Boskone party

Yagathai

SPOILER: ADWD
That description would fit in with the spoilers from the Jon II reading. The groups attacking Deepwood most likely are Stannis's main army, the wildling van, and a potential northern mountain clan, either the Norrey or the Locke. Quoting from the Jon II spoiler: "Stannis asks if they would support him. Jon responds that one group definitely would if he attacked the ironborn, and the Norreys whose lands Stannis must pass through would leave him alone."

EDIT: This is what Regina said above: "What Les told you sounds right. IIRC, Asha was at Lord/Lady Glover's castle (it that Deepwood Motte? I'm too tired too recall atm.) As her group flees the about-to-be-beseiged castle, they get attacked in the woods. A really cool fight scene follows. At the end, the fight is still on-going, and it seems that a third group has joined the fighting."

I hope you don't mind Regina, but I grabbed it before you edited it.

SPOILER: ADwD
A third group ... I wonder if the ones attacking Deepwood Motte are actually the Bastard of Bolton's forces, and the third group joining the fight is Stannis?

Anyone at the reading recall any references to, say, heraldry of the various combatants? And is there any reference to Dagmer Cleftjaw?

That description would fit in with the spoilers from the Jon II reading. The groups attacking Deepwood most likely are Stannis's main army, the wildling van, and a potential northern mountain clan, either the Norrey or the Locke. Quoting from the Jon II spoiler: "Stannis asks if they would support him. Jon responds that one group definitely would if he attacked the ironborn, and the Norreys whose lands Stannis must pass through would leave him alone."

EDIT: This is what Regina said above: "What Les told you sounds right. IIRC, Asha was at Lord/Lady Glover's castle (it that Deepwood Motte? I'm too tired too recall atm.) As her group flees the about-to-be-beseiged castle, they get attacked in the woods. A really cool fight scene follows. At the end, the fight is still on-going, and it seems that a third group has joined the fighting."

I hope you don't mind Regina, but I grabbed it before you edited it.

I don't mind at all! In fact, thank you for fixing it for me!

Ran,

At the very end of the chapter, as the fighting continues, Asha receives a blow to the head. The last line had something to do with her "dreaming" of flames and antlers. Sadly, I can't recall the exact wording, but it seemed imho to imply that the third group included Stannis' forces. There are also references to trumpets blowing, which confuses Asha as the Northmen don't tend to blow trumpets. Of course, she doesn't have the chance to investigate this. Perhaps the trumpets were actually horns, as in wildling horns? Or would Stannis be using trumpets?

I am trying to type up a longer, more coherent summary atm. I hope to post it today in the ADWD forum.

Thanks, Regina. :)

In the battle of the Green Fork, a contrast does seem to be made between the Northern host making use of horns and the Lannister forces using trumpets. When Stannis attacks the wildlings, the contrast is made again that the wildlings only use horns while Stannis's forces were using trumpets.

So I think you're right, if she heard trumpets, it must mean that Stannis's forces are the third group in the fight. This sets up an alliance between Asha and Stannis, I think.

Very cool.

So now there's the question of where this fits into a timeline of events. Given details from AFfC, I'd suppose this would have to happen at least a couple of months after Cersei's fifth chapter, where we learn that the Boltons were closing on Moat Cailin to force a way through and that once they did that they'd move to sweep the ironborn out of Torrhen's Square and Deepwood Motte. If that's the case, it would then seem to fit roughly around the end of AFfC, or perhaps even several weeks afterwards. Very interesting indeed.

Any other interesting remarks from GRRM, at the Q&A or elsewhere?

I would speculate that the Asha chapter chronologically takes place slightly after The Reaver chapter in AFFC. On the map, Deepwood Motte and the Shield Islands are roughly the same distance from the Iron Islands, so it is safe to assume that while Victarion and Euron were taking the Shield Islands, Asha was arriving back at Deepwood. Was there any mention of how long Asha was at Deepwood before the attack began?

Btw, did this chapter have 'Asha' as its title, or a descriptive, like for example "The Deepwood Kraken" or "The Beached Kraken"?

So now there's the question of where this fits into a timeline of events. Given details from AFfC, I'd suppose this would have to happen at least a couple of months after Cersei's fifth chapter, where we learn that the Boltons were closing on Moat Cailin to force a way through and that once they did that they'd move to sweep the ironborn out of Torrhen's Square and Deepwood Motte. If that's the case, it would then seem to fit roughly around the end of AFfC, or perhaps even several weeks afterwards. Very interesting indeed.

As to the timing, I'm under the impression that the ironborn had already lost Torrhen's Square, and that Asha knew she would not be able to get through Moat Cailin. In fact, she doesn't seem to have a lot of options--at least not viable ones. I think George said that he could have included this chapter late in Feast, but now it would be late in ADWD.

Btw, did this chapter have 'Asha' as its title, or a descriptive, like for example "The Deepwood Kraken" or "The Beached Kraken"?

It was a descriptive title. It was something like The Wayward Bride, which has to do with the fact that Euron held a wedding where he wed Asha to old Erik Anvilbreaker. Word has it that the ceremony had a seal stand in as a proxy for Asha. ;) The early part of the chapter dealt with her interesting new marital status, as well as her relationship with Quarl the Maid, with a dash of Tris Botley playing the mooncalf again.

A seal? So funny. Just yesterday we were accusing a fellow playing an ironborn warrior of molesting seals.

I assume her relationship with Qarl the Maid is not a wholesome one, eh? ;) Very cool

A seal? So funny. Just yesterday we were accusing a fellow playing an ironborn warrior of molesting seals.

I assume her relationship with Qarl the Maid is not a wholesome one, eh? ;) Very cool

Yes, I'm sure he said a seal. It was very funny.

And you assume very correctly about her relationship with Qarl the Maid. There is a very juicy scene between them. They have been in a relationship for some time, I think he said 6 years.

BTW, I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to post a new thread in the ADWD forum. What's the etiquette here? Even with spoiler tags, I hesitate to put it in the other book forums...

For what it's worth, I asked George your question on the Friday night, Ran. He said that at this point it's up to the writers to develop and deliver a great script, and even after that it may just get to the pilot and HBO can still say no. We can just keep being supportive, but there's not really a write-in campaign or anything that we can do to help directly.

Looks like Ran just created a new thread for you Regina in the ADWD forum. (towards the bottom) ;)

Okay, I posted my notes, such as they are. Just remember, I'm a reader, not a writer! :P

(Also, anyone else who heard the reading, please point out any errors I may have made!)

My plea for help to anyone who went to the reading:

PLEASE go to the Asha thread in the ADWD forum and add your two cents! It was a long chapter with a lot going on, and I don't remember the answers to half the questions being asked!

:bow: <--- I will bow down with thanks!

Archived