Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

This time, I don’t think I have as many ranting points as before. I liked some of the episode, mainly on the imagery side. That being said:

• The ruination of Daenerys Targaryen is now also complete.
  • After the Night King, y’all were mad about Cersei being the final boss. Haha, who knew Dany would be it. Subversion!!! I really don’t know what else to say about this. Thoroughly disappointing.
  • But why be mad about this? Missandei’s last word was “Dracarys”. You gotta respect your friend’s dying wish, right?
  • What’s the point of still seeing Last Hearth in the intro, but not Dragonstone? Ran over budget with all that stuff? Ooo, are we going to be subverted again?
  • Varys did some stuff, he got himself killed. Check! Who’s next?
  • St. Tyrion was in full force this episode, and Jon did some stuff, too.
  • Brave Ser Davos was in the front lines. And he must have borrowed one of those jetpacks that he had time to arrange for the dingy, and still be by Jon’s side.
  • The ironborn must have gotten pissed drunk the night before. None of them could hit the side of a barn. I’m going to assume that in this week’s Inside the Episode, Benioff will say that Euron kinda forgot he had control of the Blackwater Bay, and allowed all the Unsullied with Grey Worm to sail pretty much next to King’s Landing.
  • All those scorpions looked mighty pretty on the city walls, not firing at Jon’s approaching army or at the forces encamped below the walls. I guess those Imperial Lannister weapons technicians really had shite training (unlike the drunkard ironborn) No one thought to add scorpions on the inner walls of the Red Keep?
  • Is the Golden Company a sellsword company, or a national standing army? Whatever, in the end, the Golden Company was bullshit. Subversion!!! If only they had the elephants.
  • Harrenhal’s towers were literally melted by the heat of Balerion’s fire. Drogon’s fire, on the other hand, is almost as hot, but also hits with the force of two 747 engines and just blow a building down.
  • Jaime was mortally wounded by Euron in a pointless fight, and Euron died gloating about it. Not that it mattered, Jaime decided to die with Cersei. Subversion!!!
  • While I liked Cleganebowl, Sandor shoving his sword all the way through unGregor’s armor was yet another example in the long line of armor-is-for-suckers mantra. And mind you, that armor just held without a scratch against blocks of falling stone.
  • If only we had gotten as much screen time of Arya sneaking through the wights to get to the NK, as we got of her trying to escape the city. And now we got to see library Arya again, only upped a notch. Three times she nearly died, but what can you do when subversion and plot armor join forces? What can anyone do in the face of such reckless writing?

Shit, I guess I did have plenty of points. Subversion!!!

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

This time, I don’t think I have as many ranting points as before. I liked some of the episode, mainly on the imagery side. That being said:

• The ruination of Daenerys Targaryen is now also complete.

This pretty much. I mean, the bells were ringing and Danys would have the greatest claim as Mother Theresa on the throne. With the recent civil wars in mind, nobody would support Jon's claim - especially when he is most content with being Dany's servant. She had just also completed her revenge by burning Euron's fleet and forcing upon the Lannister soldiers the greatest of humbleness. She would be the greatest ruler had she followed the repeated advice of nearly every Westerosi that was on her side (to be fair, they were wrong a lot but they were right when it comes to the ideal rules of engagement in Westeros). Yet, she was still so 'impatient' that she decides to make herself a known tyrant.

Terribly disappointed in Cersei’s exit. She was not properly held accountable. I mean, yeah she died, but so did everyone else. She deserved a special kind of horrible torturous death for the ages. The walls and ceiling crumbling down on her while her love held her kind of let her off the hook. Way more pissed about that than Dany going apeshit and killing innocent women and children. 

And to think I decided to start watching this stupid show again to get some closure on ASOAF...What a great idea that turned out to be :rolleyes:

Seriously the bells WTF???? Why does the bells make Dany go crazy?? 

Jon is the embodiment of nipples on a breastplate. 

Shadowfax showing up out of nowhere to pick up Arya the queen of plot armor at the end. Why not? 

Jaime and Cercei...they really played that as some tragic love story huh? Oh well, what is character development?

Whatever the hell Euron is supposed to be about

I'm not sure I like how it was executed but I honestly wasn't surprised re: Dany going mad. I think it's been something we've been building up to slowly and not actually as out of the blue as it appears at first glance.

However Jon was and continues to be a spineless idiot. 

IF that episode were a metaphor for anything it was when Dany said that the people of King’s landing deserve to die for supporting Cersei (showing that Dany DOES NOT understand how monarchies work). Then Dany- true to her bat-shit-crazy word -immolates the city.  Because to her they deserved it!

And in this metaphor, WE’RE the citizens of King’s Landing and the show is LITERALLY burning us alive for supporting such a terrible fucking show. 

This is how we have been rewarded.  With a complete “Heel Turn” by Dany (GOOD GOD!!!!  THAT’S AERYS TARGARYEN’S MUSIC!!!!!).  Everything we saw for the last 7 seasons; everything we read for the previous 20 (YUP!  Over twenty fucking years since the series started) and NONE OF IT MATTERED!!!! 

-Jaime saved King’s Landing from Aerys!  Doesn’t matter; Dany burned it anyway. 

-Jon saved the Wall!  Doesn’t matter; one of Dany’s undead dragons burned it anyway! 

-Tyrion killed Tywin!  Doesn’t matter he would have died in a fire anyway!

-Euron Grayjoy…. No, take that back, that fucker LITERALLY DID NOTHING WORTHWHILE THIS WHOLE SHOW!!!  But at least he’s not that Strickland fucker; what a useless appendage. 

-Tyrion saved King’s Landing from Stannis!  Doesn’t matter; Dany burned it anyway!

-Arya traveled all the way to the Capital to kill Cersei; doesn’t matter- she left because narrative forces pulled on her! 

-The Hound finally fought The Mountain!  Doesn’t matter; they would have died anyway in a massive fire!  Started by Dany!  And her fucking Dragon!

-Varys is a master of whisperers!  Doesn’t matter!  She burned him anyway because he was a moron at the end! 

Nothing mattered.  We were rooting for somebody the show decided to “Go Nuts” for no reason and with no warning! There was virtually no realistic set-up for her turn, for her mental destabilization; NOTHING would clue somebody in that she was going crazy!  All there was was that she was angry at Cersei and sad for Messandi and her dragon.  NOTHING would indicate that she was going to BBQ a city full of innocent people. 

But, no; it had to burn.  See, if the city doesn’t burn than the show-runners have to actually write stuff out!  They have to logically complete story lines, full of action, tension, drama and realistic resolution! 

BUT FUCK THAT !!!!  See, these guys NEVER got the show going after George’s words ran out, and tonight was Exhibit 67,932 of “Why They Are Secretly Bad At This!”  Because they wasted so much time, crammed everything into this end just to watch Dany and Dragon go house on a city.  With no rhyme and no reason.  EXCEPT that having it all burn and everyone die (except Arya- perish the fucking thought) can ONLY be accomplished if Dany just goes dumb.

So now here we all are- going dumb.

What I Liked:

The Last Of the Lannister Boys: Can’t fight it; Tyrion and Jaime are amazing and their final goodbye was astounding and heart felt.  And for a little bit I could pretend that MAYBE something here mattered.  These two guys have been nails since they were first introduced in their first scene.  Amazing characters who were tremendous in almost every episode.

I mean… assuming the show runners were not actively trying to ruin them (ie: that rape scene).  Watching Tyrion scrape through the rubble was haunting.  Watching Jaime risk everything to get to Cersei was a monumental waste of time. 

… yeah… this is going to be much harder than I thought …

Turn Away From It All Like a Blind Man: The how utilized the raising tension of what was happening between the Hound and Arya racing to Cersei; to Jaime racing to Cersei to Dany chewing up the planet; to that amazing scene when Drogon shoots through the battlements and annihilating the Golden Company.  I felt the Pressure of the scenes and the circumstances.  From Jon’s face to the terror of the citizens to the music to Cercei’s face to the destruction and then… silence… it was a great use of sound and sights to signify rising tension…

… and then Dany just went nuts rendering it all meaningless…

The Killing of the Last King: Oh I HATED Euron Grayjoy and glad he died and I’m glad he was wrong about killing Jaime.  He sucked; the Iron Isles sucked; it was all terrible and I loved that Jaime killed him. 

… but then Dany burned them all to death so it didn’t matter! 

CLEAGANE BOWL!!!!!  Great fight.  What I liked most about it was when the Mountain ripped off his helmet and Sandor said “You were ALWAYS like that.”  Fucking great.  A lesser show would have had Sandor say something “Look what you have become,” but this kept Sandor true to it all.  And their final death was semi fitting as they both plunged into Sandor’s greatest fear, fire.

But it ultimately didn’t matter because Dany was burning it all down anyway! 

What I am On the Fence About:

… Until You And I Are The Only People Left In This World:  I’m just baffled that this was how we thought it SHOULD end.  That Jaime would leave Brienne (because… sure), travel South, get captured, freed, kill Euron (amazing), then end up with Cersei just long enough to … die anyway… and that was meaningful… how?  It would be like having this epic battle where the bad guys were winning only to have some rando good-guy show up and save the day athe last second by … oh, fuck, that’s right, they already did that bullshit…

I think MAYBE at one time Jaime-Cersei mattered, but the show moved WAY past that.  I thought that Jaime grew as a character, but then, stupidly, he is back in KL for no discernable reason and with a meaningless death all the same.  But he did go out how he said- that the world would burn and for them, Cersei and Jaime were the only two people left.

… not that it mattered because everyone else died.  Because of Dany.

The Last Time a Spider Died That Lamely was Michael Imperioli in Goodfellas: What. The. Actual. Fuck.  Why would Varys be so stupid, so careless and so cavalier with the truth?  Why would he be so amazingly stupid?!  Now, yes, let’s all remember that Varys’ fears were justified – Dany DID turn out to be nuts, BUT … that was NOT why Varys changed his mind; he changed it due to Jon being Aegon VI.  Why would Varys be so sloppy, so stupid, so … lame? 

Because, again, the show needs him to.  Remember, Varys was one of the smartest people in the show for like 6 seasons.  Now?  Just another dofus who acted so ineptly as to make his murder a foregone conclusion.

Again, imagine of this show had been this lame in the first season?  Would you ever have watched it?

A meaningless, empty end. 

… But, didn’t matter because Dany proved to be a maniac anyway and burned everything so none of it mattered. 

The Trials of Arya Plot Armor, the Last Jedi: We were all stunned Arya only killed common sense in this episode.  Watching Arya run around through wanton destruction was … kind of cool.  And then she almost died. Also, the shot-for-shot comparison with what was happening to Sandor was kind of amazing.  And then she almost died.  Then she got up and ran through more streets to see the carnage.  And then she almost died.  Then she was KO’d covered in dust.  And then she almost died.  And then she ran into the room to save those people.  And then she almost died…

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  

---Snh!  What happened?  Oh, I must have gotten so fucking board I collapsed in a heap of shame and sadness.  And then a horse showed up to take Princess Plot Armor to… wherever she was going to go anyway. 

While I was pleased with what Arya saw for us- the chronical of utter, wanton destruction – it was so cheap because I WATCH TV!  I know- 100%, certain – that Arya was not going to die.  She is a Jedi and wears 16-inch Plot-Plate.  What a completely dead-inside way to watch those last few scenes.

But at least a random horse was there … God that was fucking depressing.  As if the showrunners were like, “Well, how can she leave?  We’ll just have this horse be there for her to get away with.”  BRILLIANT! 

… And then Dany shat fire and it all, literally, stopped mattering.

What I Hated:

Oh… Dany… Boy… Oh… : I always said that the way the show misunderstood Stannis and Renly were unforgivable.  However, tonight the showrunners did something that is virtually unheard of in TV history – they turned Dany into a plot device. 

Dany had NEVER displayed insanity before this (shitty) season.  Never.  She had been cruel; she had been angry; rash and once or twice unwise, but she was fucking King Salomon compared to Robert, Renly, Balon, Robb, Joff, Tommon and Aerys, 

But the show had no outs.  They had not written the show well in 3 seasons; they ended one war prematurely and had wasted way too much time.  They had to bring this all out.  And the only way to do that was by making Dany go CRAZY!  Instead of completing difficult storylines in interesting ways CXCRZY DANY shows up and burns everything down and then makes you know she has to go!  That way JON CAN BE KING!!!!!!!  See, if Dany is not nuts, then Jon won’t want to be Kinga WEALLWANTJONTOBEKINGBECAUSETHESHOWTOLDUS!!  Jon is wicked smaht (even though telling people his secret was stooped) He’s a great battle commander (even if he wins in spite of his mistakes); he’s got great pedigree (he’s a Targaryen, after all!). 

But he;s a RELUCTANT HERO!  The best kind!  So we have to do this bullshit.  Fuck it all. 

ANYWAY… Dany is now nuts.  Forget that she was never nuts before; forget that she was 100% correct about Cersei; 100% correct about how she should hit the city; forget that she was 100% competent in getting the Dothrakai on her side; 100% correct on freeing the slave cities.  NO! 

Now, she’s CRAZY DANY AND HER PRICES ARE IN-SANE!!!!!!!

Because if she stayed sane the show would have to be interesting.  And we don’t want that.  We want Fire.  And ‘SPOLSIONS!  And dumb fights.  And stupid, avoidable conflicts. 

And as those people burned, I felt as if it were the showrunners – who clearly have lost all love for this show now and just want it to end – telling us “It was all meaningless!

Imagine Jorah Mormont who loved Dany; Barristan Selmy who joined her; Varys and that fat guy in Pentose (seriously does not matter); all the people who rode with her, studied her, fought by her, etc etc etc etc … they were all supporting a secret maniac.  Because BEFORE TONIGHT SHE LITERALLY DID NOTHING THAT WAS ACTUALLY CRAZY!  Not going in for the eggs; not killing Pryt Pree; not her handing of the Dothrakai – EVERYTHING SHE DID WAS FINE!  So their work was just a waste too!  It could have been meaningful…

But, no; the show needed her to be crazy so they could end the madness…

How’s that for shitty irony? 

I honestly think that this is poignant; that this is “bittersweet;’ but no.  It’s a waste.  A gigantic steaming pile of burning dung, wafting into our nasal passages and into our lungs.  We are all the worst for watching it.  But worse, the showrunners are telling us that NOT ONLY WAS TONIGHT A WASTE – but all the nights leading to it were an utter waste.  Because in the end…. None of it mattered; she was a lunatic. 

The show, literally, told us that we wasted our time.

Maybe there is a message here; maybe the point was that all powerful people will turn their dragons on is.  OR maybe that whatever was prevented in the past will come back even worse later.  Or maybe that the sins of one generation will be paid triple by the next.

Or maybe when one guy waits too long to finish his books, two fucking morons will rise up and ruin what he started. 

Because in the end, it doesn’t even matter…

Is it me or when Frankengregor lost the mask for a moment he look like purple Varys?

For one crazy moment I even thought hey how did Qyburn got a hold of Varys' body? :lol:

Is lucky the Dothraki in the series do not seem to wear bells in their heads or they may accidentally turn Dany's crazy mode on. 

Just now, -Winterfellian- said:

Is it me or when Frankengregor lost the mask for a moment he look like purple Varys?

For one crazy moment I even thought hey how did Qyburn got a hold of Varys' body? :lol:

Is lucky the Dothraki in the series do not seem to wear bells in their heads or they may accidentally turn Dany's crazy mode on. 

It reminded me of when Darth Vader took off his mask during Return of the Jedi

2 minutes ago, BradDoty08 said:

Yikes, that was really bad. Now I know what the writers meant when they said the ending is going to be bittersweet. Thankful it's finally over after how bad it's gotten. 

This isn't bittersweet.

This has the makings of a tragedy.

I would be okay if they were going for a King Lear or a Hamlet vibe. But no, this is poorly conceived and haphazardly written. The special effects are nice but LOL at the fact that it took them two years to plot this out. I feel so cheated.

Archived