They did it.

Ser Loras The Gay

Just now, Hoo said:

She had wanted to burn the city since the get go.  The only thing preventing her were her advisers.

Burning the Red Keep from the get-go (never wanted to burn the city from the get-go) would have been the wiser and kinder thing to do.

She had terrible advisors that put her in a pretty bad situation

2 minutes ago, Hoo said:

She had wanted to burn the city since the get go.  The only thing preventing her were her advisers.

Daeny got plenty of burning revenge against Euron and could have just burned the red keep. Instead she burned innocent people running for their lives. That’s not inline with her character . 

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Burning the Red Keep from the get-go (never wanted to burn the city from the get-go) would have been the wiser and kinder thing to do.

Okay,  But the story had been, she wants to burn the city down, there is military there.  Red Keep alone is not enough.  And her advisers kept stopping her, i.e. it's not wise, people will hate you, you do not want to rule by fear, etc.

In this episode and the last, they pulled that option under her by betrayals.

18 minutes ago, darmody said:

They shouldda skipped her season 7 storyline if they were going to do it this way. Unless the "love story" with Jon is going to pay off. Which I doubt. 

It already did. She let John in her heart, and he betrayed her by telling Sansa. Then he rejected her love int he scene byt he fire. I think that's what broke her--fear it is. 

I don't agree with what Daeny did in S8E5, but I can see how they set it up to not totally be out of character for her. She's always had the potential to break and give in to her fiery temper--she finally did.

7 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Why?

Because of Aerys II? Jon in the books idolized the Targaryens. And many of them burned people alive with their dragons. It's kind of their staple.

No, because he's disgusted whenever people do it? Which is a normal reaction. To cooking people alive.

Jon learns what Targaryens are like, just like Sansa learned what princes are like. 

Although I would say he caught on earlier than her. 

7 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

No Robb Stark is a man that got played by his advisers...Dany actually had decent people behind her.

6 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

No Robb Stark is a man that got played by his advisers...Dany actually had decent people behind her.

Tyrion told her to stay on Dragonstone and wait for Jon Snow and the Brotherhood to die beyond the Wall...when the whole thing was his idea.

15 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Tyrion told her to stay on Dragonstone and wait for Jon Snow and the Brotherhood to die beyond the Wall...when the whole thing was his idea.

Ok granted they made mistakes but they weren't deliberately setting out to ruin her. Robb on the other hand had conspirators and people he loved make horrible mistakes that cost him in the long run.

1 hour ago, darmody said:

They shouldda skipped her season 7 storyline if they were going to do it this way. Unless the "love story" with Jon is going to pay off. Which I doubt. 

I thought this is the main reason of her madness. Jon simply refuses to bed her.

2 hours ago, adiman83 said:

I'm honestly surprised she didn't go down this path earlier. Targaryens always walked a very fine line between greatness and total madness. 

That's not the problem, they should have build up her up to this like they do in the books.

People wouldn't have a problem with her going mad if it made sense. They do since they white washed her character for 7 seasons, then boom in 3 episodes she goes mad.

It's pathetic writing.

9 minutes ago, MagicPen said:

That's not the problem, they should have build up her up to this like they do in the books.

People wouldn't have a problem with her going mad if it made sense. They do since they white washed her character for 7 seasons, then boom in 3 episodes she goes mad.

It's pathetic writing.

Oh, I agree it was rushed. 

Yes, they did it. I'm glad they did instead of giving Dany the throne just because she is a fan favorite.

4 hours ago, darmody said:

Agree. While her Mad Queen character was always going to happen, Dany S7 and Dany S8 are quite a big change. They should have made more Mad Dany hints and actions in S7.

4 hours ago, adiman83 said:

I'm honestly surprised she didn't go down this path earlier. Targaryens always walked a very fine line between greatness and total madness. 

Agree.

7 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

So, they actually fucking did it. They made Dany kill almost everyone in KL just to make her crazyness believable. They rushed with her madness in 3 episodes, didn't make any groundwork, they simply wanted that way and did it. They transformed Dany in a killing machine without emotions, just biterness and hate.

Nice way to end her character. Holy shit.

I was talking to a friend about this. This should have been an end of a regular season episode. It would have been really good. If it was 10 episode seasons and we saw for 10 episodes Dany slowly become mad, it could have been really effective. The slow madness could have seeped in nicely and they obviously wanted to shoot lots of explosions, so they could still have this exact episode. Then you have a season of trying to take her down and if the WW are still around, them as well..

This is what gets me so frustrated with their decision to shorten the seasons. There is obviously way more material there to be explored, they just didn't feel like it.

Khal Drogo in Season 1: "I will kill the men in their iron suits and tear down their stone houses. I will rape their women, take their children as slaves..." Dany has an orgasm right there.

Dany Season 6 to the Dothraki: "Will you kill my enemies in their iron suits and tear down their stone houses?"

Dany Season 8: She does exactly that and then some.

Audience Season 8: Now this is rather abrupt. I don't understand where this is all coming from suddenly.

7 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Khal Drogo in Season 1: "I will kill the men in their iron suits and tear down their stone houses. I will rape their women, take their children as slaves..." Dany has an orgasm right there.

Dany Season 6 to the Dothraki: "Will you kill my enemies in their iron suits and tear down their stone houses?"

Dany Season 8: She does exactly that and then some.

Audience Season 8: Now this is rather abrupt. I don't understand where this is all coming from suddenly.

I partially agree with this. I still think the execution was deeply flawed but I think that in the books and in the show, they kinda want to show that we as the audience are hypocrites. As in, we have rooted for Dany all the other times that she did some questionable things but now we aren’t so sure.

Archived