Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

7 hours ago, Trigger Warning said:

Have we though? Most of the killing she's done is pretty generic for someone in her position, lighting up the entirety of King's Landing is like going from 1 to 100 in the blink of an eye amean I could buy her destroying the Red Keep and everyone inside to get Cersei but burning the rest of the city is entirely out of character for her unless she has literally just snapped and rejected everything that made her character what she was, in which case nah they haven't built that up. 

I think we have, but that's just my interpretation. She was always someone who felt entitled to the Iron Throne since the beginning and a bit delusional about it, as well. We see tendencies of her brutal actions when she locks those two people in a vault to die, crucifies the people of Meereen (some of whom didn't even take part in the crucifying of slave children), burns Meereenese nobles, burns the Khals, etc. Even in Meereen she grew to be hated by many of the people she freed. Mhysa is a master.

Her way of dealing with things has always been violence. Fire and Blood. You could say these people deserve it for one betrayal or another. Maybe they do. But Dany has a tendency to go over the top when it comes to retribution versus good, clean deaths.

Add this with her entitlement to the throne and the fact she's used to being adored by the people she's freed. But Westeros isn't like that.

I think having all her expectations subverted (People still have secret toasts and sew dragon banners, etc.) plus her tendency for over the top retribution, plus the losses she's recently established, added together make sense in why she did what she did.

I think when it comes to burning King's Landing, also, it wasn't like she had a mental break re: the bells or anything. I think she was at a point where she said 'fuck it' and acted out in pain and anger. Which is usually when she's at her most dangerous. Especially with what amounts to a rideable WMD. 

So all this made sense to me. But that's strictly how I interpret it. You can definitely see it different. I'm not like, the interpretation god or anything. It's subjective.

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

We’re not the only ones ranting...

Had this episode taken place just before the finale of Season 4 or 5, it might be forgivable, but with just over an hour left in the series, it's far too late to make a mistake of this magnitude. There's no time to switch gears, because Mad Queen Dany (and, apparently Arya's inexplicable survival and possible revenge) is what "Thrones" will always have been about. This disappointment is what we've all been waiting for. 

The show apologists keep gaslighting us as if we are crazy and delusional fanboys for not seeing "the writing on the wall."

No, it's not just us. Nor is it just about Daenerys.

Everyone is upset about this for a whole slew of reasons.

D&D were given a gem and they turned it into terribly written and plotted, woefully mismanaged, shamefully imagined cautionary tale of a trainwreck. It's clear that they didn't even read the fourth and fifth books in its entirety. I feel like an idiot for trusting them with this source material and defending their endless stream of boneheaded decisions. I should have known from the moment they said "we decided to adapt this story because we thought the Red Wedding was a cool moment to show on TV"

There is no excuse for this mess.

They are going to have a hard time finding work after this.

I hope GRRM has learned his lesson and puts it into high gear.

8 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Didn't you know? The reason David Benioff has such contempt for themes and their presence in eighth grade book reports is because he never made it to the eighth grade!

LOL WHAT?!

Atlas Shrugged has themes. Yet, no one will say that that's an eighth grade book.

I was gonna make a long rant about this episode, but ultimately concluded that it would be pointless, which is a word that pretty sums up the entire story at this point. I can't believe that we had to wait an extra year for what we've just been given.

I genuinely wish that I hadn't bothered with S8. In fact, in my personal head canon, S8 doesn't exist. 

"Bittersweet ending" was a cruel lie all along. 

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

The show apologists keep gaslighting us as if we are crazy and delusional fanboys for not seeing "the writing on the wall."

No, it's not just us. Nor is it just about Daenerys.

Everyone is upset about this for a whole slew of reasons.

D&D were given a gem and they turned it into terribly written and plotted, woefully mismanaged, shamefully imagined cautionary tale of a trainwreck. It's clear that they didn't even read the fourth and fifth books in its entirety. I feel like an idiot for trusting them with this source material and defending their endless stream of boneheaded decisions. I should have known from the moment they said "we decided to adapt this story because we thought the Red Wedding was a cool moment to show on TV"

There is no excuse for this mess.

They are going to have a hard time finding work after this.

I hope GRRM has learned his lesson and puts it into high gear.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

It's difficult for me to put into words how I feel about what happened with Daenerys's character last night purely because I always had a sense that it would happen. Genuinely, I always believed that she was probably going to become an anti-villain whose morals would contrast with those of her "counterpart" Jon Snow. In the books, I have always been fairly certain that her battle with f!Aegon and Arianne would result in her, at the very least, burning down the Red Keep. Her burning down King's Landing and turning it into a city of Ash was always something I envisioned in my minds eye.

Equally, I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it was beyond the realms of possibility that Daenerys wouldn't have burned down the Red Keep in the show. She has solved a lot of problems in the past by burning her way through her enemies. "My enemies are in the Red Keep," and it made sense to me for her to finish Cersei in a dirty yet clean manner by snuffing her out with fire and blood.

What broke my suspension of disbelief was what Dany's trigger was. It was too fast and too sudden. And that's if she'd just burned the Red Keep -- the fact she slaughtered innocents throughout all of King's Landing when she's always been about defending the innocent felt like such a heel turn it gave me whiplash.

1 hour ago, DraculaAD1972 said:

Episode 5 was powerful, almost too powerful.  It was the best episode of the series and an amazing, dreadful, unforgettable experience.  

fixed

10 hours ago, AlaerysTargaryen said:

Never never all thosd years ago since I read Mad Queen Dany theory, I believe this could be true. Cersei was is a mad Qjeen in the books, make Dany fall into family heritage is repetetive. 

Also , could somekne point out the sweet? Im just bitter

Bitter is the entirity of season 8. The sweetness comes after this trash of a season ends and time heals our wounds.

10 hours ago, tallTale said:

This is some truly unfulfilling, nihilistic story telling.

I may have to go back to lord of the rings to gain some wholesome cleansing of this. 

I did just that so I could watch a proper King in Aragorn instead of this whipped boy called Jon. And I'm not even talking about the difference in acting, my god.

22 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

LOL WHAT?!

Atlas Shrugged has themes. Yet, no one will say that that's an eighth grade book.

David Benioff actually said 'Themes are for eighth grade book reports' in response to criticism. I wish I was making this shit up. Look it up, I swear I'm not bullshitting.

I'm just wondering at what point did Tyrion really turn into St. Tyrion? What happened to the Tyrion who, with a venomous voice, declared to the crowd at his trial that he should have let Stannis kill them all. Tyrion knows what a bunch of fickle douchebags the people of KL are; one moment they cheer you, the next they gleefully turn up for your execution. So what drove Tyrion to expend so much energy into having Dany spare the people and find a quick and as bloodless as possible ending?

3 hours ago, Greenmonsterff said:

Is there ANYTHING that could happen in the finale that would make all these wasted characters and storylines make sense? Like some huge plot twist that makes us all regret the terrible criticism of this final season? Something that explains all these out of character behaviors and justifies the way the story has been told this last season? 

Very hard really. I think the best we can hope for is that Jon becomes a Wildling and re-joins Ghost and Tormund, Dany melts down the IT and flies off on Drogon to somewhere in the Dothraki sea, an Essosi equivalent of Nettles on Sheapstealer, the Others take the 7K. Oh wait the Others cracked into little pieces of ice. Maybe Tyrion and Sandra can have it then.

I really doubt anything is going to be explained. And I don't think Doofus and Dingbat are capable of any sensible explaining anyway. The best we can do is wait for the books.

2 minutes ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

DAENERYS: My father was an evil man. On behalf of House Targaryen I ask your forgiveness for the crimes he committed against your family. And I ask you not to judge a daughter by the sins of her father. 

Barely 10 episodes later....

DAENERYS:  Burn them all.

Daddy would be so proud :lmao:

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And what was the point of that moustache-twirling dumb as fuck pirate anyway?

To kill a dragon and share the throne w/Cersei.  It's unfortunate they made it so easy to kill Rhaegal, RIP, because the juxtaposition with Drogon laying waste to the navy and the army and then the entire city, shows up the 'ambush' for being terrible.

But, as always, I go against the grain, I thought this may have been the best episode of the season, despite a few stupid elements as always, it was beautifully directed and shot, a shame we never saw what he did with the Long Night since we couldn't see it, might have been good, LOL.  

This episode as #9, after a season's worth of Dany becoming unhinged and angry would have been a triumph of subversion of expectations, but as it is, it was a poorly executed huge plot twist that wasn't earned with the 15 minutes of set up we saw in the previous episodes.  But, as a stand alone piece of filmmaking, I can't fault.

I hate that Cersei got a clean, nearly triumphant death and that Cleganebowl was as dumb as I thought it would be, but all in all, the episode itself was well paced and had some good dramatic moments.  But then, I also was never on the Dany fan bandwagon, so I'm not upset that she went bad, only that it was poorly executed.

Archived