Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

Direction, acting and visuals were good.

The scene between Tyrion and Jaime was good, except some stupid line of dialog that contradicts all of Jaime’s arc as a character. “To be honest, I never really cared much for them”.  Really? When in the core of Jaime’s arc there’s the fact that he couldn’t “stand by while thousands of men, women and children were burnt alive”, and was despised as an Oathbreaker and Kingslayer the rest of his life for that?

Everything else was a total crap. To the character assassination of Jon and Bran of past episodes (and seasons!), we can add Jaime and Dany.

Arya went to King's Landing for nothing at all, just to serve as a POV inside King's Landing to film the episode. It was a disservice to her character, they should have used a random citizen, or just one that was there anyway, like Davos or Jon. And how many buildings have to fall on her to kill her? It was ridiculous and annoying.

As ridiculous and annoying as dragons becoming big fat ducks that anybody can take down, or incredible powerful and dangerous weapons against whom any defense is useless, depending the will of the writers. It's like the world they built has no rules at all; nothing is stablished.

And the resolution of the storylines of Jaime and Dany, what to say?

Was this outcome possible, according to the 10 years of story that they have been telling us?

well, yes it was possible for Dany to reach a point where she'd go all "fire and blood", it was possible for Jaime to backpedal on  his path of redemtion. But the opposite was also equally possible, the foundation was there. They could have gone all the other way, and it would have been consistent with the build up.

Because Dany has been shown being ruthless and with violent tendencies, but always with people that, more or less, "had it coming", so to speak. And Jaime always wanted to be a good man.  

In short, they made you engage with some characters, and turned all likeable ones into disgusting people, while the disgusting ones ended up the same.  Jorah died for a sociopath, Theon died pointlessly.

And the worse thing is that this abominable,  disappointing, disgusting, revolting, atrocious, insatisfying end, was the writer's choice. And  that I truly feel is a gigantic "f**k you" to the audience. Given that D&D are only two hacks, I’ll have to believe that this is the story GRRM has been telling all along. Sure, he would  make the whole thing better constructed and intertwined, but who cares? Don’t count with me, not interested in the books, not interested in the spin offs. Fuck Westeros , the whole World of Ice and Fire, and the people who created it.

The whole story is a gigantic nihilistic hollow crap.  

5 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

<screen starts out black and slowly lights up as the camera pans above a bed to see two people sleeping with candles on their bed tables>

<Ned Stark sits straight up in bed and shakes Catelyn>

"Cat!  I just had the worst dream!  There is something I have to tell you...."

<screen goes black>

I thought you were going to say it then fades into that damned Skyrim opening scene.

11 minutes ago, LucyMormont said:

<snip> Given that D&D are only two hacks, I’ll have to believe that this is the story GRRM has been telling all along. Sure, he would  make the whole thing better constructed and intertwined, but who cares? Don’t count with me, not interested in the books, not interested in the spin offs. Fuck Westeros , the whole World of Ice and Fire, and the people who created it.<snip>

Don't blame GRRM, the whole show went off the rails immediately once they got past the book material.

Martin writes with intelligence, heart and craft. I dare say he was going somewhere with this material, and I very, very, very much continue to hope to read it one day.

24 minutes ago, Varys_was_right said:

Well, look how easily she destroyed the Lannister army before with one dragon. One of these things is like having a 1,000 bomber fleet at your command. And I think it's believable that she took out the fleet because she was able to attack them at a moment of her choosing and was using evasive tactics. Once she was able to take out that initial line of ships, the rest of the guys were probably in a panic, which would affect their accuracy. 

Maybe it was more the way it was portrayed in this episode that made it seem too easy. I mean she did defeat the Lannister army handily before, but she did it with an army of Unsullied and thousands more Dothraki on the ground. In last night's episode it seemed like she could take out anyone and anything with Drogon and nothing else. Her army did engage (and destroy) the Golden Company with ease, and they were fighting the Lannister army in the streets, but none of that seemed to be of much consequence with Dany just flying back and forth laying waste to everything below. 

2 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

As Emilia put it: "....ehh.... BeSt SeAsOn EvAh... :unsure:"

Thank you for sharing! Even though I am a bit more with Kit here, assuming that the season so far is any indication:

Q: Describe the season finale in one word.

A: (Sighs) Disappointing. Epic.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, hilarious! It’s because they backtracked on his character development to the point that he became series 1 Jaime. Literally! :lol:

Well, well, well. This post is going to be longer than the battles defeating the two main villains combined. Because MAY’S FOOL, there’s a third main villain. There was that first one, that was main villain for 7 seasons. Then the second one, that was main villain for 1.5 seasons. And now we’re rolling into the series finale to defeat the third, the main main, the ultimate, the superultra, the übervillain that’s been main villain for a full 30 minutes. What a subversion, eh? *wink-wink* 

Oh my fucking goodness. I don’t even know where to start. I was literally laughing aloud for a full 50 minutes. Then things got repetitive and I was very bored. This had happened during the battle of Winterfell too. It’s not because I’m a psychopath. I cry over the Wizard of Oz. But what the fuck was this? :lmao: 

Alright. I have composed myself. Let’s see how our characters are doing. 

So this episode killed more characters than the zombie apocalypse. The massacre count: 

Arya - Surprisingly enough there was still more damage to be done to this character’s integrity. I know, I wouldn’t have thought so either. But they did it. Arya Stark gave up her revenge for her beloved father because her grumpy old revenge obsessed traveling companion told her to go home because she might die. If only he knew that Arya is actually physically indestructible and she defeated death itself literally two episodes ago. 

GreyWorm - Isn’t Grey Worm an Unsullied? A military commander of an army of technically machine soldiers? A battle seasoned soldier who has known death since childhood? Didn’t his training involve raising a puppy and murdering it on orders to be taught discipline? Nope, never mind, His Sundae died, so 20 years of military discipline is right out of the window. 

Daenerys - This lady: completely rational and human for 8.5 seasons and 30 minutes. Also this lady: fuck that shit, we need visuals. 

The “northmen” - These guys: *survive zombie apocalypse, are tired and spent, hate foreigners, but follow their king because they are loyal* Also these guys: *throw themselves into a massacre of unarmed men after a foreigner they loathe against the explicit order of the king they elected* 

The Dothraki - These guys: *were annihilated two episodes ago* also these guys: *risen from death?* 

Jaime - This guy: I broke my vows and killed the king I swore to protect to save the million citizens of King’s Landing. Also this guy: I never cared about these people at all.  But if 20 years of military discipline goes down the toilet in half an episode, then I don’t see why 7 years of on again off again character development can’t. 

Characters we are finally blessed to be rid of (in consecutive order according to how much happiness their being gone evoked in me): Euron, Cersei, Varys, Qyburn, Ungregor, Jaime, Hound, weird new guy with thirty men, 4 minutes of screen time, two lines, one name I can’t rememeber and zero elephants. 
What do we say to the god of removing characters?

2 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Jaime - This guy: I broke my vows and killed the king I swore to protect to save the million citizens of King’s Landing. Also this guy: I never cared about these people at all.  But if 20 years of military discipline goes down the toilet in half an episode, then I don’t see why 7 years of on again off again character development can’t. 

Characters we are finally blessed to be rid of (in consecutive order according to how much happiness their being gone evoked in me): Euron, Cersei, Varys, Qyburn, Ungregor, Jaime, Hound, weird new guy with thirty men, 4 minutes of screen time, two lines, one name I can’t rememeber and zero elephants. 
What do we say to the god of removing characters?

Jaime, oh Jaime!:lmao::crying::bang::smileysex:

When I was watching Cleganebowl I thought they were fake scenes of a B movie

1 hour ago, Ser Quork said:

Drogon is suddenly OP again.

Can someone tell me how this dragon went from barely being able to spot ships from a distance, to taking out an entire fleet of arrow thingys by himself? Are dragons OP or not? At least this followed what earlier seasons had been telling us all along: that dragons are the nuclear bombs of this world.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D Hilarious. 

Wow, the critics really hate Dany going mad. 

But if you write this "We called her “Dany” and watched her talent for barbecuing slavers and enemies become a thing of satisfaction" I think yourself are part of the problem not realizing she already did horrible things. 

Nevertheless D&D made Dany's arc awful by keep rationalizing her actions. 

7 hours ago, Greenmonsterff said:

Is there ANYTHING that could happen in the finale that would make all these wasted characters and storylines make sense? Like some huge plot twist that makes us all regret the terrible criticism of this final season? Something that explains all these out of character behaviors and justifies the way the story has been told this last season? 

Sam is writing the story, but it becomes clear as he finishes it up that he's actually become senile in the writing.  The destruction of the characters was because he was slowly losing his grip on reality, and that didn't happen until we got the Red Wedding.  Beyond that, it's sort of what happened, when viewed through the lens of dementia, and tempered with healthy doses of insanity.

Mostly I'm glad that there's only 1 episode left so this shit-fest can finally end.

On the other hand a part of me is sad, because the trailer for the next episode where the camera pans behind Daenerys basically standing and overseeing her Unsullied gave me a massive Hitler-at-a-SS-meeting-in-the-30's-vibe, and I realized that I would actually really enjoy 2-3 episodes of seeing this Chaotic Evil version of Daenerys in action, rooting and killing out perceived traitors (real and imaginary) and people she considers a threat to her new rule, while seeing the few "good" characters left in the show try to come up with a plan to get rid of her, her dragon and her (still very loyal and noticeable) army of Unsullied and Dothraki.

I mean her entire character- and story-arc is already assassinated and thrown out the window right, so why not. 
Sadly there's only one episode left, so Daenerys will ultimately only be remembered as the protagonist who became the main villain with 3% of the total story left, before (I assume) getting killed of in a tragic manner, because the script powers that be caused her to loose everything that mattered to her (friends, protectors, advisers, family, love, loyalty, children and even destiny) in the last half of the last season...

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Jaime - This guy: I broke my vows and killed the king I swore to protect to save the million citizens of King’s Landing. Also this guy: I never cared about these people at all.

I always thought Dany would turn mad the set up was just atrocious. Jaime's character on the other hand was murdered before he died. When he said this line to Tyrion I was flabbergasted by how out of character that line was. He grew up looking up to and reveling in the Knights of old like Selmy and Blackfish always wanting to be like them. He always wanted to be the honorable knight and do what was right. It was always there who he actually was, but Cersei and the world turned him into something else. Killing Aerys WAS to save the people there when Cersei wasn't there at all. So what they're trying to say he killed Aerys to save Cersei from being killed by him later? What? That line alone lost me before we even got the Sack of King's Landing 2.0 after that moment I realize that this show was doomed and that the next hour was gonna be a horrible and inconsistent mess.

Fuck these writers....

Appalling. Dany can't snap just like that. Because the people didnt  worship her? The city had only just surrendered. Wouldn't it take time for the small folk to get to her? None of that made sense.

I wonder if she's basically gonna be Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen. The one who was in charge during the first riot of kings landing and was truly hated. I'd hate for Drogon to be killed by the mob though.

Am I the only one that was sooooo bored watching this episode? Isn't this the climax of the show? This proves the whole fight for the throne was not supposed to be the focus of the story. So much stupid nonsense but let's start with:

-          Dany's decision to burn them all. This is so poorly written and so sudden. Why can't we have scenes between her and Jon, Tyrion or whoever, where she tells them how she feels. Maybe have her tell them that she doesn't care for the people of King's Landing. That these people have stayed in the city minding their business while Cersei blew up the High Septon and crowned herself Queen. The people did nothing, no rebellion, no leaving King's Landing, nada. I don't know, I just came up with this but it would be something… Add that the fact that Jorah died and Missandei was killed by Cersei (FOR NO REASON), then maybe we would have some decent motivation for Dany's actions. Everything was rushed by D&D so we can have SHOCK, TWIST.

-          So the scorpions are useless now… ok and now the dragon can destroy stone walls and everything…Oh and the gate to the city…. Battle won in 30 minutes…. So can anyone explain me why didn't Dany attack the moment she arrived in Westeros? Like the dragons just have to clear the men on the walls, open the gate, get your army inside, and kill all the soldier’s and the whole throne plot would have ended before the NK.  Am I missing something? I genuinely forgot about most stuff from the last 2 seasons.

-           Euron is such a cartoon villain, it’s so bad. His dialogue is atrocious! How did this guy survive until this point and other characters got killed off???

-          Jaime…. Oh Jaime…. He is DISGUSTING. Slept with Brienne and left her for this??? This??? 8 seasons and he returns where he started!! His character is nothing! To add that, D&D pull up another terrible fight sequence where he gets stabbed TWICE and somehow gets to Cersei.

-          Cersei… That’s it? That’s her end? Wow how unsatisfying.

-          Why have the cleganes fight on the stairwell?? It was such a stupid place to fight. Overall did not like the fight. At least Qyburn’s death was a good laugh.

-          So Arya goes all the way to King's Landing to do nothing???? Because Sandor says some BS, she gives up??? And then we have so much of her just running around while everyone around her dies. Like what was the point of these scenes?? Did D&D expect us to believe she would die there?? So much time wasted on this!!! Precious screen time on Arya running around!!

-          Great battle strategies… again… Let's have the golden company in front of the gates, yea that makes sense, not behind our walls while our scorpions do the work.

-          Jon…. I mean, I don't even know… like… he is just there…

I hope Dany next episode goes around Westeros burning every big city, starting with WF, just for the laughs.

Archived