Unpopular opinion

GeorgeIAF

13 hours ago, Damitol said:

One of the things I won't miss when the show ends and starts to fade from the collective memory are the posts, articles and YouTube videos whining how D&D are hacks, idiots, dumb and dumber, and incapable of writing two sentences that make any sense at all.  They ruined this, they butchered that and they took +/- 75 hours of my life away that I will never get back.  And most unpardonable of all, they didn't show every minute of each month long journey from point A to point B!

No.  They took a series of great books (I'm assuming 6 and 7 will be great if they are ever written) that most people - including the author - thought were impossible to commit to film, and created one of the most popular and celebrated television shows ever, and one that has a dedicated worldwide audience as well.   

Has the ending been really rushed? Hell yeah.  Were there plot holes (and plot armor), missed opportunities, abandoned story lines, cringy moments and some completely unnecessary scenes (I'm looking at you Euron vs. Jamie) over the years?  Check, check, check, check and check.  BUT - I wouldn't trade those 75 hours for anything, and I will miss them when they are gone.

They didn't write the story I would have (unlike many, I'm able to admit mine would have sucked in comparison) and I was not always happy with choices they made, but overall GoT has been an amazing trip.  Not just watching the show, but discussing it with friends, pouring over this forum reading a lot of well written and passionate posts (even if I didn't agree with them) and watching YouTube reviews/breakdowns that all helped me appreciate things I misunderstood, or just missed altogether the first time.

So - to get back to this thread, we know the story ending is in line with what GRRM envisioned and if I've learned anything from the books and the show, don't assume anything until the screen goes black for the last time next week and the promo for "Chernobyl" starts.  Maybe Dani went mad, or maybe she just carried out her intended plan (to be explained later), maybe she will die at Arya's/Jon's hand, maybe she will line up all the Starks and burn them or maybe Jon and Dani will co-rule, dressed in white and laughing as baby Ringo Targaryen toddles around.  I may curse the TV like I did when Ned's head came off, when Cat's throat was cut or when Dani started burning innocents - but it will be GRRM's intended ending.  Love it or hate it, I thank Dan, Dave and George for taking me there.

The Dumb & Dumber nonsense is over done.  I've got my gripes but I have also jumped out of my seat cheering plenty of times.  

I hope you are right  and by the end of the final episode I understand WTF just happened.

I hate George Martin.  I am still so pissed over the Black Barbecue that I want to boycott his ass, but I am in the middle of Fire and Blood and it is so damned good that I cannot put the accursed thing down.  Thus am I ensorcelled by my new arch enemy.  Bastard.  Damn you Martin!  Damn you to hell!.  

The dialogue especially has taken a kamikaze nose-dive over the last few seasons, but it's hard know where to apportion ultimate blame. The lack of source material is the obvious main culprit. But in fairness to D&D they were left with almost impossible balancing act: negotiating the narrative consequences of the dragons… Gloriously badass though they are, GRRM made them so powerful that D&D had to perform a veritable Cirque du Soleil of dramatic contortions, including the butchery of Tyrion's character, to somehow keep Dany off the throne for this long. It all felt so horribly skewed, right up to the cloaking technology Euron employed to sneak up on Rhaegal, and then Drogon suddenly developing ninja dodging powers cos they need him alive to blowtorch the city

6 hours ago, Imp Beyond the Wall said:

I hate George Martin.  I am still so pissed over the Black Barbecue that I want to boycott his ass, but I am in the middle of Fire and Blood and it is so damned good that I cannot put the accursed thing down.  Thus am I ensorcelled by my new arch enemy.  Bastard.  Damn you Martin!  Damn you to hell!.  

Ha ha! I just received Fire and Blood for Mother's Day and I am in the same fix! :D

I won't go so far as to threaten boycott. But by heck, I won't buy any more of the books until they're released in paperback! That'll learn 'em!

Archived