Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

Holy shit I just realized waching the preview for the last episode that the Unsullied MULTIPLIED THEMSELVES! When it shows Dany's back when she's walking between them, there are hundreds if not thousands of Unsullied.

LMAO

Alt Shift X review is finally up, worth a watch.

He pretty agrees with much that has been said in this (and other) topic already; Jon would probably make for a bad king and Varys moving against Daenerys so suddenly and before she actually snapped makes no sense, etc.

He makes a good case about Daenerys (and Targaryens in general) dealing with extreme losses and grief in fire and blood, and how the biggest threat to humanity is... humans themselves - but that ultimately, Daenerys being "angry or not, murdering hundred of thousands of innocents, goes against one of the foundations of Daenerys' character. If this happens in the books we might see a more gradual progression into this violence, so we can better understand why she does it."

He concludes that:
"Overall, this is a very dark episode. Hundreds of thousands are killed by the woman we thought was a hero. Jamie fails to become a better man and dies with his hateful sister. All of Jon's heroism, Varys' scheming and Tyrion's supposed intelligence did nothing to prevent this disaster. Is Game of Thrones really this bleak and nihilistic? 

Thrones-author GRRM says "his worldview is anything but nihilistic". Thrones is full of death and darkness, but the darkness is there to better show the light of human struggles against the darkness: "Men's lives have meaning, not their deaths". And yet this episode has little but death.  There's a sense of inevitability. Varys talks about Targaryen madness as though Daenerys was destined to repeat her fathers sins. Jamie just accepts that he can never be better than the hateful man he was. The Hound basically commits suicide by Mountain. It is as though all of these characters hopes and growth were for nothing. The dream of a better world, is ash. So what was the point of this story if it just ends with failure and death. The Thrones-books always have some sense of meaning against the darkness. Their ending will be bittersweet, not just bitter. If Thrones is to be true to it's source material and is to rise above empty nihilism, it needs to show some hope in the series' finale next week."

I genuinely couldn't agree more with the man.

Drogon: Mama, about this heel turn and mass murder of innocents and whatnot ...

Dany: Yes?

Drogon: I'm a little worried about Euron's invincible ballistae. Won't that mess up our plans? Not to mention killing me.

Dany: See if you can borrow some plot armour. The reason your brothers got killed is that they went out with no plot armour. I warned them a hundred times.

Drogon: OK.

Arya: Arya Stark here.

Drogon: Hi, Arya! This is Drogon. You wouldn't happen to have any plot armour lying around, would you?

Arya: Sure, I've got loads. Take as much as you like.

Drogon: Thanks a million!

(This doubly explains Arya's survival. Probably explains the horse as well. Drogon spared it so she'd have a horse to head home with.)(*)

(*)My dirty secret is that I liked the horse. It didn't make much sense; but what does? At least it was cute.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:46 PM, Ser Lepus said:

The problem is, Cersei was right there. The Red Keep was right there, waiting to be burnt, and Dany chose to burn the commoners instead. That wasn't like burning or crucifying the slavers, that was like ignoring the slavers and burning the slaves...

This might be an misunderstanding. I am aware that her recent actions are different than before. But as stated in my post which you quoted: Her development in "The bells" was not the issue i was mainly talking about - i referred to a statement about her past actions. In case of doubt please have a second look.

On 5/18/2019 at 1:50 AM, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Well this explains everything.  And I was wondering what the title was referring to (sorry, but I didn't know where to put this):

Another good soundtrack for this clip is Katy Perry's "Firework" :laugh:

Archived