Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

Just now, MinscS2 said:

One can hope...
She got the throne but it won't bring her happiness and it cost her (and us) everything and everyone. 

BiTtErSwEeT...!

I always thought that was one possible final scenario - Daenerys gets what she's always wanted, and realises that she hates it, and hates the price she paid to get there.

9 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Maybe the story ends with Dany killing all the other main characters, and reigning for decades.

I've honestly been hoping that since last episode.  Maybe before.  Just burn the world and sit on your throne contemplating the ash.

40 minutes ago, ummester said:

Sure - but if you entrust your message to someone who can't hear properly, its totally dismissive/evasive and uncountable of you to blame the other persons ears right? And if you know the telephone line is fucked, why did you use it to relay the message? And, if you were so dumb that you trusted the line and the person on the other end, after both turned out out be incredibly faulty, then you do not have the right to call yourself intellectual or erudite.

Even so.

"I love roses and I hate dandelions but water lilies are stunning" ..... "Peace lilies are poisonous to house-pets so they must be destroyed."

Both refer to lilies but the idea could not be further apart.

So, please...make it make sense. Because as it stands it doesn't and can't logically follow.

17 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

So, this is happening:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/entertainment/game-thrones-petition/index.html?utm_source=change_org&utm_medium=petition

And the petition is currently running up on 500,000 signatures.

With CNN picking it up, I'd expect it to achieve full viral status within the next day or two.

Hopefully. And if the ending from the leaks end up being true, this gonna be a shitstorm never seen before and expect that petition to reach 2 million+

54 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I always thought that was one possible final scenario - Daenerys gets what she's always wanted, and realises that she hates it, and hates the price she paid to get there.

One scene that I want to happen in the next episode, that might actually happen, is a scene of Daenerys entering the burnt out throne room of the Red Keep. She then moves towards the Iron Throne (still mostly intact), stops about 20 feet away from it, gives it a long, cold, indifferent glare, before simply turning heel and leaving.
(And then we see Drogon finally destroying it.)

1 minute ago, RhaenysBee said:

I wonder if they feel bad about the job they have done. I’m sure they do on some level. But then, they already have their paychecks so they can just shrug and move on with their lives. 

They probably feel somewhat bad or some sort of shame after witnessing the current backlash, but ultimately they probably don't really care.
They already got paid, and they already have a contract with Disney about Star Wars. 

11 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Imagine if the main plot for S8 had leaked a week or so after S7 ended back in 2017...

- Jon and Daenerys arrive at Winterfell.
- There are some reunions and some tension. The Stark-children barely get any screen time together. 
- Jon's parentage only serves to break up Jonerys.
- The AotD attacks. A few named characters die but ultimately casualties are lower than expected.
- The NK and his entire army dies due to a swift sneakattack from Arya. Bran is useless.
- Daenerys shifts her attention to King's Landing but suffer some questionable setbacks. Jamie throws his redemption arc in the nearest ditch.
- The battle is ultimately one-sided, and at the moment of victory Daenerys turns into a psychopathic killer because of...reasons, and destroys the city and kills most of it's populace. Cleganebowl, then Jamie and Cersei dies anti-climatically from falling rocks. 
- (assumptions for E6) Jon kills Daenerys, tells Sansa to fuck off and leaves for the real north. 

The End.

People would laugh condescendingly and consider it really really bad fanfic...

Honestly, back then no one would have believed it.  Especially since most of all the talk seemed to be about that Magic Incest Baby that seemed to be foreshadowed in all the stupid.........they are the only children I will ever have (the dragons), and Jon finally saying:  Did you ever consider that you might be believing something that isn't true?  The past two years spec seemed to be about why would there be a Targ restoration and a magic incest baby if Jaime and Cersei illustrate how bad that is? 

While I do think something could go bad, sad, and/or look like it means Mad Queen Dany, I highly doubt it's in this manner.  As you said, so far, it seems that Dany's turn is just for:  REASONS.  Considering all the character arc from the WW on (plus no NK in the books anyway) seem a fanfictiony mess (I'm willing to bet LOTS O CASH that Arya does not defeat the WW almost single handedly, if at all), I'm not sure why I should believe the outcomes for anything that happened in the Battle of KL.  I'm not sure Book Cersei will even be in KL when Dany comes for it.  Then again, if I think TOO MUCH, I'll just find more and more things that don't make sense in this past episode or past two seasons, at the very least. 

9 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

I don't believe either Arya or Tyrion will die in the show (although I hope they do).  Arya will leave to find out "what's west of Westeros", because they love their matchy-matchy dialogue. Everyone will want to save pure, lovely St. Tyrion. *throws up furball*

As for the rest, who can say - it's all such a disaster.

LOL  Yeah, this whole thing is like watching and hearing a furball come up, isn't it?  And, we are the ones left to clean it up, too, it seems. 

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

One scene that I want to happen in the next episode, that might actually happen, is a scene of Daenerys entering the burnt out throne room of the Red Keep. She then moves towards the Iron Throne (still mostly intact), stops about 20 feet away from it, gives it a long, cold, indifferent glare, before simply turning heel and leaving.
(And then we see Drogon finally destroying it.)

However her story ends, her life was not a waste.  She helped to save the world from an existential threat, and freed people from slavery.  In all likelihood future generations will see her as a heroine.

7 minutes ago, SeanF said:

However her story ends, her life was not a waste.  She helped to save the world from an existential threat, and freed people from slavery.  In all likelihood future generations will see her as a heroine.

I'm not so sure to be honest, it really depends on the next episode.

Currently she will be remembered as the existential threat who first saved the world from another existential threat, before ultimately destroying and killing more than the existential threat she initially fought (yes, the AotD would've destroyed all of Westeros given time, but as of right now, Daenerys most likely killed more people in one episode than the AotD did over the course of 7 seasons).

As for freeing people from slavery, sure, but we don't know if those cities will remain free after she's gone. Word of her demise will spread and soon the nobility of Mereen/Yunkai/Astapor will, with the help of Volantis, probably go back to their old slaving ways.

She did dethrone Cersei, but ultimately Cersei's death toll against the commonfolk is almost negligible.

And she did more or less wipe out the Dothraki, so the people around the Dothraki Sea, especially the Lhazareen will be thankful ... I guess...

Yeah, I'm honestly still firmly in the "What was, or is there even a point of Daenerys story"-camp, waiting for some sort of payoff.
It sucks here by the way, stay away. :thumbsdown:

18 minutes ago, SeanF said:

The north doesn t even like her and they actualy lived the threat!

She will be remembered as a crazy targ that burned KL… Even worse than her father...

Just now, SeanF said:

The burning of Kings Landing is great, when set to Hell's Bells, by AC DC.

LOL  I was actually thinking of that myself as a good name for this edition of the Rant and Rave thread.

I haven't tried a rewatch yet.  I may, just to get properly set for last round of this crap on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:

So, this is happening:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/entertainment/game-thrones-petition/index.html?utm_source=change_org&utm_medium=petition

And the petition is currently running up on 500,000 signatures.

With CNN picking it up, I'd expect it to achieve full viral status within the next day or two.

Good.

But even if the number of signature skyrockets from 500k to 1m much less 2m+....what then? Who will plot, produce and manage the massive redo of the series?

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum obviously can't do it

4 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Good.

But even if the number of signature skyrockets from 500k to 1m much less 2m+....what then? Who will plot, produce and manage the massive redo of the series?

I doubt it will do much besides shaming D&D. Which is reason enough to sign it…

But if we are lucky there might be an alternate ending in the blue rays… Someday they might tell a diferent story in a diferent medim (animation)

15 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Good.

Is that a threat or a promise? :P

Honestly, nothing much will happen from the petition, except for it becoming more and more widespread at how extremely unhappy the fan base is with season 8 as a whole.

The best thing to potentially come out of this is a) HBO releasing the alternative endings they filmed, allowing people to pick whatever ending they prefer and b) D&D's reputation getting dragged trough the dirt.

A minor point is also that the actors who hate the direction of Season 8 (looking primarily at you Emilia) will get some sort of comfort knowing that the fans are on their side and hates it just as much as they do.

3 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Is that a threat or a promise? :P

Honestly, nothing much will happen from the petition, except for it becoming more and more widespread at how extremely unhappy the fan base is with season 8 as a whole. The best thing to potentially come out of this is a) HBO releasing the alternative endings they filmed, allowing people to pick whatever ending they prefer and b) D&D's reputation getting dragged through the dirt. 

I'm taking the Plan B pill.

Their reputation should get dragged through the dirt. Putting the show on hiatus for two years only to produce this. It's absolutely atrocious.

I can't think of a screenwriter who deliberately torches their own ending to their own story or a producer who just gives up on a project and tries to ride the wave. It's horrifically unprofessional. It's worse than phoning it in. Because phoning it in implies that they addressed all the issues in the most minimalistic way possible.

And honestly this makes HBO look really bad. The HBO people -- suits or otherwise -- had to have seen this; the fact that they just let some of this stuff air without even mitigating some of the mistakes in post-production (i.e. the Starbucks cup, the poor visibility in the Long Night)

2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

And honestly this makes HBO look really bad. The HBO people -- suits or otherwise -- had to have seen this; the fact that they just let some of this stuff air without even mitigating some of the mistakes in post-production (i.e. the Starbucks cup, the poor visibility in the Long Night)

Money talks. A petition isn't enough.

Ultimately the only thing that might actually cause HBO to seriously consider a remake with new writers (and as many of the old cast as possible - again, money talks. I believe with enough an incentive, many actors would be willing to do a remake, especially those who hate the ending) is if a large enough number of people actively start to boycott everything related to them.

If HBO realize that there's either a big profit in a remake, or a potential loss in both revenue and good will by letting things be the way they currently are, they might consider it.

Remember that HBO wanted more episodes and seasons, it was D&D who said no, so I don't think they themselves will be that hard to persuade. 
Getting the cast and production team (minus D&D) on board after this travesty will be far harder. 

Archived