What was the whole point of the truce from Season 7 if King's Landing could be sacked in a few hours?

The Map Guy

Season 7

• Dany and Drogon destroys the Lannister Army after the Sack of Highgarden, with minimal loses
  • Team Dany thinks about hitting the pause button on sacking King's Landing, while the city was at their weakest
  • Team Dany has three dragons, and all of their Unsullied and Dothrakis, along with several Westerosi allies
  • Team Jon goes on a suicide mission to get a zombie from Beyond the Wall
  • A dragon eventually dies from Dany's rescue mission of Team Jon
  • The Night King was able to invade Westeros thanks to that stupid rescue mission by stealing a dragon
  • Dany negotiates a truce with Cersei to stop fighting for now

All this took probably several weeks

Season 8

• The Night King arrived and was defeated at Winterfell ... but he only got there because the ROOT of the problem was trying to set a truce with Cersei back in Season 7
  • King's Landing is reinforced by the Golden Company, Euron, and some Lannister soldiers (I thought they bent the knee)
  • King's Landing has multiple upgraded Scorpions on land & sea. They already killed Rhaegal in the previous episode
  • Team Dany has only one dragon now, and much less Unsullied & Dothrakis from the Battle of Winterfell
  • They sack a heavily defended King's Landing in ~one hour with minimal blood shed, up until the stupid Mad Queen twist

WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF THE TRUCE IN SEASON 7?????

The battle should have been less one sided 

Drogon should have been shot once or twice, the Golden company should not have been fodder...And when Cersei starts to notice she was losing - she should have detonated wild fire. The fact that they nerfed her completely annoyed me. But I guess at the same time they were trying to convey Dany’s descent and destruction 

There was never any point. I, and others, have been saying it since S7. All Dany had to do was go on a dragon, fly up to Cersei's window and Dracarys. And boom, Dany has her throne.

S6 showed that not only does Dany have amazing control over her dragons but they can precision fire. They are as good as drones really. So the damage to the Red Keep can be minimized.

My point is that last season:

Dany had all three dragons and her armies in tact.

And they did nothing to an unprepared King's Landing.

This season:

With one dragon and a smaller army ... against a city that was ready for dragons ... Dany sacks it in a hour, with almost no civilian casualties before the bells.

Just re-imagine tonight's episode will ALL THREE DRAGONS and King's Landing with no Scorpions, with her armies in full force.

This is terrible story telling. Nothing is earned. They could of convey Dany's descent in a more believable way...they could of made the battle a lot harder for her, and she chooses to burn enemy soldiers hiding behind civilians.

6 minutes ago, Mystical said:

There was never any point. I, and others, have been saying it since S7. All Dany had to do was go on a dragon, fly up to Cersei's window and Dracarys. And boom, Dany has her throne.

S6 showed that not only does Dany have amazing control over her dragons but they can precision fire. They are as good as drones really. So the damage to the Red Keep can be minimized.

And since she doesn't need to convince a dead Cersei anymore, Jon doesn't need to go Beyond the Wall to kidnap a zombie.

The White Walkers & the zombies would just be sitting there behind the Wall with no way of invading with out a dragon of their own.

19 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Not just season 6, but this very episode. Look at Drogon frying Varys. After "Dracarys" he knows exactly who to kill, and does it without hurting Tyrion and Grey Worm, who stand on either side of Varys. That's fantastic. One toast coming up, but no more.

We will see the point in episode 6. Tyrion's point all along has been that taking KL is the easy part. Dany isn't going to stay queen by torching KL. That will cause her coalition to collapse.

The problem with attacking KL has been that Cersei has the population hostage. She is using them as human shields. Tens of thousands of people will die.

Remember that it only takes one faceless man to take out a king. And Varys has spread the truth about Jon. So I suspect she will try to imprison Jon and then get offed by his little sister.

What a ridiculous episode, it just reveals even more plot holes. They did more with less and and once the bells rang Dany just went and burned everything. The lack of writing couldn't be more evident - just burn everything.

Everything happened so quickly and felt rushed.

1 hour ago, The Map Guy said:

WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF THE TRUCE IN SEASON 7?????

The point plotwise is to allow the story to demonstrate the progression of Dany's increasing ruthlessness, paranoia and insanity. It would have been utterly unconvincing for the breaker of chains to go in and slaughter civilians last series, but now it's understandable. Of course there are still many fans who don't understand character development and can't accept her changing, and the writing has not done a great job, but I think that's the reason.

Also, although the latest episode didn't make it clear, we know Gendry was able to knock up armour for Drogon.  They didn't know this was needed (maybe they should have) previously.

I read somewhere that they said that Dany was furious that sacking the Red Keep was too easy - that all of her losses were because of her listening to her so-called advisors and at this point she really wanted KL to suffer more for what she had to suffer. 

Which I honestly totes get. 

50 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

The point plotwise is to allow the story to demonstrate the progression of Dany's increasing ruthlessness, paranoia and insanity. It would have been utterly unconvincing for the breaker of chains to go in and slaughter civilians last series, but now it's understandable. Of course there are still many fans who don't understand character development and can't accept her changing, and the writing has not done a great job, but I think that's the reason.

Yes, it gave her a chance to appeal to Cersei for help in the war against the NK in a civilized manner. She had to offer Cersei something before she could ask for her aid.

53 minutes ago, TeethGrinder said:

Remember Stannis burned his daughter because it was snowing. Good times.

Ah, that's why I still have a little hope in the books. These hopes get smaller and smaller after each tv season, but still... In the books Shireen is going to die (confirmed by D&D), most likely she will burn in the similar way she did in the show. But the snow we already have at Winterfell where Stannis and his army resides is so much that you can't even compare with the show. People can't see 3 meters ahead because of that snow. There, I could imagine that Stannis gets desperate. While in the show...

Archived