Protagonist suddenly goes crazy in last chapter of epic

Hodor's Dragon

9 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

The twist is supposed to happen in the last episode not this one. 

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. There was nothing surprising to how she turns out to viewers who have some experience of literature about them.

By the way, I'm still speculating that the twist will centre of Bran. I don't think anything that Jon or Dany does or happens to them will be particularly shocking.

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. There was nothing surprising to how she turns out to viewers who have some experience of literature about them.

By the way, I'm still speculating that the twist will centre of Bran. I don't think anything that Jon or Dany does or happens to them will be particularly shocking.

Why Bran? They don't care about him.

This is surprising; considering that they have been doing such a terrible job with character development

8 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

This is surprising; considering that they have been doing such a terrible job with character development

Honestly, the only characters they appear to have really liked are Arya, Tyrion, Cersei, and Tywin. 

2 hours ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

What a cheap, juvenile Fiction-Writing 101 trick that was to pull at the end of an epic story.

Nothing in this story set that up. Yeah, Daenerys doled out harsh punishment--from our perspective--a handful of times. But she always did it for a reason--a good reason, in fact. Every time...

Like when she burned the Tarly's alive for show? :/

21 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

There was nothing surprising to how she turns out to viewers who have some experience of literature about them.

This is such a lazy argument that it’s worth nothing but ridicule.

2 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Like when she burned the Tarly's alive for show? :/

She burned them alive after they betrayed their liege and her ally. Furthermore, followed by them refusing to either bend the knee or accept the Wall. 

3 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Tyrion?

They did a pretty bad job writing a character that they like so much.

They have made him one of the purest characters on the show. Really besides Jon and Ned, no one else compares to him. 

3 minutes ago, Minsc said:

She burned them alive after they betrayed their liege and her ally. Furthermore, followed by them refusing to either bend the knee or accept the Wall. 

They have made him one of the purest characters on the show. Really besides Jon and Ned, no one else compares to him. 

Irony alert! You support Daeny for her decision with the Tarly's then in the next breath call Tyrion one of the "purest" characters on the chow. Tyrion was the one begging Daeny to not burn them both! Then Tyrion chastised her afterwards and she felt zero remorse. (This is where Varys also began to have doubts about her as the best ruler for Westeros.)

7 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Irony alert! You support Daeny for her decision with the Tarly's then in the next breath call Tyrion one of the "purest" characters on the chow. Tyrion was the one begging Daeny to not burn them both! Then Tyrion chastised her afterwards and she felt zero remorse. (This is where Varys also began to have doubts about her as the best ruler for Westeros.)

What makes that ironic?  My support of an action that Tyrion disapproves of doesn't make him less pure. If anything the fact that Tyrion is more merciful than I am hints to his greater purity. 

18 minutes ago, Minsc said:

What makes that ironic?  My support of an action that Tyrion disapproves of doesn't make him less pure. If anything the fact that Tyrion is more merciful than I am hints to his greater purity. 

Not ironic in relation to Tyrion being "pure," as you put it. However, it is ironic in relation to your original argument that Daeny had good reason "every time" she went all medieval on somebody's ass and "nothing" in the show set up this behavior of hers in burning KL in S8E5.

Tyrion's reaction to her burning of the Tarly's was a major hint that Daeny was/is capable of what she did to KL. You helped me make my point by aggrandizing Tyrion's morality in the way that you did--thus contradicting yourself. Hence the "irony alert." Just sayin'. 

47 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Oh I agree they've done a rubbish job with him. I think the conclusion will be rubbish too, but it will focus on Bran anyway.

1 hour ago, draft0 said:

The last few seasons of the show have been obviously rushed and basically reduced every character to a couple of bullet points, including Dany, so I agree with you about that. But go back and read the last chapter of A Dance with Dragons; it's clear she is turning down a dark path. People were writing essays about this back in 2013.

No for sure, I did intend to add that if it did go down that route then it shouldn't have been rushed. I didn't once expect a fairy tale ending where Dany just sat on the IT and it ended sweetly, it just doesn't happen on this show. My problem is the way in which these incidents occurred and how she finally learnt how to utilise her dragon and burn the Iron Fleet as well as all of Qyburn's defence. Once they were gone and the GC it was done and that's when they surrendered in front of the Red Keep.

What doesn't make sense is her burning the place she wishes to rule before she actually rules. It would have made more sense if she were to go down the burning route to burn down people for not accepting her once she became Queen or something of that sort.

Just feel lazy and rushed to me.

I do agree that there were definitely signs of whispering, it probably does foreshadow a step closer towards madness rather than a voice to remind her of who she is at all costs. Which could well be madness or that it's not easy to take the Iron Throne and she must never forget who she is - that being mad or just determined is open to interpretation. GRRM will probably expand on it but I just think it's too easy to be the Mad King's, Mad Queen daughter without real depth - the book can justify it clearly later on but the show just skipped a lot.

4 hours ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

Nothing in this story set that up.

There was su much foreshadowing to the Queen of Ashes. I you haven't realised that, it's your fault, not GRRM's or DD's. Get a grip. This was always a possibility and it never was unlikely. I bet on this years ago. It was discussed over and over. 

Daenerys to be Queen made more or less so sense at all.

Stop moaning just because you don't like the storyline. It's GRRM's story and the turn of events is certainly his. 

"Suddenly". LOL.

I really don't understand how people did not see it coming. Dany was always going to be the mad queen. Always. In the books and in the show.

While it is probably true that D&D should have started with implementing more of "Dany the Mad" earlier (well, they did but apparently it was not obvious enough for most viewers), in the S8 they gave her tons of reasons to become mad.

4 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

By the way, I'm still speculating that the twist will centre of Bran. 

So you still think that D&D developed a character during 7 seasons to bring him now to a coherent finale? You think that Bran was developed as the incarnation of pure magic, of incredibly supernatural power? You were absolutely sure he would play an important role in episode 3? As main antagonist against the NK? And you were not disappointed when Bran did - - - exactly nothing? Apart from producing 2 or 3 nice lines to Theron?

Well, then you can still dream of Superbran.

When I watched ep. 3, I saw them killing Bran. 

2 minutes ago, Torienne said:

So you still think that D&D developed a character during 7 seasons to bring him now to a coherent finale? You think that Bran was developed as the incarnation of pure magic, of incredibly supernatural power? You were absolutely sure he would play an important role in episode 3? As main antagonist against the NK? And you were not disappointed when Bran did - - - exactly nothing? Apart from producing 2 or 3 nice lines to Theron?

Well, then you can still dream of Superbran.

When I watched ep. 3, I saw them killing Bran. 

I'm under no delusions that D&D write coherent narratives or characters. What they do is pull WTF moments out of a hat. There's simply nothing left for Dany, Jon or Tyrion to do that would make you go WTF!! The only major characters who might pull it off are the Stark siblings. Arya's had her moment, Sansa just stands there being sensible, so by a process of elimination I'm going for the weird treeboy.

Archived