What the fuck did I just watch?

Ninerings

2 hours ago, Staenerys Stargaryen said:

Cersei saying the red keep has never fallen.... Roberts rebellion? Why don't we ask Ellia Martell if its ever been over run....

What even made her so sure that it wouldn't fall NOW?

All the crossbows were placed on the outer walls of the city. Not even a single one was placed to protect the Red Keep. What, did she think her zombie would protect her from the dragon?

9 hours ago, Centurion Piso said:

What we saw is the creation of Misters Benioff and Weiss with input from HBO corporate.  Fear not.  The novels are not likely to take this turn.  

But will they ever be finished?  I think you should be afraid. If you've read AFFC and ADWD you realize there's no way GRRM can finish this in 7 books. And his 6th book is going on 8 years and counting to finish. With his involvement in the upcoming prequels his focus will continue to be scattered like it has the past 8 years.

I think that even if the endings are the same the way they happen will be much more satisfying in the books. I mean, take any single event that the show adapted... like the Red Wedding, or Blackwater, or Arya's time in Harrenhal and compare with the books. Even the scenes that were fairly true to the books are clearly inferior in detail, emotion, logic and depth. I believe that even at his lowest RR Martin is far above HBO's highest. So if for instance Stannis burns her daughter in the books I'm sure that reading it would be a much more amazing experience than watching it on the series.

10 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

In the books is far more obvious that she will go mad and burn KL.

This wasn't mad this was just stupid and unnecesary. They had her go after the people first rather then cersei. I see dany doing brutal stuff in the books that might be questionable. But I don't see her going insane like this.

35 minutes ago, Saturno said:

I think that even if the endings are the same the way they happen will be much more satisfying in the books. I mean, take any single event that the show adapted... like the Red Wedding, or Blackwater, or Arya's time in Harrenhal and compare with the books. Even the scenes that were fairly true to the books are clearly inferior in detail, emotion, logic and depth. I believe that even at his lowest RR Martin is far above HBO's highest. So if for instance Stannis burns her daughter in the books I'm sure that reading it would be a much more amazing experience than watching it on the series.

I think you're half right, that statement isn't true for ANY single event in the show.  You can't tell me you preferred reading about Ayra with Roose Bolton at Harrenhal over watching Tywin with Arya??  True, in print you can make a scene last as long as you want with as much detail as you want that isn't practical in film. I will admit that season 7 and 8 will probably pale in comparison to the books due to the lightning fast time jumps and forced writing.  But for previous seasons, at least for myself, it was 50/50.

Just now, House Rootbreaker said:

I think you're half right, that statement isn't true for ANY single event in the show.  You can't tell me you preferred reading about Ayra with Roose Bolton at Harrenhal over watching Tywin with Arya??  True, in print you can make a scene last as long as you want with as much detail as you want that isn't practical in film. I will admit that season 7 and 8 will probably pale in comparison to the books due to the lightning fast time jumps and forced writing.  But for previous seasons, at least for myself, it was 50/50.

Of course I did prefer Roose Bolton with Arya over Tywin with Arya. I'm baffled that a book-fan would prefer otherwise!

Yes Tywin was portrayed by an amazing actor... but the show illogical decisions and plot contrivances completely blocked me from completely enjoy his scenes with Arya. And this goes for the whole series. I always considered GOT as a bad show, far inferior to even other TV shows.

13 hours ago, Centurion Piso said:

What we saw is the creation of Misters Benioff and Weiss with input from HBO corporate.  Fear not.  The novels are not likely to take this turn.  

Only because we're never getting ADoS.

But no, Daenerys as a villain has been clear from the first novel. It's even clear in the leaked synopsis to his publisher that she's meant to be a villain. If the show departed from the novels on this front it's because they downplayed her villainous nature making the face-heel-turn harder to swallow. Further, elements cut by the show (fAegon chiefly) likely cost them an opportunity to show her ramping up to becoming what she was meant to become. If we had seen her commit some moderate atrocities while defeating fAegon it would have felt more reasonable when she finally decided to set fire to a million people.

13 hours ago, Centurion Piso said:

Hafta agree with you here: they won't. OTOH, they won't take a different turn, either. (Maybe we'll get Book 6. Maybe. Conclusion of the series? No way in seven hells.)

6 hours ago, martianmister said:

Um...it didn't fall, Aerys let Lannister forces in, believing they came for help.

He let them into kings landing but not the red keep, the mountain and his homies forced their own way in. Also you are stating one of the main reasons it fell and the city was sacked.  The castle itself was not destroyed but kings landing fell and a new ruler was put in place.

This time Drogon and Dany went full beast mode on the city infrastructure and small folk... For no gain or purpose whatsoever other then to cement Mad Dany.

Why didn't she go over and roast Cersei and take her throne instead of roasting the whole city and destroying everything?  Or maybe put Cersei's head on a spike? She totally lost her mind at a pretty crucial moment when she could have gotten away with being a little reckless and cruel to the crazy lady that just executed your homie. But instead she was cruel to a bunch of innocent people. To top it off DD send Jaime back to Cersei's arms and I felt like they almost wanted the viewer to feel bad for them.  It all just kinda felt wrong to me but also you can't make everyone happy. It could have been worse lol

4 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Hafta agree with you here: they won't. OTOH, they won't take a different turn, either. (Maybe we'll get Book 6. Maybe. Conclusion of the series? No way in seven hells.)

I agree. The series will not be finished. I have only watched the first two seasons of AGoT, but stopped because I did not like them. When I heard the show was overtaking the books I thought Martin will not finish the series since the show ending was to mirror Martin’s ending. 

The episode had nice CGI moments at the beginning, but still fell completely flat. It’s like D&D forsake consistent narrative for all this warp speed CGI crap. It felt like I was watching a cheesy disaster monster flick. 

They instantly made Dany into some deranged crazy person just as the Bells were about to go off. That moment felt forced and unearned to the point of comical. The destruction that then ensued was shocking at the beginning but then dragged on endlessly. Maybe it was to drive home the point the unfathomable that Dany was doing, but it become boring. It didn’t help that we didn’t get to see the perspective of Dany as she was wreaking all this havoc on the people of Kings Landing. I guess they really wanted to drive home the point that Dany will need to be removed (killed) by someone in particular in the next episode. 

I hated Jamie’s ending. I get that Cersei was like an addiction for him, but I also thought he changed overtime for the better. Moreover Cersei had threatened his life and even then tried to have him killed. I guess it’s poetic that these two shared the same womb, cake into the world together, and then died together. But it still was a disappointment for me nonetheless.

I guess they had to “castrate” (for lack of better word) her for this episode to make Dany the real monster. Someone as vicious as Cersei would have had some tricks up her sleeve. In the end, she just stood there doing nothing - just like the rest of this very disappointing season. Her death was also very disappointing. They gave her a very tender and heartfelt death when she didn’t deserve any of it.  I wish they had her die by dragon fire or by one of the prophecies. 

11 hours ago, loverofcats said:

The problem is that GRRM promised his fans a bittersweet ending like in LoTR. Most of them are Jon's fans, or Daenerys fans or Tyrion's fans.
The lives of Jon, Dany and Tyrion have been completely a tragic mess from beginning  and now, without hope in the end. Not all of them had expected a Targaryen restauration  nor a perfect life for Tyrion but the story is heading to an atrocious depressing ending for these characters. 
(Of course more elaborate, more logically and very vague foreshadow and the more cynical in the books). 
Who would want to read a story in which all the major characters are dead or turned from light gray into dark gray or even worse? 
No matter the journey, the end will be the same. The results are seen in a dramatic decrease of the rating and unfortunately the end of the series will affect the readers too. GRRM will lose many fans.

I agree... As much as I liked watching/reading Asoiaf, I do think that the ending was overly dark, for nothing interesting.

Such writing not only affect the first lecture, but also kills any re watch potential.

Nobody wanted a pink happy ending with baby shit and unicorns. 

But at some point you can't only depict a story with only misery. 

Archived