Arya Stark Screentime: What Gives?

Nihiloth90

It was about subverting expectations. Everyone assumed Arya will assasinate someone, but it did NOT happen. Aren't you amazed????

Cutting my sarcasm: she probably served as a POV character to show us the destruction from civilian perspective. 

I loved the Arya scenes in E5. They were so good. Really nicely done.

First they show this great redemption arc of The Hound who realized how he messed up his own life and successfully tries to stop Arya from going the same path of wasted life for the wrong notion of revenge.

Then they use Arya to show us how the common people suffer in the streets of King's Landing. She is not a hero there, just a person trying to survive and witnessing the horrors of warfare, the horrors of Daenerys snapping into Mad Queen. We see burned people holding each other, suffering, losing dear one. Arya not as hero but as sort of commoner experiencing suffering and helping people, showing courage and perseverance is great and makes Arya so much more humane here.

The Arya scenes were not only a great instrument to showing the horrors, but important turning point for two important characters we have seen from S1 onwards. Sandor Clegane and Arya having their moment closest to friendship and mutual respect. She learns from him and understands. 

I liked it so much that she did not kill someone, but needed to escape and survive, to help and support. To understand life is worth living.

2 minutes ago, Nihiloth90 said:

I fucking hated them!

In my opinion, Arya was our guide through the average person's struggle in Kingslanding.  I think of it like Harry Potter or A New Hope with Luke Skywalker.  They were a focal point to explain the intricacies of a world that we do not know.  She was the only character that made sense to be our guide through the fall of Kingslanding and to immerse with the common people because she actually knows her way around it.  She had fled the Red Keep before so it's believable that she would know where she is going.  It also would not have been the same if we were stuck following the little girl with the horse, at least for me.

8 hours ago, Nihiloth90 said:

This episode sucked either way, but what is with all of these mini-storylines regarding Arya that GO NOWHERE?

She'll probably kill the queen AND become a queen. Guessing from the screen time

7 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

She was the only character that made sense to be our guide through the fall of Kingslanding and to immerse with the common people because she actually knows her way around it. 

Yes, it make so much sense to follow a character we care for and we know and see the incredible hardship through this tough girl. Even she almost dies. We can sympathize with the common people.

We do not simply see scenes of suffering people, we see them together will a well-known character. This is nicely done.

Episode 5 showed us another side of Arya: Stopping her revenge run on Cersei, withdraw, and saying "Thank you" to Sandor. I really liked this.

The scenes with Arya in the burning streets *may* have been important, if she is ever going to meet her brother again.

21 minutes ago, Simon Tam said:

Episode 5 showed us another side of Arya: Stopping her revenge run on Cersei, withdraw, and saying "Thank you" to Sandor. I really liked this.

I also felt she knew she had another mission and that Cersei would be handled without her

Archived