What the fuck did I just watch?

Ninerings

I just kept asking, but why? But why? Over and over and over again. Writing and character choices big and small, but why? But why?

I've seen a few people say this was like Red Wedding, but I didn't wonder why any of that happened. I just desperately wished it hadn't, and thought back to all the things that the characters could have done differently so it didn't happen. But every happening made sense in that moment and afterwards.

With this, while it was a grand spectacle indeed with great shots, so much of it was questionable and unearned and leaves me with so many questions that will never be answered, and they're really basic questions, not interesting or deep questions so I don't even care.

2 hours ago, darksellsword said:

They gave us the Anakin Skywalker killing all of the Sandpeople storyline in game of thrones, I supposed D&D are already rehearsing for that Crappy Star wars trilogy they will be writing and producing.

More like Order 66 :P, except that was great in SW, Danys burning the city down was beyond terrible plot wise.

4 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

In the books is far more obvious that she will go mad and burn KL.

I just finished a re-read of the books. As far as I can recall, Dany has done very little burning. I do not mean to to rude, but could you give some some examples that Dany will go mad?

11 minutes ago, Beathag said:

I just finished a re-read of the books. As far as I can recall, Dany has done very little burning. I do not mean to to rude, but could you give some some examples that Dany will go mad?

There are several, right now i’m at work so i will leave ou just some links with quotes:

https://www.google.ro/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/7ku5wa/spoilers_twow_rethinking_the_mad_queen_theory

There are several, just search in google “daenerys mad queen theory asoiaf”.

6 hours ago, Centurion Piso said:

What we saw is the creation of Misters Benioff and Weiss with input from HBO corporate.  Fear not.  The novels are not likely to take this turn.  

I believe this is the 3rd twist that GRRM Gifted D&D with. It’s probably going to happen in the books as well...it of course will be executed better but...

Ironic that so many of us have been complaining that the show whitewashes Dany for years, makes everyone over the top love her, makes it seem as if she will be the undisputed saviour of Westeros, and now finally, in the penultimate episode, she just turns completely evil.

If something like this happens in the books, it will make far more sense. There is already a better foundation for it:

Dragons plant no trees. Remember that. Remember who you are, what you were made to be. Remember your words.
"Fire and Blood," Daenerys told the swaying grass.

So we are already expecting here to go from very well intentioned, if somewhat delusional and reckless, to someone who is a lot harsher and a lot meaner in TWoW. But this didn't happen in the show. Also I like the idea that even if she remains a basically decent person, almost everyone will believe she is the mad queen, which might be a factor in her lashing out in future.

Point being this was completely idiotic to do with 2 episodes left and no where near enough buildup, even if this was the ending that Martin made, the show could have changed that as they did with so much else. And that is what they should have done if it made sense for the show.

But as evidenced by what they did to Jaime, they have no idea what makes sense for the characters in this show.

Can't even describe how I'm feeling right now, I stopped caring too much several seasons ago, the "conclusion" of the Long Night killed ended any residual attachment I had. Yet somehow the ruination of Varys, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, Dany and probably others, IDEK, just in this one episode still manages to hurt and it fucking sucks.

8 hours ago, -Winterfellian- said:

With any luck the reason D&D will be let go of the Star Wars Universe. One can hope.

Star Wars is already a dead franchise - it wont matter if they get a shot or not.

7 hours ago, Squall said:

The destruction of prophecies, dreams and fan theories.

I wonder which bullet points of GRRM remain in the rubble. It's difficult to maintain season 8 is part of canon... What a letdown.

You obviously never got into the Lucifer is light bringer or Ragnarok theories - the book and show have foreshadowed a violent cleansing of a corrupted world from the start.

8 hours ago, -Winterfellian- said:

With any luck the reason D&D will be let go of the Star Wars Universe. One can hope.

Or KK after seeing this crazy mess they did with GOT decides to fire them, even before they start writing anything near SW.

That would be sweet.

8 hours ago, Targaryen Peas said:

Aren't they supposed to follow GRRM's ending? With all due respect to the old man. The ending that we can see coming with ep5 + leaks, is a shitty ending. 

The problem is that GRRM promised his fans a bittersweet ending like in LoTR. Most of them are Jon's fans, or Daenerys fans or Tyrion's fans.
The lives of Jon, Dany and Tyrion have been completely a tragic mess from beginning  and now, without hope in the end. Not all of them had expected a Targaryen restauration  nor a perfect life for Tyrion but the story is heading to an atrocious depressing ending for these characters. 
(Of course more elaborate, more logically and very vague foreshadow and the more cynical in the books). 
Who would want to read a story in which all the major characters are dead or turned from light gray into dark gray or even worse? 
No matter the journey, the end will be the same. The results are seen in a dramatic decrease of the rating and unfortunately the end of the series will affect the readers too. GRRM will lose many fans.

9 hours ago, Centurion Piso said:

What we saw is the creation of Misters Benioff and Weiss with input from HBO corporate.  Fear not.  The novels are not likely to take this turn.  

I'm afraid they will. Maybe more devious, but they will. GRRM said that the end will  be the same. After this fiasco the only hope is that GRRM will change the end and  he will decide to give us a true Dream of Spring and not this Nightmare of Spring. 
But I doubt about this.

As Dany went on to burn civilians, I'm just sitting here thinking back to her going "I'm not here to be the queen of the ashes....." then this episode she just went "lol jk guys she killed my translator dracarys" :rofl:

In the books I'm sure she will do this but GRRM will actually build to it properly trhey're are already many hints of it in there but in the show? Pretty much none except for the past few episodes. Can anybody else hear the word "rushed"?

Archived