Boskone party

Yagathai

Can anyone help out with decorations?

What kind of decorations are we aiming for? Do we have a theme, or at least a color scheme we'd like to run with (maybe just black and purple, with some silver touches, for the BWB)?

In any case, I do have access to some outlet stores (read:cheap) that sell party supplies, and others that sell fabrics. Forgive me if this sounds cheesy, but I could get things like balloons, and hopefully some fabric to drape over the bed, sofa, etc.

I'm assuming no one expects a repeat of the fabulous decor at Worldcon, what with Odie's banners and Jamie Sims art, etc. 'Cause that would be way out of my league, anyway. :P

Nah, nothing that extravagant. I don't think we need anything over-the-moon. Some coloured lightbulbs and some fabric to drape over furniture will really go a long way. Maybe some extra cushions would be fun too.

Where is the money for this coming from?

This isn't a Worldcon, it's a small party is a small suite. I do not want to pay for everything and then have the money raised go to fabric.

Where is the money for this coming from?

This isn't a Worldcon, it's a small party is a small suite. I do not want to pay for everything and then have the money raised go to fabric.

I was actually volunteering to pick up some stuff on my dime. Like I said, we have access to a lot of outlet stores. I thought I'd dig thru some clearance bins and see what, if anything, I could find. I certainly wasn't going to ask for cash to help cover decorations--I realize the room and booze gotta be a priority for that!

(BTW, if we wanted a color scheme that involved a lot of black, I should be able to borrow a bunch of fabric from a friend of mine. She always drapes every square inch of her house in black for her yearly Halloween bash.)

Anyway, just some suggestions!

ETA: Do we have a BWB banner, or even just a poster with the BWB logo on it? I assume we'd want something like that to put by the door, even if we don't do any other decorating.

Well, this is the main thing - Are we having a party to show people what the BwB is like? Or are we having a party *for* the BwB and if other people happen to show up, great?

I was thinking the latter, in which case I don't give a damn what it looks like as long as it's comfortable and fun. If people really want a 'theme' and can get stuff for free/cheap, fine, but I personally wouldn't put it as a high priority. Less to set up, less to clean up, and more money to go towards booze / food, which is often what we're really remembered for anyway. (LA being an exception to this, but our parties are written up as 'great' even with just minimal decoration as well - BranTheBuilder's Gingerbread Wall was noted in Glasgow, but the fabulous art? Not so much.)

Oops, posted before I finished my thought. I'm not sure who has the banner at the moment, but if it's not someone local I wouldn't count on having it in time. Neither am I sure whether we have any 'general' posters, nor whose permission we would need to reprint any of the earlier ones. I think we should follow George's example in his Not A Blog, though: put instructions up somewhere on where to go and what to do. Anyone who doesn't follow them doesn't get in. :P

Agreed with Aoife - unless I'm totally mistaken, the idea is to be having the party mostly for us (and whoever meanders by), as opposed to a bash like LA or even last year's Boskone. I mean, a couple of colored lightbulbs or a string of uber-discount Xmas lights are pretty much all we need. I'd rather just focus on the essentials: booze, soda, beer, cups, napkins, snacks.

Certainly not, if people are willing to donate them above and beyond the standard 20 bucks towards alcohol//food/maid tip/ice/etc. And also, not out of the raffle, which goes to help defer the cost of the room.

Er, well, I sort of assumed that when you said: I can buy cheap booze as well as better stuff. There's a decently priced warehouse nearby., that meant that you were going to pick the stuff up.

If you need a shopping list and so on, I can provide. By now, though, we've got a pretty good idea of what people will drink (that horrible cheap vodka for the now-inevitable punch, plus some nicer stuff for those of us with taste). And several people have said they'd be willing to kick in the necessary lucre, so it sounds like we've got things covered on the booze front?

I'm paying for the room. (And hopefully not all of that, depending upon how the raffle does, and what is left over from the booze cash.)

I offered to SHOP for the booze seeing as I'm local. I will even FRONT the cash, but I am not paying for it.

I went shopping for last years Boskone, and I've carried the booze fro enough cons to know what is needed.

I fully expect everyone to kick in cash like they did last year. If someone can;t afford it, I mean absolutely can not afford it, well then fine. We can manage. But I am not going to put on an entire con party weekend out of my pocket. My pockets just aren't that deep.

And I think it's offensive to ask me to do it.

Man, re-read my post and cool your jets. Nobody's saying you should have to pay for the whole enchilada.

To reiterate: I'm sure everyone will kick in. Plenty of people have said they would so far. Nobody's suggesting you should pay for the stuff all by your lonesome.

So... we're all copacetic, right?

Archived