Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, he had heard the whole convo between Tyrion and Cersei in the previous episode. Too bad he wasn’t paying attention, as the director explained in an interview later. 

They explained it? :lmao: there’s always lower, I suppose. 

19 hours ago, Rockroi said:

The Last Time a Spider Died That Lamely was Michael Imperioli in Goodfellas: What. The. Actual. Fuck.  Why would Varys be so stupid, so careless and so cavalier with the truth?  Why would he be so amazingly stupid?!  Now, yes, let’s all remember that Varys’ fears were justified – Dany DID turn out to be nuts, BUT … that was NOT why Varys changed his mind; he changed it due to Jon being Aegon VI.  Why would Varys be so sloppy, so stupid, so … lame?...Varys and that fat guy in Pentose (seriously does not matter); 

Remember, Varys was conspiring with Pentose Guy to install Viserys, not Danny. He's like the CIA, moving pieces on a whim, according to who he thinks would better serve his abstract notion of the Realm moment to moment. Leaving a legacy of ashes behind him. 

It wasn't merely that Jon is ahead of her in succession. He thought Jon is a better person. No reason I can see why Varys was so stupid about it, except that Danny's court consists of like three people now. Not many to conspire with. 

8 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

But mostly, I think, to get Jon off of Rhaegal at that point

Yes. Because if Jon had his dragon he might have attacked Daenerys to try to stop her. There would have been a dragon battle over King's Landing. Which would have been more interesting than what we got. Would Rhaegal have attacked his brother and mother? Maybe someone could have warged him. We'll never know. 

20 hours ago, Corvinus said:

This time, I don’t think I have as many ranting points as before. I liked some of the episode, mainly on the imagery side. That being said:

• The ruination of Daenerys Targaryen is now also complete.
  • After the Night King, y’all were mad about Cersei being the final boss. Haha, who knew Dany would be it. Subversion!!! I really don’t know what else to say about this. Thoroughly disappointing.
  • But why be mad about this? Missandei’s last word was “Dracarys”. You gotta respect your friend’s dying wish, right?
  • What’s the point of still seeing Last Hearth in the intro, but not Dragonstone? Ran over budget with all that stuff? Ooo, are we going to be subverted again?
  • Varys did some stuff, he got himself killed. Check! Who’s next?
  • St. Tyrion was in full force this episode, and Jon did some stuff, too.
  • Brave Ser Davos was in the front lines. And he must have borrowed one of those jetpacks that he had time to arrange for the dingy, and still be by Jon’s side.
  • The ironborn must have gotten pissed drunk the night before. None of them could hit the side of a barn. I’m going to assume that in this week’s Inside the Episode, Benioff will say that Euron kinda forgot he had control of the Blackwater Bay, and allowed all the Unsullied with Grey Worm to sail pretty much next to King’s Landing.
  • All those scorpions looked mighty pretty on the city walls, not firing at Jon’s approaching army or at the forces encamped below the walls. I guess those Imperial Lannister weapons technicians really had shite training (unlike the drunkard ironborn) No one thought to add scorpions on the inner walls of the Red Keep?
  • Is the Golden Company a sellsword company, or a national standing army? Whatever, in the end, the Golden Company was bullshit. Subversion!!! If only they had the elephants.
  • Harrenhal’s towers were literally melted by the heat of Balerion’s fire. Drogon’s fire, on the other hand, is almost as hot, but also hits with the force of two 747 engines and just blow a building down.
  • Jaime was mortally wounded by Euron in a pointless fight, and Euron died gloating about it. Not that it mattered, Jaime decided to die with Cersei. Subversion!!!
  • While I liked Cleganebowl, Sandor shoving his sword all the way through unGregor’s armor was yet another example in the long line of armor-is-for-suckers mantra. And mind you, that armor just held without a scratch against blocks of falling stone.
  • If only we had gotten as much screen time of Arya sneaking through the wights to get to the NK, as we got of her trying to escape the city. And now we got to see library Arya again, only upped a notch. Three times she nearly died, but what can you do when subversion and plot armor join forces? What can anyone do in the face of such reckless writing?

Shit, I guess I did have plenty of points. Subversion!!!

A lot of great points here that I was thinking myself as I watched. 

It’s amazing how things just happen to work out so overwhelmingly in favor of whatever result the writers are after during any given episode - regardless of how the same basic actions seemed to work in a completely opposite way the previous time. It’s just plot armor. That’s another reason the books are so much better.

The problem with the books on the other hand is that we not ever get an ding - satisfactory or otherwise. That’s why I just sort of turn off my suspension of disbelief and try to enjoy the story on my screen. It sure gets tough sometimes though. . .

17 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

It dawned on me sometime today that the reason Euron was so effective last week and not this week was two things, Dany's Insta-Madness but also, to deprive Jon of a dragon.  That is my new name for Dany's condition, I think.  Insta-Madness.  And of course, to lull us into thinking that Drogon wouldn't be oh so effective.  But mostly, I think, to get Jon off of Rhaegal at that point. 

Rhaegal should have died in this episode. They should have had it so he was hit by a missle after the bells had started ringing on the orders of a defiant Cersei. Thus making Dany think the Lannisters have betrayed the terms resulting in the death of one of her children and her lover (unknown to her Jon survives).  That would her madness turn make more sense. 

8 minutes ago, Minsc said:

Rhaegal should have died in this episode. They should have had it so he was hit by a missle after the bells had started ringing on the orders of a defiant Cersei. Thus making Dany think the Lannisters have betrayed the terms resulting in the death of one of her children and her lover (unknown to her Jon survives).  That would her madness turn make more sense. 

That would trigger a rage and would be understandable.  Insta-Mad Dany isn't.  There are so many ways it could have been more sensible, more believable. 

17 minutes ago, Wsc48 said:

Yes. Because if Jon had his dragon he might have attacked Daenerys to try to stop her. There would have been a dragon battle over King's Landing. Which would have been more interesting than what we got. Would Rhaegal have attacked his brother and mother? Maybe someone could have warged him. We'll never know. 

Yup, that might have been interesting, and we'd be left wondering what the dragon riding rules are here.  Are they the same as ASOIAF and a rider is the main connection or would it be different considering how Rhaegal was brought into the world by Dany in such a specific manner, different from the known history. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

And I want to know who the fuck Martha is.

Where did Martha come from? 

Benedict Cumberbatch never found out who Martha is or how she got on Dragonstone but fortunately it doesn’t matter because she was crushed to death after she fell into one of the bottomless plot holes. 

Rewatching episode 3, I could have sworn good ole Martha was one of the kids with Varys in the crypt. If so, I really want to claim genius status, but that crown goes to you. Long live the Queen!

My greatest problem in overall is that I can no longer sympathize with anyone of the characters. 

Dany has been ruined. 

John cant figure 2 by 2. 

Bran use is done if there was ever a use for his character in the first place. 

Jamie? Reverts back to season 1. 

Arya just supports Sansa who has become Littlefinger number 2. Ungrateful both. 

Tyrion betrays Varys who betrays Dany and then betrays her himself to rescue two unregreteful characters that deserve each other but not the viewers sympathy. Oh come on. 

It’s not only Danys character here butchered. They all are one way or another. 

I've noticed that the majority of people defending this garbage are the casuals who began watching this show because it's so popular.

"lolol the haters are so mad".
That's the target audience now.

12 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

My greatest problem in overall is that I can no longer sympathize with anyone of the characters. 

Gendry. He rowed for so long they forgot about him. They spent so little time developing or assassinating his character arc that I actually still like him. 

Maybe he can be King. 

Martha just started hanging out with Varys on Dragonstone brought Daenerys poisoned food :P no wonder Dany knew instantly that she had been betrayed, it doesn't take Sherlock to work that one out . clue 1, small child trying to surreptitiously poison her what can she deduce from that...Varys knows Jon is the true heir and is trying to poison her. I would've laughed if they had a call back to season 2 and have Varys sending one of his scrolls accidentally to Dany like Ser Amory Lorch.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Dany going crazy storyline could have easily worked (or at least worked better) if they had just resisted the urge to set up the fanservice Jon + Dany romance. 

It could be set up where Dany has been told for years that the Targaryens would be treated like heroic saviours by the people of Westeros - first by Viserys, then by Jorah, Barristan, Tyrion, Varys, etc. Then, when she finally gets to Westeros, she's treated like the savage conqueror. Even her allies, the North, etc. treat her warily and reluctantly.

She uses the same tactics that she had been using against against the cartoonish slavers now against the Westorsi Lords, but instead of cheers, she's met with disgust. Finally, becoming increasingly isolated and resentful, she finds out the heroic leader of the Northmen, someone who is especially standoffish and suspicious of her, Jon, actually has a better claim than her for the throne. And her main advisors, who have been talking her up for years, start to drift towards him. I think it would at least be understandable (though obviously not justifiable) when she eventually snaps.

A bonus is that post-resurrection Jon would be forced to actually do things and lead in that storyline instead of being a useless sadsack.

The plot that we got, however, with Jon being her number 1 superfan (even if he is slightly grossed out currently about banging her) just doesn't set up her turn at all. With the leader of the supposed opposing faction being firmly on her side, her lashing out the way that she did just doesn't make sense. 

2 minutes ago, aquintus said:

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Dany going crazy storyline could have easily worked (or at least worked better) if they had just resisted the urge to set up the fanservice Jon + Dany romance. 

It could be set up where Dany has been told for years that the Targaryens would be treated like heroic saviours by the people of Westeros - first by Viserys, then by Jorah, Barristan, Tyrion, Varys, etc. Then, when she finally gets to Westeros, she's treated like the savage conqueror. Even her allies, the North, etc. treat her warily and reluctantly.

She uses the same tactics that she had been using against against the cartoonish slavers now against the Westorsi Lords, but instead of cheers, she's met with disgust. Finally, becoming increasingly isolated and resentful, she finds out the heroic leader of the Northmen, someone who is especially standoffish and suspicious of her, Jon, actually has a better claim than her for the throne. And her main advisors, who have been talking her up for years, start to drift towards him. I think it would at least be understandable (though obviously not justifiable) when she eventually snaps.

A bonus is that post-resurrection Jon would be forced to actually do things and lead in that storyline instead of being a useless sadsack.

The plot that we got, however, with Jon being her number 1 superfan (even if he is slightly grossed out currently about banging her) just doesn't set up her turn at all. With the leader of the supposed opposing faction being firmly on her side, her lashing out the way that she did just doesn't make sense. 

THAT is one of the things I have been ranting about.

If they wanted jonerys to happen then this mad queen ending doesn t make sense. As long as they love each other they can simply marry and avoid all conflict.

By the way, have people seen the most recent rating on imdb?

8.2  8.5   8.1   6.2    6.9

They are basically the lowest eps of the entire series and their ranking keep decreasing… Will we have some interview with D&D apologizing for making this crap?

If they couldn't write the ending and we now know they can't, I would have so much more respect for them if they had just ended it at season 7 finale. They would have so much more artistic integrity left. It would have been perfect, people would speculate on whether or not they defeat the Nightking etc, instead they made us wait 2 years for this fanfiction shite.

10 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Damn, I miss them.  Mark Addy had a terrific Robert Baratheon thundering voice. 

By this season rules both of them would probably still be alive and ned would be a xenophobe and robert would be smashing the smallfolk of KL with his hammer until everybody died...

Archived