra may now be seen as death personified killing by sword. Which would be appropriate because she pretty much is death and currently only Dany has killed more than her in the entire saga. 

On 5/13/2019 at 2:57 AM, Hoo said:

I don't see why Arya would hate Dany for the destruction of King's Landing.

There has to be another reason to kill her.

I totally agree. Especiall after everyone wanted her father beheaded, and cheered when it happened.

Yep, Ayra will think badly of Dany but not consider it her business to kill her. Ayra only cares about her family. Dany will attack the North (therefore Sansa) and Ayra will kill her because she threatened her family directly.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:48 PM, bran stark overdrive said:

I've read a lot of comments about this in the main thread and I think it deserves its own. 

I don't think the appearance of the horse was related to/caused by Bran. Though anything is possible, the scene looked to me like further suggestion that Arya is Azor Ahai Reborn. Bran is capable of a lot, but in the past when we've seen deus ex machina events such as these it's been attributed to the Lord of Light. Especially with the fire and light imagery behind them, it struck me hard as an allusion to R'hllor, and the idea that Arya can't die because she has something left to do for tLoL (trying to stop Dany seems likely now). The amount of time spent showing Arya can't be killed points to this also, imo.

What do you all think?

I doubt there's anything more to this than Arya getting lucky and finding a horse.

I said it before and now just repeat: I think the horse symbolizes Silver - Daenerys' horse from the beginning of the show. When the queen was still a young, tender girl, and not a "dragon". Horse is now stained with blood, like Dany herself. Riding a white horse Arya returns her humanity, after years of being faceless killer. Dany lost humanity, and Arya found it.

After the show writers pissed of their female feminist audience who cheered every plot hole as long as it served girl's power they had to somehow conciliate them. As every girl loves horses they reminded everybody on the most famous feminist moment in tv history (Arya killing the night king) and combined it with a horse. 

Seriously I din't think there ist any logic left in the show. 

41 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Which is of course why they chose the stunning lighting, camera angles, and music that accompanied those shots.

If it's supposed to signify anything at all, then I'm wrong. And at this point in the nuttiness that is season 8, couldn't care less.

I have a question that keeps coming to mind. Not sure it's important or relevant or anything but if it's indeed Strickland's horse, what happened to its saddle? It had it when the horse went down then the next time we see the horse, at the end, it's gone. Somebody would had to have removed it purposely, right? I can't see how the horse could've lost the saddle without it being removed by someone that makes logical sense. Saddles just don't fall off and I would think anything that could've damaged the saddle enough for it to fall off surely would've killed the horse (I'm thinking dragonfire).

On 5/14/2019 at 12:54 PM, Runaway Penguin said:

The Red God's prophecies so far worked out, though Mel tended to interpret them in a wrong way. Such is the usual problem with prophecies. But if you look at the visions word for word and not her spin on them afterwards...

Not dead, but definitely injured, burned. May be dying (or at least bad enough Mel would consider it dying).

The White horse has several meanings I guess. For one just simple visual contrast, both with the carnage around and with the injuries to the horse. Another point would be the white horse of Arya not consumed with personal revenge. And of course... the Pale Horse of Death. 

Especially the pale horse, but also the R'holler prophecy.

Arya has been a princess due to Rob and Jon being Kings. They didn't say it in the tv show but in the books Arya was referred to as a little princess when Rob was king. But R'holler and the prince that was promised was not necessarily the same person. I was running on the assumption that Jon and Dany represented one each. Dany is the only one to hatch dragons from stones in fire. I give up trying to make sense of it. Prophecies always play out but emerge in unexpected ways.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:02 PM, chatty83 said:

I hated this scene, it was about as cheesy and crigeworthy as it could get. I enjoyed the episode loads as well and then the very last scene was like a slap in the face.

Theorize all you want but its this simple, the white horse signifys purity and Arya is the pure hero of the show. She stands for whats all right in the world (despite being a homicidal murderer of course) and shes off to kill the butcher of Kings Landing. That's and riding off on a pale horse to end the show is a cool way to go out, like an old western. That's all it meant, Youll see nothing of it next week.

Think I called this pretty well other than she actually did nothing (though she was planning on killing Dany at the start). Basically meant nothing but it looked cool and we never saw it again. predictable.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, CrypticWeirwood said:

Which is of course why they chose the stunning lighting, camera angles, and music that accompanied those shots.

But in the final episode - poof - the horse is gone and we're left with just our speculation from ep 5

Archived