Unpopular opinion

GeorgeIAF

2 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I agree that the writing in this season and the last is mediocre and they should haven went with 10 episodes each, but i’m more and more convinced that D&D are the scapegoats of the fans anger about the ending. 

The real target is GRRM and his ending (because the main plot points of the TV SHOW will be the same as in the books) is not well received by the fans. I wonder if he’ll decide to change the original ending to appease the fandom.

That would be a disaster. Sorry, but the fans who can't handle it are idiots who need to stick to Disney stories. Yes, D&D are poor writers, but they are, as you say, sticking to GRRM's method of fucking with fans' expectations, and that's why makes ASOIAF so brilliant.

Lose the muppet fans GRRM - you don't need the money; focus on the artistic merit of your opus.

[Now THAT'S how you express an 'unpopular opinion'!!!!!]  :ninja:

I'm not too fussed as long as it comes about organically. The problem with the show is that literally everything is rushed, nothing about it looks believable anymore. Just look at the siege, camp under the walls, Euron's fleet lets them land, they all stand about in generic clumps or perfect CGI rows, everything about it is unconvincing and that's the world building and visuals, the actual story and character progression are more rushed than anything. It's simply become an inferior product. 

Is George even allowed to change the ending now? I have no idea but wouldn't he open himself to a lawsuit? I mean the HBO people probably paid good money for the real ending, wouldn't they look like fools if they didn't put that in a contract? 

9 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

...I would very, very much liked to have watched 10 episodes with more dialogue, more emotions and more little side stories...

10 episodes this season would have been just right; there were storylines in there that needed time and space to evolve and grow, and 10 would have done it.  I think the first 2 episodes are probably fine as they are, but the rest of it definitely needed the extra.

1 minute ago, 21st Century Moose said:

10 episodes this season would have been just right; there were storylines in there that needed time and space to evolve and grow, and 10 would have done it.

Yes, that's a pity, but the storyline itself is fine anyway.

2 minutes ago, 21st Century Moose said:

I think the first 2 episodes are probably fine as they are,

I did not appreciate E1 that much. Many reunions could have done more emotional and with more meaningful dialogues. E2 was 10/10 for me, because of so much better dialogues and so much more emotions. Well done. I have no problems with a great battle like E3 but I enjoy dialogues and emotions more. 

2 hours ago, Danelle said:

I hope not.

He has envisioned the story and he should write the ending he wants. The show is an adaptation after all, not an exact copy of the books.

Unfortunately it seems like he is already going to make changes

https://mentalfloss.com/article/578205/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-ending-will-be-different

3 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I wonder if he’ll decide to change the original ending to appease the fandom.

GRRM said on several occasions that he would never change a story because of fan expectations. And why should he? Imagine working on this for huge parts of your life and than changing the outcome you have been building up all this time just to appease the audience.

his ending is not well received by the fans

Can that be said so clearly at this point? I'm not following how it is received on all the platforms but those dissatisfied are often louder. I find it very fitting where the story went. You can argue a lot about how it got there (/the issues of the show) but that left aside i wonder what would have been considered a "good ending" for a story which was at major parts about the struggle for power, how power corrupts, "the human heart in conflict with itself" (i know this is getting old), and so on. - But: Although the books will most likely come to the same conclusion it's still speculative how it will work out in detail. 

So for me there is a difference between criticizing the show for certain decisions and liking/not liking the ending. I'm not sure if that much people will really use their dissatisfaction as an excuse for blaming the showrunners while actually meaning GRRM; if so what would hinder them from blaming him straight? But it's the internet so i guess everything is possible. :)

@Queen Alysanne

He is quoted in that article: "The major points of the ending will be things I told [Benioff and Weiss] five or six years ago. But there may also be changes, and there’ll be a lot added."

What changes he is talking about is up to speculation (unless there's a longer statement of him going into detail). In the books are far more characters and storylines to be solved. He said in an interview he often has to make changes when certain things are not working out and he has to start over. So it's always been a process where changes were being involved.

I don’t have a problem with Dany going mad queen in fact I suspected something similar will happen in the books. However her arch to become a villain was too quick and the storyline has a lot of inconsistencies. 

2 minutes ago, Crona said:

I don’t have a problem with Dany going mad queen in fact I suspected something similar will happen in the books. However her arch to become a villain was too quick and the storyline has a lot of inconsistencies. 

Right, basically the show writers have written it badly, but GRRM has the same arc in mind and it will play out brilliantly in the books (when they come out!)

15 minutes ago, Queen‍‍‍‍‍‍ Alysanne‍‍™ said:

https://mentalfloss.com/article/578205/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-ending-will-be-different

"The major points of the ending will be things I told [Benioff and Weiss] five or six years ago. But there may also be changes, and there’ll be a lot added."

I take that to mean it won't be the same as the show (hooray), not he'll change it to appease shallow fans who probably can't read proper books anyway (boo).

The arc of the storyline is great.

Why do people moan so much? It was clear that Daenerys would not end up as Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. That would have beein anti-climatic and much to easy and even stupid. Why should Westerosi people hail a queen from Essos?

Get a grip, the storyline is not about stupid fan expectation but about a meaningful and complex arcs.

I have not watched this episode yet but I don't think it so much rushing that is ruining the plot points. There may be some rushing but its more than that.

I was thinking today Danys second dragon should have been killed with a plan - like poisoning a (deliberately failed) assassin, knowing that dany would feed  them to the dragon. Hiring a faceless man to do it. Shit, even Euron making the silence invisible and sneaking up on it would have been better than what we got.

The problem is D&D (and whoever they are hiring) are really shit house writers that totally lack imagination and cannot connect the plot points with anything even interesting, let alone logical. Did they not re-read the scripts and realise it was crap that played badly? Did they not pre-vis and go man, that looks dumb?

Time to suffer through 805 soon.

31 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Sorry, but the fans who can't handle it are idiots who need to stick to Disney stories.

This. Exactly. Thanks for the blunt words. It's obviously necessary, This arc is just great and more or less expected. It makes a lot of sense.

3 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

They tried to fit too much in too little time.

I disagree. They cut so many important plots from the books while adding tones of pointless romance and sex. 

25 minutes ago, Crona said:

The show was rushed a bit too much, but the storyline itself is fine and believable.

I appreciate the events of E5. It's a nice storyline. It's been epic.

I agree that the writing in this season and the last is mediocre and they should haven went with 10 episodes each, but i’m more and more convinced that D&D are the scapegoats of the fans anger about the ending. 

The real target is GRRM and his ending (because the main plot points of the TV SHOW will be the same as in the books) is not well received by the fans. I wonder if he’ll decide to change the original ending to appease the fandom.

Wrong books will be nothing like the show. GRRM is not the target, D&D at this point are sole creators of abomination we are watching. 

1 hour ago, House Cambodia said:

That would be a disaster. Sorry, but the fans who can't handle it are idiots who need to stick to Disney stories. Yes, D&D are poor writers, but they are, as you say, sticking to GRRM's method of fucking with fans' expectations, and that's why makes ASOIAF so brilliant.

Lose the muppet fans GRRM - you don't need the money; focus on the artistic merit of your opus.

[Now THAT'S how you express an 'unpopular opinion'!!!!!]  :ninja:

Show is insanely predictable, unoriginal  and Didneylike. Cleganebowl, Mad Queen, Sansa 'outsmarting' LF,  ect. There is one thing surprising fans in a way that makes sense in a story and something else surprises just for the purpose of a suprise. 

54 minutes ago, Queen‍‍‍‍‍‍ Alysanne‍‍™ said:

Thanks for the link.

Perhaps the changes he is referring to have to do with the pace of the story. To be fair, I didn't mind that certain journeys or battles which took a long time in the books were shortened or even omitted from the tv series, as long as the effect in the character development is minimal. I know that he once stated that he wrote three different scenes of the same chapter and in the end he chose to use only one. Hopefully he is referring to something similar.

Spoiler

I am referring to the three different arrivals of Quentyn in Meereen, one long before the wedding, one a day before and one after. 

3 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

Show is insanely predictable, unoriginal  and Didneylike. Cleganebowl, Mad Queen, Sansa 'outsmarting' LF,  ect. There is one thing surprising fans in a way that makes sense in a story and something else surprises just for the purpose of a suprise. 

The show, yes. What I'm saying is that it is very badly trying to recreate what are brilliant plotlines in GRRM's writing. I'm pretty sure all those plotlines fans hate will occur in tWOW and aDoS, but obviously drawn infinitely better.

2 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

The show, yes. What I'm saying is that it is very badly trying to recreate what are brilliant plotlines in GRRM's writing. I'm pretty sure all those plotlines fans hate will occur in tWOW and aDoS, but obviously drawn infinitely better.

I think they could but I wouldn't be so sure they actually will. We know GRRM lies or dodges questions, tries to confuse us. When he was lately asked about it he kept contradicting his statements. 

Archived