Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

2 minutes ago, darmody said:

I wanted either Tyrion or Varys to bring up the fact that Varys testified at Tyrion's treason trial knowing full well Tywin was trying to have him killed. So, you know. What goes around...

I forgot about that.

It was all for the good of the realm.

9 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

I was watching  alive stream by a youtuber called Nerdrotic, and he thinks the reason the show keeps getting worse as the story progresses is that D&D never liked the supernatural stuff, and as they become more and more prominent, the show kept getting worse.

This is a common idea among the fandom. The show has pretty much omitted all supernatural/magic anything since season 1. Well, except for the birth of dragons which would be hard to omit in any case. 

(Hit submit too early)

This culmination of problems because of lack of supernatural elements has lead to a drop in character development through the seasons that is now glaringly apparent. 

Just now, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

I was watching  alive stream by a youtuber called Nerdrotic, and he thinks the reason the show keeps getting worse as the story progresses is that D&D never liked the supernatural stuff, and as they become more and more prominent, the show kept getting worse.

Then they are even bigger idiots than we think that they are.

Apparently, it is a wonder they even made it out of elementary school with reading comprehension like that. It is clear from the prologue of A Game of Thrones that this story was going to have a big magical, prophetic-based conclusion. Why sign up for it if you're not okay with that.

Bran and Daenerys chapters have consistently been the most magical of them all...and they have only gotten more magical. Arya's story becomes entrenched in magic in the third book and she becomes a skilled practitioner of two different types of magic by the end of the fifth book. Jon literally acknowledges his magical telepathic powers in the second book and ominously declines doing anything about them in the fifth book because he doesn't need it. Stannis is basically GRRM's take on Macbeth and what's Macbeth without magic. Catelyn Stark, one of the most important political POVs we have ever had, gets a front-row seat to what happens when dark magic and politics mix. Sam is going to be knee-deep in an anti-magic conspiracy.

The very core of the story (the seasons) is purely magical.

Rave: 

I'm so glad I taped it to watch. I fast forwarded like crazy. I did like the Jaime/Tyrion goodbye. 

Rant:

I'm pretty bummed at how completely unaffected I was by all these characters' deaths. I absolutely could not give a shit what happens next week. Time to get back to reading other book series, the show did its part for 3.5ish seasons.

So Euron pops out of the sea right when and where Jamie is going into the castle. OK, maybe he’s trying to get in the same place as Jamie, but the timing is a tremendous coincidence. He wants to fight Jamie to the death because—he’s Euron? And he’s totally excited to kill Jamie because—he’s Euron?

There’s no point I can see other than having Jamie get into a desperate fight and disposing of Euron. Now, if Euron had been mad about the baby, maybe he would have had some motivation. And maybe he could have tracked Jamie down instead of randomly washing in from the sea like a fortuitous message in a bottle—but as we know he wasn’t really listening about the baby.

I'm massively disappointed, most character deaths were a letdown, they just "happened".

The funny thing is, people were laughing at me when I interpreted Emilia Clarke's words of "wandering aimlessly through London" as NOT being impressed by the script, the actress was devastated. I always said the script destroyed her character and Emilia couldn't believe what was done to her arc. And I was right... And she also said "Best season EVAAAH", now we know.

Next week it's over and then we'll pretend season 8 is not part of canon. What a shambles, two years for this?!!!

Dany could have burned the city while executing a military strategy. She could have even been mistaken in some way, or tricked, and then burned a bunch of non combatants. Jon could even have misperceived her as doing that, when in fact she was tricked or forced into doing something horrible.  Instead, we have her quire deliberately burning peasants. I think her waging a brutal war would have been consistent. Her mistakenly killing a bunch of people would have been consistent. That isn’t what she did.

And Grey Worm—the one thing we know about unsullied is that they are completely disciplined. The best thing about unsullied is they will never rape a city. You can cut their nipples off and they won’t become undisciplined. Furthermore, he has never been anything other than a decent person. But kill his girlfriend and he turns into an animal.

And Varys kinda forgot how to be a master of whispers. He talks openly with Tyrion about treason. Then he has one of his super secret spies come to his chambers to talk to him. He tells her to get back to the kitchens before someone notice her gone—any risk they will notice she’s hanging out with Varys in his chambers? Finally, he walks right up to Jon to talk treason with him on the beach, with no reason whatsoever to believe it would be safe to do so. 

Legitimately angry right now. This show completely ruined Jaime. Just unbelievable. I’ll get into that more later, though, here is what I have to rant about off the top of my head. I’m sure I missed and/or forgot stuff, though. 

•Not sure about Tyrion telling Dany about Varys. I could go either way though, as Tyrion obviously doesn’t want her assassinated. On the other hand he seemed to have so many reservations about Dany just last episode. Granted that doesn’t mean he wanted her dead.  This isn’t a huge complaint, I’m not even sure how to feel about it. 

•Like others have mentioned, Dragonstone is just unmanned? Maybe Cersei didn’t know but if so she has shitty spy networks. Again, it was laughable that Cersei would let them live after they stupidly came up within firing range last episode. 

•The Iron Fleet sure seems useless this episode after being unstoppable in the last. Plot convenience eh? Why didn’t Dany just burn them then if it was this easy? Also they did a shit job defending King’s Landing from their incoming opponents. 

•NOW Arya thinks it’s a good idea to tell everyone she’s off to kill Cersei? Of course she didn’t tell them she’s a secret ninja assassin spy shapeshifter. Nonetheless a ton of blood is shed anyways and they don’t wait for Arya to assassinate the Queen. Of course, they don’t know her powers so maybe they just think she’s completely insane. 

•Tyrion caring about Jaime is well established but now he wants him to live happily ever after with Cersei? I get that he was trying to prevent bloodshed but you’d think he’d ask Arya instead. Again, maybe he’s not aware of her powers. How did Davos, AKA the “Michael Jordan of smugglers”, get Jaime out? We never see. 

•Speaking of Jaime, how the hell did he catch up to everyone? Did the power of incest give him super speed?

•Rhaegal was super vulnerable in the last episode but because the plot calls for dragons to suddenly be unstoppable again, Drogon is basically a god in this episode. Urine and his goons were like Steph Curry with the catapults in the last episode but now suddenly they couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with a giant Starbucks cup. 

• Arya somehow decides she doesn’t need to be incognito going into King’s landing. Granted, it’s feasible that no one she encountered would recognize her, but why risk it?

•Dany goes full Mad Queen. I get that she has snapped but why then when she had already won? Jon is going to kill her next episode...I guess he will discover lightbringer somehow for the prophecy? But then again the long night already ended didn’t it? Whatever. I was expecting Dany to go crazy so I don’t think it’s necessarily improbable but it should have been built up to more. 

•While I thought the scene in which the Hound told Arya that she didn’t want to be like him and that she should save herself was powerful, why the hell didn’t he do that earlier? Also, Arya is easily convinced after being so sure she was going off to die (?) last episode. 

•Jaime dies with Cersei because she is apparently his true love and he’s learned absolutely nothing, he doesn’t care how evil she is and all his character development was completely pointless. This is simply unforgivable. Fuck D+D, they missed the whole point of Jaime’s redemption arc! What the hell????  What the absolute fuck? So much for the valonquar (spelling?) prophecy too, eh? This might be the single worst mistake in the show’s history.  Absolutely disgusting.  

I hate that Dany is going down like this. I thought that George wouldnt be that predictable. What a waste of a good female character.

I never liked Jon as a character but Kit's performance has made me dislike him even more. I think he is seriously the worst actor on the show. 

1 hour ago, Greenmonsterff said:

Terribly disappointed in Cersei’s exit. She was not properly held accountable. I mean, yeah she died, but so did everyone else. She deserved a special kind of horrible torturous death for the ages. The walls and ceiling crumbling down on her while her love held her kind of let her off the hook. Way more pissed about that than Dany going apeshit and killing innocent women and children. 

Agree, that's disappointing, as was Euron landing the fatal blow on Jamie - Jamie deserves a better send-off.

2 minutes ago, olenna123 said:

I hate that Dany is going down like this. I thought that George wouldnt be that predictable. What a waste of a good female character.

I never liked Jon as a character but Kit's performance has made me dislike him even more. I think he is seriously the worst actor on the show. 

Hell no. He’s way better than EC. 

I never thought I would dislike an episode where Cersei, Jaime, and a ton of Lannister soldiers died, but this episode was just bad.  I have never even been the biggest fan of Dany's but they did her completely dirty.

The bells...just, the bells. The thing with the bells is...where did th is bell thing come from? 

I remember Davos' son (yes, Davos had a family and has a family if they haven't died waiting for him) saying bells meant surrender. Aside from that, the show has never emphasized bells in this manner. Until Tyrion mentioned them. And mentioned them again. And suddenly it was all about bells. Waiting for bells. Listening to bells. 

When did this become Game of Bells?

Archived