Protagonist suddenly goes crazy in last chapter of epic

Hodor's Dragon

2 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Someone needs to edit a supercut of every time Dany has screamed at someone about "taking what is hers" or threatened violence if she doesn't get her way. Dozens of examples over 8 seasons. Remember all that "when my dragons are grown" bluster from Season 2? Was she just joking? 

I swear some of y'all talk about her like she's Mother Teresa. She isn't and never has been. 

Then do a supercut of every time she screamed about burning  innocents during a victory lap, and threatening violence after she gets her way... oh wait. Remember the "I don't want to rule over the ashes?"  Was she just joking?

Dany's flaw is that she is ruthless in her pursuits and wholly convinced of her own riotousness.  This was neither of those things, just needless cruelty for the sake of it.  Nothing she has ever said previously hinted at such a turn.  If she killed the people of King's Landing on accident, or if they refused to surrender even after being defeated it would be different.  They literally hit us over the head with "everyone gave up, it's over now" before she went on a rampage.

Just now, Green Knight said:

Let’s not forget how she roasted Varys for betraying her with the heinous crime of - what? Oh yeah, trying to expose the truth that someone else actually has a better claim... :cool4:

I think what Varys was doing is called treason. He was actually trying to poison her, you know.

11 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

I don't know exactly how much time passed since her arrival in Westeros so I cant judge how fast her descent was, but I think a mixture of paranoia, feeling alone, death of loved ones, losing her grip on what she felt was her purpose and birth right.. death of 2 of her children... is plenty to drive even the purist of people evil.

I agree that it was a pretty rapid decline however so much of the above did happen in 2 episodes, so if all these things can and needed to happen in 2 hours then I can certainly believe she could lose it in the same space of time.... the question is how long was 2 hours in our time in show time ?

But one could see how the following might push her over the edge:

- Loss of two most trusted advisors/friends in rapid succession

- Loss of most of the Dothraki army

- Feeling that Jon isn't 100% loyal to her

- Hatred for Cersei

But yes, these should be built up over time -- maybe 1 or 2 whole seasons.  As it's executed in the shows, I can see the line from A to B, but it feels rushed.

11 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

There was always the fear that Dany would go the way of so many of her family did, toward madness, that is.  But her final descent was not portrayed in a reasonable way, just as Jaime's character arc was not, just as so much of this story was not. 

I found myself wondering at the exchange between Dany and Jon in this episode.  He pulled back from her . . . why?  And she visibly chilled and said something about, okay, FEAR, then!  I mean, WHAT?  Did she slip him the tongue and it hit a sore tooth or what the hell happened? 

Just so many things felt WRONG, I don't know where to start.  But it's been that way for a long time, so I'm not too surprised, really.

I was very confused about that scene too, but no one talked about it. Is it the aunt thing? Has he fallen out of love with her? I think he would at least try to reassure her and make her feel supported before the battle but he just says....nothing. He acted very strangely and not at all like a leader in that scene. I think he's finally coming into his undead zombie self. 

2 minutes ago, ron2112 said:

But one could see how the following might push her over the edge:

- Loss of two most trusted advisors/friends in rapid succession

- Loss of most of the Dothraki army

- Feeling that Jon isn't 100% loyal to her

- Hatred for Cersei

But yes, these should be built up over time -- maybe 1 or 2 whole seasons.  As it's executed in the shows, I can see the line from A to B, but it feels rushed.

But this wasn't even that. If she had decided to burn down the red keep to get revenge on cersei even when the battle is over that would have made fit. Instead she burns the city and then attacks the red keep. this made no sense. Even aerys didn't do this stuff until he had completly lost the war and had no chance. And that was just him doing a "if I can't have it noone can" and he had been insane for years. She wins the battle and then goes insane.

Just now, fairwarging said:

I was very confused about that scene too, but no one talked about it. Is it the aunt thing? Has he fallen out of love with her? I think he would at least try to reassure her and make her feel supported before the battle but he just says....nothing. He acted very strangely and not at all like a leader in that scene. I think he's finally coming into his undead zombie self. 

Yeah that made no sense.

Jon-I love you

Pulls away.

If he had said we can't because we are related or that I can't if you destroy kings landing then it would have made sense. Instead he just turns cold even though she needs help.

1 minute ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

This reminds me of that Stannis  sudden180 turn into a villian in season 5. 

No it's worse. Stannis was desperate and if the snow didn't melt he would die and so would his army. His was the act of a desperate man. It was out of character for him in my opinion but if it had worked and he won it would have been sacrificing his child for the good of the seven kingdoms. Still horrific and out of character but dany wasn't desperate in any way. She had won.

1 minute ago, snow is the man said:

But this wasn't even that. If she had decided to burn down the red keep to get revenge on cersei even when the battle is over that would have made fit. Instead she burns the city and then attacks the red keep. this made no sense. Even aerys didn't do this stuff until he had completly lost the war and had no chance. And that was just him doing a "if I can't have it noone can" and he had been insane for years. She wins the battle and then goes insane.

I don't disagree, but gonna play Devil's Advocate for a moment here.

Dany seems to me to have been itching to unleash her dragons on King's Landing for at least a couple seasons now, only to have been talked down by her advisors.  So she does things their way, and wins, but two of her closest friends are now dead because of what she could easily perceive as being sidetracked from her main mission -- to take the Iron Throne.

I can see how this might seem unsatisfying to a Mad Queen, and thus she goes on a rampage to exact her pound of flesh.

Yes, it lacks a certain amount of "connective tissue" to really SELL the "Mad Queen" theme, but the elements are there, if you want to look for them.  If the books do indeed go this way, I suspect GRRM will do a better job of making the case.

I think it’s going to be hilarious to hear all the whining and gnashing of teeth from all The Dany fans when the books end up with basically the same ending if they are ever completed. True there would b a lot more fleshing out and build up but the end would be the same. She’s still the villain. 

3 minutes ago, ron2112 said:

I don't disagree, but gonna play Devil's Advocate for a moment here.

Dany seems to me to have been itching to unleash her dragons on King's Landing for at least a couple seasons now, only to have been talked down by her advisors.  So she does things their way, and wins, but two of her closest friends are now dead because of what she could easily perceive as being sidetracked from her main mission -- to take the Iron Throne.

I can see how this might seem unsatisfying to a Mad Queen, and thus she goes on a rampage to exact her pound of flesh.

Yes, it lacks a certain amount of "connective tissue" to really SELL the "Mad Queen" theme, but the elements are there, if you want to look for them.  If the books do indeed go this way, I suspect GRRM will do a better job of making the case.

I am usually the one to say "okay I don't like how it was done but it could have been to show this or we didn't see this" Seriously I made alot of excuses for TWD and other shows. Even for how they seem to have a teleporter outside KL. However this just made no sense.

8 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

Yeah that made no sense.

Jon: "I love you."

Pulls away.

This.

If he had said

we can't because we are related or that I can't if you destroy kings landing then it would have made sense. Instead he just turns cold even though she needs help.

And this.

10 hours ago, TeethGrinder said:

Dany fans realising how we felt in season 5.

:D

Seriously though it was awful. Should have made the season 10 episodes and showed more development. The descent into paranoia could have been done across the last two seasons. Instead we got happily ever after like romance and a sudden break with reality. Horrible.

hear hear!

2 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

I am usually the one to say "okay I don't like how it was done but it could have been to show this or we didn't see this" Seriously I made alot of excuses for TWD and other shows. Even for how they seem to have a teleporter outside KL. However this just made no sense.

And to think people thought Game of Thrones was leagues better than The Walking Dead.

I wonder how those people feel now.

Because The Walking Dead, for all its imperfections, never made this many huge mistakes...

Archived