Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

I don't think so. Bran made it clear that it takes considerable time to see into the past, present (and if you're right and I don't think you are, the future). He can only see one 'vision' at a time, and in real time. So that means for all the knowledge about the world that he has, the vast majority is unknown to him. He chooses what to 'see' - such as his father's key events; he wasn't asked to 'see' the events you mention.

Why would he need to be asked to see something. He has the ability to follow up on relevant events past present and future. He was really keen on sending a raven scroll to Jon on Dragonstone telling him the army of the dead was heading towards Eastwatch. It didn't really have any relevance to Jon unless Bran knew Tyrion was going to come up with that idiotic plan to capture a Wyte. I don't know who told you he could only see one vision at a time and in real time, seems like something you made up. We've seen Bran have multiple visions when he was escaping from the 3eyedravens lair, it is also where we saw his glimpse into the future.

1 minute ago, darksellsword said:

I don't know who told you he could only see one vision at a time and in real time, seems like something you made up. We've seen Bran have multiple visions when he was escaping from the 3eyedravens lair, it is also where we saw his glimpse into the future.

Exactly this - what we saw was him having one vision at a time in real time - he couldn't 'rush them' hence the delay causing Hodor's death.

Just now, House Cambodia said:

Exactly this - what we saw was him having one vision at a time in real time - he couldn't 'rush them' hence the delay causing Hodor's death.

It seems that sequence of visions I am describing completely blows all three rules you established out of the water. He saw multiple visions at once he wasn't physically present in any of the scenes if that is what you meant by real time. If you meant everything he sees corresponds in length of time with those observing him having those visions then that hasn't been established either. I think you are mistaking greensight with skinchanging or warging as they call it on the show. We've never seen how much bran can see in a vision related in terms of linear time passing

1 minute ago, darksellsword said:

It seems that sequence of visions I am describing completely blows all three rules you established out of the water. He saw multiple visions at once he wasn't physically present in any of the scenes if that is what you meant by real time. If you meant everything he sees corresponds in length of time with those observing him having those visions then that hasn't been established either. I think you are mistaking greensight with skinchanging or warging as they call it on the show. We've never seen how much bran can see in a vision related in terms of linear time passing

The 'visions' he had of his father at the Tower of Joy - one by one, and they didn't whizz past in a second; they were revealed happened in real time. The 'vision' he had of the boy turning into Hodor - it would have been massively helpful if the could have learned that in a flash, but he had to wait for it to unravel in the same time it took for the events to happen.

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

The 'visions' he had of his father at the Tower of Joy - one by one, and they didn't whizz past in a second; they were revealed happened in real time. The 'vision' he had of the boy turning into Hodor - it would have been massively helpful if the could have learned that in a flash, but he had to wait for it to unravel in the same time it took for the events to happen.

It appears he can do both, watch events as they happened and in a deluge of images. We have no idea if he can smell events but clearly we can see his hair moving as he is witnessing past events we can assume he has other sensory experiences that haven't been documented for us as an audience.

15 hours ago, Masha's apron said:

I've just finished watching the episode. 

I'm actually disgusted. The episode is repulsive. 

It's pretty clear that they've used certain imagery for the shock factor. At one point, it seemed as thought they were trying to reproduce images from the fire bombing of Dresden, then 9/11, then Schindler's List and, in the context, just for the "shock and awe" of entertainment, it is pretty disgraceful. 

As for the story and the characters, well, nothing makes any sense. Dany has just incinerated a city for no reason apart from "feelz". No conqueror completely destroys a capital city in this way if they actually want to govern a country and its people because you destroy all the mechanisms of commerce and government if you do so. You only destroy a city like this if you want to wipe a people off the face of the earth. That, alongside the overtones of the Dothraki annihilation, leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth. 

They have completely destroyed GRRM's work. 

and I really feel for Emelia that dany will bee remembered for this..its a crock of shit 

1 minute ago, Sir Hedge of Hog said:

and I really feel for Emelia that dany will bee remembered for this..its a crock of shit 

Not necessarily. It depends on how she does in other productions. She was in a movie last year that suggested (to me) her acting is better than in GoT but not brilliant. On the other hand, Kit Harington appears to be extremely wooden whatever he does.

2 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

It appears he can do both, watch events as they happened and in a deluge of images. We have no idea if he can smell events but clearly we can see his hair moving as he is witnessing past events we can assume he has other sensory experiences that haven't been documented for us as an audience.

So are you suggesting Bran is some kind of omniscient being with the Mind of God? Because that is so far from how he is portrayed.

36 minutes ago, Sir Hedge of Hog said:

I thought so too at first. Poor Emilia, her legacy is burned to cinders and she hates it.
(At least she still has her amazing personality, which tends to be quite memorable.)

Then a thought occurred to me: While Daenerys turn into a evil genocidal maniac is super rushed, forced and contrived (I hate how they portrayed it on the show), it along with the general GoT-backlash we're currently witnessing (where more or less everyone hates Season 8), will ultimately be remembered for far longer than it otherwise would've had been.
It will hurt the franchise, possibly GRRM and hopefully D&D, but the actors will emerge mostly unscathed. 

More people will remember Daenerys (and feel sorry for Emilia) this way, than if Daenerys' character had gotten a somewhat happy ending.

Ultimately, this is better PR for Emilia, who's never really gotten to play visibly evil before. I wrote it in a different topic earlier, but part of me really wishes we'd have at least 2-3 episodes to go so we could really delve into this new evil side of Daenerys and how the few remaining characters are forced to deal with her, her dragon and her (still substantial) army while she starts enacting her new world order by means of fear, terror and tyranny.

All hail the Queen of Ashes!

I think this season actually gave Emilia really the possibility to show her acting skills instead of doing all the time those speeches/being regal which are IMO her weak point. 

For seasons I didn't really like her acting. This season however is Emilia really doing fine. 

4 minutes ago, Runaway Penguin said:

Just one thing... Still stabbing through breastplate... Sigh. I know it looks cool and all that for people who do not really think about it, but it is such a terrible trope...

D&D: What are you, a fucking idiot? We did our research, and know that breastplate is actually just there to look tough. Most breastplate was actually made of paper, crushing weapons were never invented to compensate for it, medieval people just used swords and arrows! After extensive masturbation to isekai rape fantasy anime, we couldn't find a single maul or warhammer. So don't you tell us what's implausible when you clearly haven't done the research! 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:07 AM, Forlong the Fat said:

So Euron pops out of the sea right when and where Jamie is going into the castle. OK, maybe he’s trying to get in the same place as Jamie, but the timing is a tremendous coincidence. He wants to fight Jamie to the death because—he’s Euron? And he’s totally excited to kill Jamie because—he’s Euron?

There’s no point I can see other than having Jamie get into a desperate fight and disposing of Euron. Now, if Euron had been mad about the baby, maybe he would have had some motivation. And maybe he could have tracked Jamie down instead of randomly washing in from the sea like a fortuitous message in a bottle—but as we know he wasn’t really listening about the baby.

Even if he didn't work out the baby puzzle, Urine's been dogging Jaime from the moment they met, and he assumes Jaime's there for Cersei. To kill her or be with her, doesn't matter. Because Urine marked that territory. No takesy-backsies. 

1 hour ago, House Cambodia said:

So are you suggesting Bran is some kind of omniscient being with the Mind of God? Because that is so far from how he is portrayed.

There are many shades between "He has to watch every vision in 'real time' or 'real speed'" and "omniscience". Omniscience would mean he simply knows everything there is without even needing to have visions. And thats obviously not the case, because he didn't know of Rhaegar's and Lyana's marriage until Sam mentioned that.

In my opinion he can control the amount of time he spends on a vision, like fast forwarding through videos. And like fast forwarding through videos watching visions not in real time will probably result in missing details.

27 minutes ago, Runaway Penguin said:

Just one thing... Still stabbing through breastplate... Sigh. I know it looks cool and all that for people who do not really think about it, but it is such a terrible trope...

Yes, thats not plausible. And what angers me the most, they could have simply avoided that. One of the debris hitting the mountain could have easily hit the armor in a way, so that it became penetrable by a sword.

16 minutes ago, Haskelltier said:

There are many shades between "He has to watch every vision in 'real time' or 'real speed'" and "omniscience". Omniscience would mean he simply knows everything there is without even needing to have visions. And thats obviously not the case, because he didn't know of Rhaegar's and Lyana's marriage until Sam mentioned that.

In my opinion he can control the amount of time he spends on a vision, like fast forwarding through videos. And like fast forwarding through videos watching visions not in real time will probably result in missing details.

Okay, I was trying to understand where along that spectrum darksell lies. Your line is certainly plausible although I wouldn't draw it there myself. I doubt we'll get any further clarity in next week's episode and will have to wait for tWOW or even aDoS.

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Let’s look at our plot, which now has more holes than the Red Keep. 

<snip>

Perfect! :cheers: :bowdown:

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

And no, Daenerys’s madness wasn’t foreshadowed and shoehorning hindsight bias into previously celebrated scenes isn’t proof that it was. 

She watched her brother killed and wasn’t frazzled? Ned Stark demanded his ten year old son to watch an execution and not be frazzled. Jon Snow hanged a child and wasn’t frazzled. Stannis Baratheon burned his own daughter and wasn’t frazzled. Sansa Stark fed a man alive to hounds and wasn’t frazzled. Am I SERIOUSLY supposed think that in this universe watching your abusive brother who just threatened to cut your unborn child out of you without being frazzled is a sign of madness?! 

Could we please fucking establish a definition for madness in this fucking universe before we start to build it up? And no, putting lines like “I’m concerned for her state of mind” in the mouths of characters like Varys a known master manipulator isn’t a fucking definition. Oh my god how can you screw this shit up so badly?

This whole mad queen business could have been the most heart wrenching, sad, tragic, beautifully done character arc motion picture history has ever seen. How how how how can you fuck it up so badly and how dare you justify it be recontextualizing previous scenes? 

Agreed - they just refused to make enough episodes to let this type of arc breathe.  

8 hours ago, Minsc said:

Rhaegal should have died in this episode. They should have had it so he was hit by a missle after the bells had started ringing on the orders of a defiant Cersei. Thus making Dany think the Lannisters have betrayed the terms resulting in the death of one of her children and her lover (unknown to her Jon survives).  That would her madness turn make more sense. 

Would have ben much more effective, agreed.

I've enjoyed this season by and large, if not for all  the action then for the quiet moments. However I didn't like what happened w/Jaime overall. I wish he hadn't rushed off to Cersei thus negating his redemption. I also wasn't happy w/Cersei's death really. It's odd people are asking did she die and the only reason it seems is because it wasn't explicit. I wanted Arya to do the deed.

2 hours ago, Haskelltier said:

But in the books they call these visions 'Green dreams', no? When it comes to dreams time is relative. Our brain runs through a dream much faster than while we are awake. According to scientists most dreams last only a few second even though the dreamer feels that it was longer. Perhaps this is applicable to Green dreams as well. So Bran could experience a 30 minute vision in a few seconds in the real world

Archived