Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

3 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Money talks. A petition isn't enough.

Ultimately the only thing that might actually cause HBO to seriously consider a remake with new writers (and as many of the old cast as possible - again, money talks. I believe with enough an incentive, many actors would be willing to do a remake, especially those who hate the ending) is if a large enough number of people actively start to boycott everything related to them.

If HBO realize that there's either a big profit in a remake, or a potential loss in both revenue and good will by letting things be the way they currently are, they might consider it.

Remember that HBO wanted more episodes and seasons, it was D&D who said no, so I don't think they themselves will be that hard to persuade. 
Getting the cast and production team (minus D&D) on board after this travesty will be far harder. 

We would have far better luck trying to get an animated remake greenlighted than getting the cast to turn on the guys that made them famous. I think the majority of the cast want to move on to new projects now they have the notoriety,

@MinscS2 Agreed. It is too late.

The best you can hope for is that the reputations of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum are ruined and that HBO's wallet takes a hit. The potential for the prequels to be a huge blockbuster, money-printing hit was high. Not any more.

Especially not if a prequel revolves around the first Long Night. That ship has sailed.

In other news:

Weiss said there's another popular finale he hopes their ending evokes.
"I'm hoping we get the 'Breaking Bad' [finale] argument where it's like, "Is that an A or an A+?,'" he said. "I want that to be the argument. I just wish we found better directors for it."

Oh, so it's all the directors' fault now? Oh wait....they are the directors. And have been the directors for three -- and soon-to-be four -- episodes in a row.

Benioff told EW "From the beginning, we've talked about how the show would end."

"A good story isn't a good story if you have a bad ending," he said. "Of course we worry."

I... I don't even...

:lmao:

37 minutes ago, divica said:

I doubt it will do much besides shaming D&D. Which is reason enough to sign it…

But if we are lucky there might be an alternate ending in the blue rays… Someday they might tell a diferent story in a diferent medim (animation)

:agree:

13 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

I... I don't even...

:lmao:

This whole thing reminds me of a science project I had in seventh grade.

I was immature and totally unprepared for the demands of an honors science class. So, I was already struggling in the class (I was looking at a C-) but this final project was my one and only hope for a B-

So naturally, I waited until the last minute to start the project: the night before the project was due. Not the day before, the night before. And I couldn't turn this project in late. This was the second to last day of school, I had things to do for the actual last day (things that weren't frivolous and couldn't be done in less than 1 hour) and I was leaving for summer camp a few days later that weekend.

And then I stayed up all night and got pretty much nowhere.

With dawn upon me and the school bus down the street, I just decided to throw it all together knowing that what I had thrown all together was complete garbage, deciding that something was better than nothing and thinking that I would never see or hear from that teacher again. I distinctly remember telling a friend of mine, "It's going to turn out okay."

Turns out that I got a zero anyways which took me down to an F and the teacher called my parents. And I never went to that summer camp.

27 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:
Weiss said there's another popular finale he hopes their ending evokes.
"I'm hoping we get the 'Breaking Bad' [finale] argument where it's like, "Is that an A or an A+?,'" he said. "I want that to be the argument. I just wish we found better directors for it."

Oh, so it's all the directors' fault now? Oh wait....they are the directors. And have been the directors for three -- and soon-to-be four -- episodes in a row.

This can t be serious… 

47 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

This whole thing reminds me of a science project I had in seventh grade.

I was immature and totally unprepared for the demands of an honors science class. So, I was already struggling in the class (I was looking at a C-) but this final project was my one and only hope for a B-

So naturally, I waited until the last minute to start the project: the night before the project was due. Not the day before, the night before. And I couldn't turn this project in late. This was the second to last day of school, I had things to do for the actual last day (things that weren't frivolous and couldn't be done in less than 1 hour) and I was leaving for summer camp a few days later that weekend.

And then I stayed up all night and got pretty much nowhere.

With dawn upon me and the school bus down the street, I just decided to throw it all together knowing that what I had thrown all together was complete garbage, deciding that something was better than nothing and thinking that I would never see or hear from that teacher again. I distinctly remember telling a friend of mine, "It's going to turn out okay."

Turns out that I got a zero anyways which took me down to an F and the teacher called my parents. And I never went to that summer camp.

While D&D got millions out of it... and a Star Wars deal. They've been getting away with presenting incoherent random writing for years, leaving the fans to justify what was put on screen. It's not far fetched to believe that, given that it's the last season, D&D would arrogantly choose to strut all over the story to deliberately make the point that they are above needing to write solid arcs, listening to critique, care about the story, respect the source material or the amazing work of production team and actors.

2 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  I was actually thinking of that myself as a good name for this edition of the Rant and Rave thread.

I haven't tried a rewatch yet.  I may, just to get properly set for last round of this crap on Sunday. 

Cersei was wrong.  Hell's Bells is a great sacking song.

Know what’s very funny, in a sad and depressing kind of way? 

We should all be theorising like mad about the finale, is this going to happen, or that, and so on. 

Instead, the only buzz about the very final episode of The Greatest Show on EarthTM is, “which of the very stupid leaks will turn out to be true?”

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Know what’s very funny, in a sad and depressing kind of way? 

We should all be theorising like mad about the finale, is this going to happen, or that, and so on. 

Instead, the only buzz about the very final episode of The Greatest Show on EarthTM is, “which of the very stupid leaks will turn out to be true?”

And what makes it even worse is that it is the sentiment since the NK was killed. We aren t talking only about a bad final. We are talking about a really bad season with 4 eps that ruined the series and 2 of set up where nothing really happens...

Things are so bad that we have people asking if who will see the prequels or if the ending is similar then don t want  to read the books...

On 5/14/2019 at 9:36 PM, Cas Stark said:

The problem w/Dany is that the show has tried to have it both ways.  They portrayed her actions as basically, tough, but necessary, the bad guys deserved it.  This is how all of the music, and other visual choices cued the audience to feel, and the audience for the most part agreed.  Badass.   Now, they want to retroactively call all these badass actions as foreshadowing that she will go nuts.

I disagree that the "music and visual choices cued the audience to feel" that her actions were necessary. I can't recall every single situation but how they were presented varies definitely. When the Unsullied leave the city after being freed, the music is discomforting and the scene rather threatening. Also when she burns Drogo and Mirri. I am not saying it does foreshadow her recent actions, just that there also were darker tones at times.

Apart from how these scenes were delivered: It's up to the viewers to reflect what happened. Was it (always) necessary/unavoidable to burn people alive? Was it necessary to punish the slavers by using their own cruel methods (crucifixion)? To lock up people in a giant safe so they would starve or run out of air? It was often easy to relate to those decisions because of the wrongs that have been done to Daenerys; and because she mostly had to oppose characters which were easy to dislike. Her freeing slaves and fighting slavers of course made her likeable. But there was often another side to her doing: Jorah hesitated to burn Mirri; Barristan asked her not crucify the masters. She was often ruthless when she didn't get her way or was being opposed and she was merciless against those who deserved punishment in her view. But she also was kind so her other traits could be accepted or (too easily) be overlooked.

Long story short: In my view her portrayal (before Westeros) tended not (always) clearly to one side or another. So i think describing it as "badass" does not do it justice because of Daenerys' ambiguity.

This is not about her character development last episode. That is another issue.

2 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Money talks. A petition isn't enough.

Ultimately the only thing that might actually cause HBO to seriously consider a remake with new writers (and as many of the old cast as possible - again, money talks. I believe with enough an incentive, many actors would be willing to do a remake, especially those who hate the ending) is if a large enough number of people actively start to boycott everything related to them.

If HBO realize that there's either a big profit in a remake, or a potential loss in both revenue and good will by letting things be the way they currently are, they might consider it.

Remember that HBO wanted more episodes and seasons, it was D&D who said no, so I don't think they themselves will be that hard to persuade. 
Getting the cast and production team (minus D&D) on board after this travesty will be far harder. 

Well, if GRRM ever completes the saga (:lol: ) HBO or some other company may want to make a new version... But we will be old grey-haired folk ay that point... or maybe deas...

Given the character and story destruction this season has brought, this is a nitpick, but isn't it a bad idea to have some random bells that aren't even inside the Red Keep ringing be a sign of surrender?  Doesn't that mean any random person on either side of the fight could go ring the bell simply to create confusion and chaos?

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Given the character and story destruction this season has brought, this is a nitpick, but isn't it a bad idea to have some random bells that aren't even inside the Red Keep ringing be a sign of surrender?  Doesn't that mean any random person on either side of the fight could go ring the bell simply to create confusion and chaos?

It's worse than that. They established on the show in Season 2 Episode 9 the blackwater that Bells ring as an alert that the city is under attack, Davos even says "I've never known bells to mean surrender" so there would've been a 100 percent chance the Bells would be ringing as soon as Daenerys forces started squaring off against the Golden company

I'm in amazement how nobody is interested where Arya Stark is. Why didn't they take her and make her a part of the campaign? Even the Hound sees how it's a simple solution, but noooo, Jon/Daenerys and their lackeys on't even pay a thought how the girl WHO KILLED THE NIGHT KING could be of use. Do those people not communicate? It would be funny if Arya ended up fried by Drogon in pure accident, on her way to actually do the same what Dany wanted.

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

When examined closely the whole bell thing makes zero sense. Tyrion should have announced it at the parley to team Cersei. Then, the bells would have to have been manned with soldiers to guard them and to be rang upon an authorized command. 

As it actually happened, Tyrion communicated telepathically somehow with the opposing army (and civilians) and somehow everyone knew to "ring the bells" to announce surrender. 

All that stupidity aside, the forces on the ground and Daenerys are clearly shown to understand the other side surrendered. Then Daenerys goes all cray-kaerys anyway and greyworm follows. 

The bells were just stupid and fittingly enough, they named the episode after them. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Even so.

"I love roses and I hate dandelions but water lilies are stunning" ..... "Peace lilies are poisonous to house-pets so they must be destroyed."

Both refer to lilies but the idea could not be further apart.

So, please...make it make sense. Because as it stands it doesn't and can't logically follow.

Ok? How can I possibly make your Chinese whispers example make sense?

I never said GRRM is responsible for D&Ds incoherent retelling of his tale, only that he is responsible for choosing halfwits to tell an incomplete tale, which means he is somewhat to blame. A better example would have been.

"I love roses and I hate dandelions" ..... "Peace lilies are poisonous to house-pets so they must be destroyed."

Perhaps GRRM should have written

"but water lilies are stunning"

before he handed it over for adaptation. But he didn't. So not only did he whisper to two halfwits and expect them to understand, he only whispered half of the fricken' sentence.

can we make a list of all the things that characters should've talked about with each other but were never shown on screen

Jons resurection/ reason for leaving the Nightswatch never discussed with any of the other starks, Northern lords or Dany apart from Arya asking how he survived a knife to the heart and his reply " I didn't", yeah that was really satisfying and interesting wasn't it.

Aryas faceless men training and ability to become anyone, we only saw Sansa learning about it but we have no clue if Jon or Daenerys even knew let alone discussed it

Varys and Daenerys meeting for the first time, what the hell did they talk about on that long voyage to Dragonstone

Arya, Bran and Sansa sleuthing all of Littlefingers treasons and scheming. I would've liked to see their reaction as they discovered the truth but nah we just got Littlefinger reacting to Bran9000 wikipedia exposing him

Arya and Sansa reaction to Jon Being their cousin and true heir to the Iron throne. D&D actually had the nerve to say that it would be boring because they already did that ?? wtf

Did anyone notice that last episode Jaime heard for the first time that we know of, 100 percent confirmation that Cersei was shagging around behind his back?  which leads me to Jaime returns to Cersei after her walk of shame, everyone in Kingslanding knows the charges. She was shagging Lancel Lannister...no reaction or conversation between Cersei and Jaime about this on screen

Loras Tyrell and Brienne of Tarth never discussing what happened to Renly at Joffreys wedding. The two people that loved him the most never spared a minute to console eachother for even a few minutes, nope D&D just replaced it with an opportunity for Joffrey to be more of an asshole

4 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

Did anyone notice that last episode Jaime heard for the first time that we know of, 100 percent confirmation that Cersei was shagging around behind his back?  which leads me to Jaime returns to Cersei after her walk of shame, everyone in Kingslanding knows the charges. She was shagging Lancel Lannister...no reaction or conversation between Cersei and Jaime about this on screen

Actually I'm fine with this one. Euron could have been lying, and Cersei shagged him after Jaime left her anyways (and Jaime shagged Brienne). And in this situation of life and death it didn't really matter who shagged who.

Archived