Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

4 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

The last watch video game of thrones uploaded to their youtube basically confirms Emilias last scene was in a room covered in ashes with a grey stump and a greenscreen behind it..hmmm what could this mean

She is going to burn more people?

Do they need to rub in our faces one more time how bad danny has become?

Just now, divica said:

She is going to burn more people?

Do they need to rub in our faces one more time how bad danny has become?

no, Jon will stab her and she will live long enough to touch the iron throne with the tips of her fingers :unsure:

3 hours ago, Grumpywolf said:

Am I the only one that was sooooo bored watching this episode? Isn't this the climax of the show? This proves the whole fight for the throne was not supposed to be the focus of the story. So much stupid nonsense but let's start with:

-          Dany's decision to burn them all. This is so poorly written and so sudden. Why can't we have scenes between her and Jon, Tyrion or whoever, where she tells them how she feels. Maybe have her tell them that she doesn't care for the people of King's Landing. That these people have stayed in the city minding their business while Cersei blew up the High Septon and crowned herself Queen. The people did nothing, no rebellion, no leaving King's Landing, nada. I don't know, I just came up with this but it would be something… Add that the fact that Jorah died and Missandei was killed by Cersei (FOR NO REASON), then maybe we would have some decent motivation for Dany's actions. Everything was rushed by D&D so we can have SHOCK, TWIST.

-          So the scorpions are useless now… ok and now the dragon can destroy stone walls and everything…Oh and the gate to the city…. Battle won in 30 minutes…. So can anyone explain me why didn't Dany attack the moment she arrived in Westeros? Like the dragons just have to clear the men on the walls, open the gate, get your army inside, and kill all the soldier’s and the whole throne plot would have ended before the NK.  Am I missing something? I genuinely forgot about most stuff from the last 2 seasons.

because she didn't want to burn the people alive, back then. But most importantly, because Tyrion's master genius plan included to go on the mission of the wight hunt.

13 hours ago, Obsidian Knight said:

Just finished watching the episode. 

Epic and disappointing at the same time. But I don't think that they ruined Daenerys. She is used to be the winner since the Dothraki times. She feels like a queen and seeks for adoration. She thinks that Westeros is hers to take by any means. I never really liked this character. Oppressed by her brother she grew greedy for power cause without it she's just a little fragile girl. We already saw how crazy she is about burning everyone who is against her. 

How she burned Tarlys and now Varys. I'm surprised that Jon and Tyrion followed her. SHE betrayed everyone not listening to the bells...

But soon her own child will turn against her. Drogon will listen to Jon.

I hope this happens! 

I never needed this catharsis before. But here I go.

what was the point of Jaime’s story? His whole story arc seemed to be about Cersei using him and manipulating him. But he wizened up. Only...he didn’t. He just went back to her. There was no point to any of his story.  there was no point to white walkers either.

no point to anything in this show I paid attention to, for eight years.

these guys think, “if we make explosions and dragons flying and battles (who cares about strategy) we can dizzy our dumb viewers into thinking we know what we are doing.”

D and D are just jangling keys for the lowest common denominators, knowing people will be content with garbage because “oooo bright lights!”

how did we all make these two hacks millionaires?

8 hours ago, LucyMormont said:

Direction, acting and visuals were good.

The scene between Tyrion and Jaime was good, except some stupid line of dialog that contradicts all of Jaime’s arc as a character. “To be honest, I never really cared much for them”.  Really? When in the core of Jaime’s arc there’s the fact that he couldn’t “stand by while thousands of men, women and children were burnt alive”, and was despised as an Oathbreaker and Kingslayer the rest of his life for that?

I took Jaime’s comment with a grain of salt. He’s playing the role of “Kingslayer, the man who doesn’t care.” In the books, he did the same thing when he went to the Riverlands. He’s playing up to what people believe about him. In this case, since Tyrion knows the real Jaime, it is like an inside joke.

29 minutes ago, nara said:

I took Jaime’s comment with a grain of salt. He’s playing the role of “Kingslayer, the man who doesn’t care.” In the books, he did the same thing when he went to the Riverlands. He’s playing up to what people believe about him. In this case, since Tyrion knows the real Jaime, it is like an inside joke.

Another way of looking at it is he's trying to convince himself. He's trying to be the 'hateful' person he told Brienne he is.

1 hour ago, Table8 said:

what was the point of Jaime’s story? His whole story arc seemed to be about Cersei using him and manipulating him. But he wizened up. Only...he didn’t. He just went back to her. There was no point to any of his story.

Disagree. The "redemption arc" is a pretty tired cliche; GRRM loves subverting expectations so he gave us a character who was so close to redemption - and then blew it. To me, that's brilliant writing - not necessarily interpreted well by D&D, but a great concept anyway.

1 hour ago, Radish Knight said:

To think Cersei would have won if she just had her men fire the scorpions at a grounded Drogon during the parley. She would have actually saved thousands of people. 

She ain't in the business of saving peasants. 

You all realize that Bran can see the future, it was confirmed with that shadow of Drogon flying over kingslanding. If you say well he can only see  flashes or whatever that isn't the case. He is supposed to be the ultimate power of supernatural seers etc. If people have the ability to see into the future to make prophecies then Bran is supposed to be even better at it than them . He could've warned Jon not to lead the red shirts to capture a wight. He could've kept Jon's true parentage to himself. If you say oh he was just tryin to play things out so Daenerys wouldn't be a threat. He could've prevented the NightKing getting passed the wall and saved countless amount of lives. Daenerys would've conquered Westeros easily and mitigated the loss of millions of lives. He is a sadistic one that three-eyed raven.

3 hours ago, Idrinkanddontknowanything said:

But soon her own child will turn against her. Drogon will listen to Jon.

Technically, this shouldn’t happen since dragons won’t take another rider while their original one lives, but it might make a lot of sense creatively.

3 minutes ago, hewman said:

Technically, this shouldn’t happen since dragons won’t take another rider while their original one lives, but it might make a lot of sense creatively.

I think it would be more consistent if Drogon puts her dead body on his back and flies back to Essos, maybe to where he was hatched.

5 hours ago, Nightwish said:

My greatest problem in overall is that I can no longer sympathize with anyone of the characters. 

Dany has been ruined. 

John cant figure 2 by 2. 

Bran use is done if there was ever a use for his character in the first place. 

Jamie? Reverts back to season 1. 

Arya just supports Sansa who has become Littlefinger number 2. Ungrateful both. 

Tyrion betrays Varys who betrays Dany and then betrays her himself to rescue two unregreteful characters that deserve each other but not the viewers sympathy. Oh come on. 

It’s not only Danys character here butchered. They all are one way or another. 

I feel you.

This episode showed me the deaths of characters I've liked for seasons (Jamie, Sandor), and characters I've despised for seasons. (Cersei, Euron).
I reacted to them pretty much in the same manner: Ah slightly apathetic "...eh".
Same with the slaughter and sacking of the innocent in King's Landing, I get it that I'm supposed to feel horrible for these people, and in any other form of media or fiction I would, but when watching it yesterday, all I felt was indifference.
Same with Arya (another ex favorite of mine), I felt completely indifferent to seeing her run around in horror, surviving one thing after the other, because I "knew" she wouldn't die thanks to that plot armor of hers, and even in the event that she did, I'd probably only react with mild surprise. 

This season has succeeded in making me barely give a damn about any character on the show anymore, which means that I by extension barely care about what's happening either. 

I'm so disappointed in what this season has made to the show I once loved, that part of me genuinely want the show to end with Daenerys ruling as the Queen of Ashes, enforcing her new world order onto the people of Westeros with terror and tyranny.

How's that for subverting tropes and expectations? 
Are you not entertained!?

40 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

You all realize that Bran can see the future, it was confirmed with that shadow of Drogon flying over kingslanding. If you say well he can only see  flashes or whatever that isn't the case. He is supposed to be the ultimate power of supernatural seers etc. If people have the ability to see into the future to make prophecies then Bran is supposed to be even better at it than them . He could've warned Jon not to lead the red shirts to capture a wight. He could've kept Jon's true parentage to himself. If you say oh he was just tryin to play things out so Daenerys wouldn't be a threat. He could've prevented the NightKing getting passed the wall and saved countless amount of lives. Daenerys would've conquered Westeros easily and mitigated the loss of millions of lives. He is a sadistic one that three-eyed raven.

I don't think so. Bran made it clear that it takes considerable time to see into the past, present (and if you're right and I don't think you are, the future). He can only see one 'vision' at a time, and in real time. So that means for all the knowledge about the world that he has, the vast majority is unknown to him. He chooses what to 'see' - such as his father's key events; he wasn't asked to 'see' the events you mention.

Archived