Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

3 minutes ago, divica said:

I also think this is true. The season is the worst kind of publicity for both the prequels and books I have ever seen.

Any prequel they want to launch will have to regain the fans interest and make them Forget how badly GOT ended. It is a really dificult job for series that will porbably have a big budget and need a big fan base in order to be profitable… I honestly think any prequel has a high risk of being canceled after the first season… 

Ad even grrm will have to make people believe his story will have a better finale or at least don t feel like some depressing tragedy...

I wouldn't mind a depressing ending if it was well written and believably true of the characters.

Unlike what we've seen on the show, which is mostly depressing because the characters ceased to exist before the film ran out.

9 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

I wouldn't mind a depressing ending if it was well written and believably true of the characters.

The problem is that GRRM outrageously lied to his readers/potential readers with the "bittersweet" BS (if his end is similar to the show's end).

3 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

The problem is that GRRM outrageously lied to his readers/potential readers with the "bittersweet" BS (if his end is similar to the show's end).

If the leaks regarding the last episode ends up being right, then I think it's safe to say that GRRM either outright lied or is utterly clueless as to what a "bittersweet" ending means.

To quote Daenerys and Cersei both: Are you a fool or a traitor?

2 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

If the leaks regarding the last episode ends up being right, then I think it's safe to say that GRRM either outright lied or is utterly clueless as to what a "bittersweet" ending means.

To quote Daenerys and Cersei both: Are you a fool or a traitor?

I'm starting to doubt that this is how George will end the books. The truly puzzling thing is D&D never said in the after the video shite that it was a George invention. I'm not saying it definitely wasn't something he was planning but it is odd that they didn't try to validate it by stating that George told them to do it.

The show runners are free to change whatever they want, and they've made that clear from day one.  The only thing we know for sure is that George gave them the major beats and they could use them or ignore them or stomp on them, piss on them and mock him openly for them at their leisure.

31 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

LoL! An other petition: Remove David Benioff and D.B. Weiss from working on any future Star Wars films.

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-remove-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-from-working-on-any-future-star-wars-films

The Disney guys are crazy if they keep them. With all the baggage they bring people will spend more time discussing how bad D&D are and if they ruined GOT than talking about the star wars movie...

It really looks like a bad decision from Disney...

19 hours ago, of little moment said:

I disagree that the "music and visual choices cued the audience to feel" that her actions were necessary. I can't recall every single situation but how they were presented varies definitely. When the Unsullied leave the city after being freed, the music is discomforting and the scene rather threatening. Also when she burns Drogo and Mirri. I am not saying it does foreshadow her recent actions, just that there also were darker tones at times.

Apart from how these scenes were delivered: It's up to the viewers to reflect what happened. Was it (always) necessary/unavoidable to burn people alive? Was it necessary to punish the slavers by using their own cruel methods (crucifixion)? To lock up people in a giant safe so they would starve or run out of air? It was often easy to relate to those decisions because of the wrongs that have been done to Daenerys; and because she mostly had to oppose characters which were easy to dislike. Her freeing slaves and fighting slavers of course made her likeable. But there was often another side to her doing: Jorah hesitated to burn Mirri; Barristan asked her not crucify the masters. She was often ruthless when she didn't get her way or was being opposed and she was merciless against those who deserved punishment in her view. But she also was kind so her other traits could be accepted or (too easily) be overlooked.

Long story short: In my view her portrayal (before Westeros) tended not (always) clearly to one side or another. So i think describing it as "badass" does not do it justice because of Daenerys' ambiguity.

This is not about her character development last episode. That is another issue.

The problem is, Cersei was right there. The Red Keep was right there, waiting to be burnt, and Dany chose to burn the commoners instead. That wasn't like burning or crucifying the slavers, that was like ignoring the slavers and burning the slaves...

Cleganebowl + OP Arya = pandering to the majority of the show's fanbase, most of whom haven't read the books. N.B. I am trying very hard not to come off as a dickhead à la "if you haven't read the books you are no true fan", because I disagree with this statement. And this is just my subjective take on it. But the fact is that a lot of people are especially enjoying the later seasons because it gives them SuRpriSe eLemEnTs and TwiStS and OmG sLaaaY moments so they can upload 3 sec gifs with quotes "Me when I [insert daily chore]". 

I must admit that after seeing all the "Arya kills NK" reaction videos, my dislike for her character grew even more. And after watching the Inside the episode videos and D&D's moronic explanations, I despise her. I probably started disliking Arya in season 7, especially when she met Hot Pie again. That scene just... you know, it rang my bells. It was so obvious that she was going to be "MF BADA$$". 

I never understood the Cleganebowl hype. Why? The two were never main characters, neither in the books nor in the show. Like what, is it just FUCKIN AWESOME to see 2 jacked and meaty ogres go mano a mano til death to them apart? Go watch wrestling. But no, thanks D&D for focusing on this completely pointless battle.

I'm still recovering mentally from the complete slaughter of Jon and Daenerys' character developments (and every other main character pretty much). I try to avoid leaks and spoilers, but I have caught a sneaky peek of on some, and I wish I never had. Or do I? I don't know. I have no idea how this will end. Guess that's what D&D wanted.

My favourite part of The Bells was Daenerys, especially her in dishevelled state talking to Tyrion and pre-massacre facial expressions. Favourite in the sense that these were the only scenes that affected me in some way, leaving me with an immense feeling of melancholy, sadness, and regret. 

5 hours ago, darksellsword said:

I'm starting to doubt that this is how George will end the books. The truly puzzling thing is D&D never said in the after the video shite that it was a George invention. I'm not saying it definitely wasn't something he was planning but it is odd that they didn't try to validate it by stating that George told them to do it.

Look at it this way.

- In the show Sansa marries Ramsey. In the book its a fake Arya. Its the same plot but would be ridiculous to happen in the books. 

- We know Jon going to Hardhome, Brienne vs The Hound, Theon going to Mereen, Beric alive and heading North, The Night King, Mance Rayder actually being burnt etc are all show inventions. We can assume the majority of S7 and 8 is D & D's own writing bar the major plot points.

- Stannis obviously doesn't burn Shireen before Winterfell because George said he hadn't even wrote that chapter at the time of screening and we know he has already finished the Battle of Ice. For book Stannis to do that there will have to be a huge build up and an almost apocalyptic end of the world scenario where he is forced to do it. We know it will be way into TWOW and possibly the next book.

- We don't know what happens after Cersei's trial but what if she just replaced Aegon on the show and that's who Dany fights at King\s landing.

You could make a bullet point list of the two final seasons and it will match up to the books but with the wrong characters. To me thats a completely different story. 

4 hours ago, venusboy said:

I must admit that after seeing all the "Arya kills NK" reaction videos, my dislike for her character grew even more. And after watching the Inside the episode videos and D&D's moronic explanations, I despise her. I probably started disliking Arya in season 7, especially when she met Hot Pie again. That scene just... you know, it rang my bells. It was so obvious that she was going to be "MF BADA$$". 

I feel the same about Arya, she is far too fetched as a character as the show runners provide her with "plot armor" constantly to elevate her character at the point it becomes nervous-wrecking and actually backlashes at the character. She is not convincing and  she should be dead by the Waif. 

Who said this is not Disney after all?

And after she returned from Bravos she is walking around with that grand air of superiority and know it all style totally contrary for a stealth-type character who usually wants to remain unseen and undetected.

"I am here to kill the Queen" ok...congratulations. Make that a public announcement so nobody misses it. 

Are we supposed to sympathize with her - I don't know for what?- and worry when the roof falls on her head for the 15th time in a row? 

She can't die either way so why should we care? 

I wonder if something similar happened to Lost? Where the final series was just a shitstorm that left almost everyone unhappy and cringing at how bad it ended? I enjoyed Lost’s 1st series, the 2nd I thought was “meh”, and ?I couldn’t bring myself to watch past the first few eps of s3. Also, unlike w/ GoT, I had zero previous investment in Lost. But I am curious now. 

I remember reading an interview w/ Damon Lindelof during or after GoT s5 where he was gleefully gloating at the backlash David and Dan got for the Sansa Poole stupidity, and he also mentioned that Martin had said he didn’t like the final series of Lost... 

The whole mess is actually hilarious. And sad. Maybe that’s the bittersweet? 

4 hours ago, venusboy said:

Cleganebowl + OP Arya = pandering to the majority of the show's fanbase, most of whom haven't read the books. N.B. I am trying very hard not to come off as a dickhead à la "if you haven't read the books you are no true fan", because I disagree with this statement. And this is just my subjective take on it. But the fact is that a lot of people are especially enjoying the later seasons because it gives them SuRpriSe eLemEnTs and TwiStS and OmG sLaaaY moments so they can upload 3 sec gifs with quotes "Me when I [insert daily chore]". 

A lot of people started watching this show because of its huge popularity. They became interested because they heard from the internet how "shocking" and "unpredictable" it is, and how there's badass dragons. So they got into it for the shock value basically, and expect that too. 

And yes, they turned Arya into a onedimensional character. I've been bothered with her since that RIDICULOUS Terminator chase scene with the Waif, and after she went back to Winterfell she's been insufferable.

14 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I wonder if something similar happened to Lost? Where the final series was just a shitstorm that left almost everyone unhappy and cringing at how bad it ended? I enjoyed Lost’s 1st series, the 2nd I thought was “meh”, and ?I couldn’t bring myself to watch past the first few eps of s3. Also, unlike w/ GoT, I had zero previous investment in Lost. But I am curious now. 

I remember reading an interview w/ Damon Lindelof during or after GoT s5 where he was gleefully gloating at the backlash David and Dan got for the Sansa Poole stupidity, and he also mentioned that Martin had said he didn’t like the final series of Lost... 

Yes the first season of Lost is amazing

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think LOST mostly left people feeling like " just this? And what about the million questions we still have?"

It didn t make you feel like things were ilogical or that the characters arcs were meaningless… Characters were consistent… This is much worse than LOST. I would bet that in the upcoming months GOT will lose most of its status. And then other fantasy shows airing this or next year will try fill its place...

I don t even have any idea what they will do with their remaining merchandise… How grrm will give interviews without being tormented by this season of the show… I bet someone will use his words criticizing lost agains his show...

Archived