Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

6 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

can we make a list of all the things that characters should've talked about with each other but were never shown on screen

Jons resurection/ reason for leaving the Nightswatch never discussed with any of the other starks, Northern lords or Dany apart from Arya asking how he survived a knife to the heart and his reply " I didn't", yeah that was really satisfying and interesting wasn't it.

Aryas faceless men training and ability to become anyone, we only saw Sansa learning about it but we have no clue if Jon or Daenerys even knew let alone discussed it

Varys and Daenerys meeting for the first time, what the hell did they talk about on that long voyage to Dragonstone

Arya, Bran and Sansa sleuthing all of Littlefingers treasons and scheming. I would've liked to see their reaction as they discovered the truth but nah we just got Littlefinger reacting to Bran9000 wikipedia exposing him

Arya and Sansa reaction to Jon Being their cousin and true heir to the Iron throne. D&D actually had the nerve to say that it would be boring because they already did that ?? wtf

Did anyone notice that last episode Jaime heard for the first time that we know of, 100 percent confirmation that Cersei was shagging around behind his back?  which leads me to Jaime returns to Cersei after her walk of shame, everyone in Kingslanding knows the charges. She was shagging Lancel Lannister...no reaction or conversation between Cersei and Jaime about this on screen

There are  so many things they should have talked about....

Jon should have asked about LF. Jon should have asked bran why everybody thought Lyanna was kidnapped and info about his parents to know them. We should know why Jon pushes Danny away despite saying he loves her... 

Danny should have asked Jaime why he killed aerys. 

People should have asked bran how the ww were defeated the first time. 

We should know why Danny thinks Jon can ride a dragon

2 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

Actually I'm fine with this one. Euron could have been lying, and Cersei shagged him after Jaime left her anyways (and Jaime shagged Brienne). And in this situation of life and death it didn't really matter who shagged who.

It was very important because Jaime had remained faithful to Cersei for most of his life, he resigned himself to the idea that She had sex with Robert Baratheon because they were married but there are many occassions when Jaime lamented at the idea he had to listen. There was that whole scene with Tyrion blackmailing Lancel with the threat he would tell Jaime. It all comes down to Jaimes character arc and part of that was his slow realization that Cersei doesn't really love him she just had sex with him to control him as she does with many other men

1 minute ago, darksellsword said:

It was very important because Jaime had remained faithful to Cersei for most of his life, he resigned himself to the idea that She had sex with Robert Baratheon because they were married but there are many occassions when Jaime lamented at the idea he had to listen. There was that whole scene with Tyrion blackmailing Lancel with the threat he would tell Jaime. It all comes down to Jaimes character arc and part of that was his slow realization that Cersei doesn't really love him she just had sex with him to control him as she does with many other men

The show ignored that Jaime would know that Cersei had sex with lancel for some reason... 

I don t think we will ever know... Probably they couldn t take Jaime to where is story is going in winds (to me uncat is sending him to the wall because he choosed the black instead of death) so they igoned it... 

They really went over board with the whole cinematic feel and no one speaking.  I mean, seriously the two forces meet in the streets and no one says 'lay down your arms'  or 'what are your terms' not a fucking word, stares all around and then guy drops his sword and still, no words?  Asinine.   And there must be two dozen if not more examples this season of no dialogue scenes that are equally stupid.

13 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

There should have been a conversation about Lancel several seasons ago (there were no 'many other men' in the show), but by now Jaime's problems with Cersei should lie between 'abandoned all humanity to be doomed' and 'sent a killer after me'. If he can overlook that, then shagging Euron after they split and Jaime was banging Brienne anyway, should be an afterthought at best.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

They really went over board with the whole cinematic feel and no one speaking.  I mean, seriously the two forces meet in the streets and no one says 'lay down your arms'  or 'what are your terms' not a fucking word, stares all around and then guy drops his sword and still, no words?  Asinine.   And there must be two dozen if not more examples this season of no dialogue scenes that are equally stupid.

True that, although still probably less painful than the dialogue D&D would come up with.

4 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

There should have been a conversation about Lancel several seasons ago (there were no 'many other men' in the show), but by now Jaime's problems with Cersei should lie between 'abandoned all humanity to be doomed' and 'sent a killer after me'. If he can overlook that, then shagging Euron after they split and Jaime was banging Brienne anyway, should be an afterthought at best.

True that, although still probably less painful than the dialogue D&D would come up with.

I think it was implied a few times that Lancel wasn't the first guy she seduced bc it fit one of her schemes. She had that whole speech about how if Stannis were any other man she might be able to seduce him but she would have more luck with his horse. I really don't think Jaime having sex with Brienne because they had feelings for eachother would factor into Jaime's mindset when it dawns on him that his whole life was ruined by Cersei manipulating him with sex and the implication that her romantic love for him was a lie.

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

They really did. As a viewer, we're more or less forced to glean out a characters thoughts and impressions by their facial expressions at this point, because for some reasons, the characters in the show more or less stopped talking to each other, especially when it really matters.

And on the rare occasion when they do talk to each other, we end up with... *drumroll* ... cutaways

Writing good dialogue needs some skill and takes time however, so of course D&D avoid it as much as possible at this stage when they clearly just want the project to be over with....

A live-action remake would, I think, be unworkable for similar reasons this one isn't working. One of my main disappointments has been the devaluing of magic in-universe. An animated series could go crazy with the magic, limited only by the imaginations of the storyliners & artists. Production costs (direwolves) and showrunner embarrassment about supernatural elements (wasn't spelled out) are no longer a concern.

I don't give a damn about bittersweetness, badassery, shock reveals, tropes, 'ships, or any of that. All I want is a good story, well told. There's plenty of room between "anvil the viewers over the head till all suspense is gone" and "give them shocking random eyeball kicks without logical explanation, till all suspense is gone." Surely there was enough time and budget to deliver on the series' early promise.

Maybe there's a payoff in what Bran does in the last ep, but there I go, doing that wishful thinking thing, again. Sigh.

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

It's like John Woo started directing at some point and turned it into Mission Impossible: 2

1 hour ago, hewman said:

I wonder what will George have to say about this remake thing (I’m sure it would be “fuck them!” but I mean a more media usable opinion): suport the Ds or throw them under the bus?

I think he already made whatever it was the deal with HBO for the spinoffs. So he won't bash it.

9 hours ago, Demetri said:

Ya know, if Jaime had had a chance to think about it while, I dunno, TRAVELLING, then maybe he makes a different choice. Teleportation doesn't give much time for reflection.

What, are you implying D&D don't have the patience to understand the narrative importance of journeys or something? Cut them some slack, they're brilliant writers considering they never passed the seventh grade!

9 hours ago, Tianzi said:

Can you imagine D&D writing terms of surrender dialogue now?

Lannisters: Stop, we surrender, we know it was Tyrion who sent you.

Jon: I don't want it.

Lannisters: A wise insight from a guy Tyrion, the smartest guy in the world, trusts.

Jon: You are my queen.

Lannisters: Where is Tyrion anyway?

Tyrion: I'm here, mocking Varys's corpse because it has no cock.

Lannisters: HAHAHAHAHA, THAT'S OUR BOY TYRION, WHAT A WITTY GUY!

(Drogon burns everything, Seinfeld music plays)

You know the whole issue around the lack ofproof on Jon's birth really annoys me. I really thought we would get Howland Reed to confirm it as well as a few flashbacks. I mean they have the actors from season 6 and 7. Why not have Jon take Bran's hand and touch a weirwood tree together so we can get Raegar and Lyanna's life together. There is so much material there and it's been totally ignored. I can't be the only one who wanted to see them meet, talk about prophecy, why they never went public with their romance to try to stop the war thathad started.  But much like how we never saw the Bran tell the other Starks about Jon's birth, our wise and self-important showrunners obviously didn'tthink it matters.

2 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

You know the whole issue around the lack ofproof on Jon's birth really annoys me. I really thought we would get Howland Reed to confirm it as well as a few flashbacks. I mean they have the actors from season 6 and 7. Why not have Jon take Bran's hand and touch a weirwood tree together so we can get Raegar and Lyanna's life together. There is so much material there and it's been totally ignored. I can't be the only one who wanted to see them meet, talk about prophecy, why they never went public with their romance to try to stop the war thathad started.  But much like how we never saw the Bran tell the others our wise and self-important showrunners obviously didn'tthink it matters.

That’s because his ID plays no role other than creating another bullet for Dany’s demise. So they don’t invest much on it as there is not much of a continuation to his claim. 

2 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

You know the whole issue around the lack ofproof on Jon's birth really annoys me. I really thought we would get Howland Reed to confirm it as well as a few flashbacks. I mean they have the actors from season 6 and 7. Why not have Jon take Bran's hand and touch a weirwood tree together so we can get Raegar and Lyanna's life together. There is so much material there and it's been totally ignored. I can't be the only one who wanted to see them meet, talk about prophecy, why they never went public with their romance to try to stop the war thathad started.  But much like how we never saw the Bran tell the other Starks about Jon's birth, our wise and self-important showrunners obviously didn'tthink it matters.

Because at this point D&D don't give a crap about telling an interesting story, they only care about special effects and action.

13 hours ago, darksellsword said:

can we make a list of all the things that characters should've talked about with each other but were never shown on screen

Jons resurection/ reason for leaving the Nightswatch never discussed with any of the other starks, Northern lords or Dany apart from Arya asking how he survived a knife to the heart and his reply " I didn't", yeah that was really satisfying and interesting wasn't it.

Aryas faceless men training and ability to become anyone, we only saw Sansa learning about it but we have no clue if Jon or Daenerys even knew let alone discussed it

Varys and Daenerys meeting for the first time, what the hell did they talk about on that long voyage to Dragonstone

Arya, Bran and Sansa sleuthing all of Littlefingers treasons and scheming. I would've liked to see their reaction as they discovered the truth but nah we just got Littlefinger reacting to Bran9000 wikipedia exposing him

Arya and Sansa reaction to Jon Being their cousin and true heir to the Iron throne. D&D actually had the nerve to say that it would be boring because they already did that ?? wtf

Did anyone notice that last episode Jaime heard for the first time that we know of, 100 percent confirmation that Cersei was shagging around behind his back?  which leads me to Jaime returns to Cersei after her walk of shame, everyone in Kingslanding knows the charges. She was shagging Lancel Lannister...no reaction or conversation between Cersei and Jaime about this on screen

Loras Tyrell and Brienne of Tarth never discussing what happened to Renly at Joffreys wedding. The two people that loved him the most never spared a minute to console eachother for even a few minutes, nope D&D just replaced it with an opportunity for Joffrey to be more of an asshole

That's just their code for "we have no idea how to actually write compelling dialogue that shows any type of emotion or depth so we just make it happen off screen because we are gigantic hacks, here's a CGI battle to distract you"

Archived