Boskone party

Yagathai

Heh. Nothing like getting thrown headfirst into the deep end, is there, Yags? Step one - Panic. Panicking is always a viable option. Unless the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is being followed. In which case, as long as you have your towel, you are FINE.

Oh, and by the way, (I know I will regret this), keep me in mind for help also. I have no experience planning for parties, so I probably suck on the initial stages. I would probably be best used as a getting something executed guy once I am told what to do.

Relax...with ample booze, the minor details will be lost in the haze. :P

Count me in as a volunteer, provided I'm there--I'm about 90% sure I will be.

Someone remind me closer to the 16th, and I'll be sure to steal supplies from work--pour spouts, bottle openers (though it's cool being "that guy over there has one, I think" guy) maybe some juice containers, etc...

Does anyone have a couple small speakers like we had last year? And will the same people who remind me to steal shit remind me to make a party playlist on my mp3 player.

Trash bags, trash cans and ice...I'm assuming we can steal these from the hotel, per usual.

Food--anyone have ideas? Complicated and messy=Bad, veggie trays=good.

Should we decorate? (I vote no-to-minimal) Are we having a raffle? Selling shirts? Anything else we could sell to raise money for the BWB? (flashy things and the like)

I'm not sure what I have for extra funds this year, but I can check out Chinatown and see their prices on blinking crap. Do we have BWB funds for the party, Stego?

No. We have no funds. LA Con was not profitable.

I am footing the bill for the room out of my own pocket. I will also throw in some cash for the booze, but I hope that others will help with that.

Raffle? I can donate some stuff to raffle. George and Parris may donate something, they have in the past. But there is also an auction for the John M. Ford library endowment, and that has to be more important.

This isn't going to be a huge deal, I imagine. Maybe something like 2 years ago as opposed to last year. I honestly was overwhelmed with the work at LA, and it led to me not enjoying those parties.

The room is a smallish suite, Yags.

No. We have no funds. LA Con was not profitable.

I am footing the bill for the room out of my own pocket. I will also throw in some cash for the booze, but I hope that others will help with that.

This isn't going to be a huge deal, I imagine. Maybe something like 2 years ago as opposed to last year. I honestly was overwhelmed with the work at LA, and it led to me not enjoying those parties.

The room is a smallish suite, Yags.

Agreed with all the above. I'm happy to contribute to booze/food purchases, and also to the room, but I'm hoping this year's Boskone will be relatively low-key.

I am OK with low-key. Minor decorations, of course. Booze is mandatory. We don't have to go whole-hog with the food as we've done in the past, but I think I'd like to see a little more than crudite, you know?

I'll come up with a list and a budget and see what we can do.

IMHO, as long as we have a space to meet, plenty of drinks, and maybe a few munchies, then we're all set. Decorations, raffles, t-shirts, etc. are all fun, but hardly manditory.* Low key is good! Take LA for example--my favorite night was Thursday, when a bunch of us just sat around on the roof hanging out...

BTW, we're more than happy to donate a few dollars to help defray the cost of the room, Stego. And as long as we're told what to bring, we could provide some booze and/or non-perishable snacks as well.

*Disclaimer: vibrating swords and/or furries, are, however, hopefully included. ;)

But isn't it easier if we just throw money, Stego? :P

Of course I'm hardly going to complain if there is a raffle, especially after my incredible good luck last year. *clutches signed copy of Fahrenheit 451* ;)

I can buy cheap booze as well as better stuff. There's a decently priced warehouse nearby.

Actually I'll just buy all the booze for the party. Don't worry about money, I'll just pay for it all myself.

I'm also going to donate most of my Martin collection for the raffle.

Right. So I'm going to need volunteers. Lots of volunteers.

If you're doing any of the preparation/set-up on Thursday evening, I can help out, since I live in the area. I don't know about after that. I'll definitely come to the party, but some friends of mine might be attending Boskone as their first sf con, so I don't know how helpful I can promise to be during the con.

I'm still only 90%, but assuming the odds stay in favor of me going, you can count on me for beer/liquor lifting and transporting, ice gathering, beer restock, bugging hotel staff for trash bags, and staying just sober enough for cleanup...all the usuals.

But I'm no good for decorating.

Archived