They ruined Jaime once and for all

Snormund

29 minutes ago, Snormund said:

Healed by a domestic abuser?

Lady Crane claims she gets her healing skills from all the times she's beaten the shit out of her lovers for cheating/inconveniencing her, etc and had to heal them to hide the evidence. And of course Arya, our sympathetic heroine, laughs and nods.

Remember, this was Season 6, height of D&D trying to employ their third-grader's understanding of feminism to the show to appease all the people accusing them of being sexist. So they compensated by normalising female-on-male domestic abuse! Charming!

Remind me why we're supposed to hate the Waif for killing an unrepentant serial abuser again?

14 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

His disloyalty to King Aerys was seen as a positive attribute. Why are you whitewashing it to be positive?

Queen Cersei is worse than King Aerys because Queen Cersei destroyed her own family and alliances just because she's power hungry and it feels good to please herself.

Show Jaime:

He passed the test with the Mad King, though it brought him nearly everlasting shame.  

He failed the test with Cersei which should bring him truly everlasting shame.  

Book Jaime:

He is actually interesting.  It is his relationship with Brienne that makes it difficult to tell if his new found self-awareness and introspection is actually anything more than self pity.  Jaime loses his identity with his hand.  This devasting loss of place, including in Cersei's bed, is disorienting and bewildering. 

Even as the Kingslayer he is still widely considered the Best Swordsman in Westeros and he is a golden lion with a golden lioness.  Then he becomes a "cripple" and Cersei basically laughs in his face.  Not to mention what he hears from his brother about her affairs.  He is feeling sorry for himself and licking his wounds.  He becomes a "nicer" person, a little here a little there, it is not overnight, but it is really hard to tell if he is really changing or if he is softening due to wallowing in self pity.   

IMO, the difference is when he is interacting with Brienne.  She seems to really inspire him to be noble.  It is her influence that prompts him to try to re-take River Run without violence, to give Brienne the mission to find Blabbermouth, and of course to jump in the bear pit.               

In the books, Jaime literally tosses Cersei's appeal to "LOVE" on the fire.  If there was no Brienne I might dismiss it to simple jealousy.  But in light of what was happening with Brienne the jury is still out.  We have yet to see whether he reverts to being a selfish shit and a sap for Cersei.  The redemption is incomplete. 

IMHO, he will need to confront Bran and maybe submit himself to Stark justice for me to believe in his redemption.  He doesn't need to die but he needs to be will to accept the consequences of his own actions.  But he has a chance at redemption.  At least as much of a chance  as Reek..    

44 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Lady Crane claims she gets her healing skills from all the times she's beaten the shit out of her lovers for cheating/inconveniencing her, etc and had to heal them to hide the evidence. And of course Arya, our sympathetic heroine, laughs and nods.

Remember, this was Season 6, height of D&D trying to employ their third-grader's understanding of feminism to the show to appease all the people accusing them of being sexist. So they compensated by normalising female-on-male domestic abuse! Charming!

Remind me why we're supposed to hate the Waif for killing an unrepentant serial abuser again?

Jesus Christ she said that? I have no memory of that. 

Just now, Snormund said:

Jesus Christ she said that? I have no memory of that. 

It sort of got lost in the constant patronising glurge of 'women on top' that season. Along with 'let's murder the Martell family to avenge Oberyn Martell!' and 'We used Cersei rising to power as an excuse to cut out complex political machinations we lack the talent to write', but it's there.

Archived