Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

Lost lost the plot, but the characters remained mostly consistent, the Lost ending was disappointing for not resolving enough mysteries, but it was emotionally satisfying for the characters.

GOT is much worse in that the mysteries weren’t answered either, and the characters were bizarre and none of them had satisfying resolutions to their arc. It’s goes way beyond disappointing, it’s a complete abomination.

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I wonder if something similar happened to Lost? Where the final series was just a shitstorm that left almost everyone unhappy and cringing at how bad it ended? I enjoyed Lost’s 1st series, the 2nd I thought was “meh”, and ?I couldn’t bring myself to watch past the first few eps of s3. Also, unlike w/ GoT, I had zero previous investment in Lost. But I am curious now. 

I remember reading an interview w/ Damon Lindelof during or after GoT s5 where he was gleefully gloating at the backlash David and Dan got for the Sansa Poole stupidity, and he also mentioned that Martin had said he didn’t like the final series of Lost... 

The whole mess is actually hilarious. And sad. Maybe that’s the bittersweet? 

Lost, for me, started veering into stupidity midway through Season 1, and became all-but-unwatchable shortly thereafter. Damon Lindelof is in nooo position to gloat.

Oh, gods, Jaime! How much more did Cersei need to do to prove her utter faithlessness to him? Heck, she tried it on with Eddard Stark to try to keep him quiet about her children's parentage. If show!Jaime didn't pick up on it, he wasn't paying attention™.

18 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:

[snip]

The thing is, any other show runners taking on a property like GoT would be capable of seeing and using the supernatural elements and the magic inherent in the story.  They flat out stated they didn't like magic or supernatural elements, and did their best to eliminate them whenever possible.  I'm honestly surprised they even bothered having a threat from the north.  They should have just gutted the thing from the beginning and had it all be about the squabbling over the throne.  Then we wouldn't have had to waste our time watching it without knowing it wasn't going to actually be about the existential threat and those of us that liked the idea of the world needing to pull together in order to face off against what could be humanities extinction could move on to something else.

Holy run-on sentence, Batman!  Sorry about that.  We lost one of our dogs last night so my mind is a bit scattered this morning.

I didn't quote your whole post, but word!! to all of it. I concede that a live-action adaptation *could* retain its magic & mystery in the hands of less wilful showrunners. However, any remake will be up against it, even if it gets off the starting blocks, for the reasons @MinscS2 and others have stated. OT: condolences on the death of your beloved dog.

Also, everything @venusboy said.

12 hours ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Well this explains everything.  And I was wondering what the title was referring to (sorry, but I didn't know where to put this):

This is awesome!
Dany is awesome!
YOU GO DRAGON QUEEN!

23 hours ago, divica said:

The Disney guys are crazy if they keep them. With all the baggage they bring people will spend more time discussing how bad D&D are and if they ruined GOT than talking about the star wars movie...

It really looks like a bad decision from Disney...

Also let's not pretend that the Star Wars franchise is in good condition either.

8 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Also let's not pretend that the Star Wars franchise is in good condition either.

Indeed. SW is the original "best franchise to be utterly destroyed by incompetent writers given too much power in a single blow". It will never recover and I have doubts that D&D will be allowed near it after this season.

4 hours ago, Vanadis said:

This is awesome!
Dany is awesome!
YOU GO DRAGON QUEEN!

Right? Sweet vengeance for the betrayed <3

Has this really not been posted here yet?  I prob missed it somewhere else but short and worth seeing NOW DAMMIT!

http://<blockquote class="reddit-card" data-card-created="1558213166"><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bq3rtr/emilia_strikes_again/">Emilia strikes again!</a> from <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk">r/freefolk</a></blockquote> <script async src="//embed.redditmedia.com/widgets/platform.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bq3rtr/emilia_strikes_again/?utm_source=share&amp;utm_medium=web2x

EDIT: Fucking not working to embed or get the vid clip correctly so left link

Basically a 25 second clip where interviewer asks Emilia how she felt after reading the finale script.  She replied that she only felt one thing, then fake barfed. 

21 hours ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Well this explains everything.  And I was wondering what the title was referring to (sorry, but I didn't know where to put this):

There's another with Hells Bells by AC DC.

It's chilling how well the lyrics of each song fit the action.

On 5/17/2019 at 10:03 AM, Nowy Tends said:

LoL! An other petition: Remove David Benioff and D.B. Weiss from working on any future Star Wars films.

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-remove-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-from-working-on-any-future-star-wars-films

These petitions are a waste of time.  Better off boycotting anything Benioff and Weiss ever put their names to. 

20 minutes ago, Eve said:

These petitions are a waste of time.  Better off boycotting anything Benioff and Weiss ever put their names to. 

I don't think it's a waste of time. No one expects season 8 to be actually remade or for Disney to fire the hacks. The message is what matters, and the message needs to reach HBO and Disney.

On 5/17/2019 at 12:37 PM, divica said:

The Disney guys are crazy if they keep them. With all the baggage they bring people will spend more time discussing how bad D&D are and if they ruined GOT than talking about the star wars movie...

It really looks like a bad decision from Disney...

D&D were simply shackled by the unimaginative limitations of GRRM’s universe. Just imagine how much better they could write a character like Arya if she had the powers of the force? Her assassination of the Night King, for example, wouldn’t have drawn nearly as much scrutiny..

1 hour ago, Eve said:

Time? It take 2 seconds to sign in… You must be a very special person if you can't take 2 seconds to send a message to the assholes who managed to ruin one of the few television productions that made sense. :rolleyes:

Archived