Unpopular opinion

GeorgeIAF

I agree that the writing in this season and the last is mediocre and they should haven went with 10 episodes each, but i’m more and more convinced that D&D are the scapegoats of the fans anger about the ending. 

The real target is GRRM and his ending (because the main plot points of the TV SHOW will be the same as in the books) is not well received by the fans. I wonder if he’ll decide to change the original ending to appease the fandom.

D&D failed to produce a coherent & convincing show, regardless of whether we like or don't like any particular end. For everything they do slightly right, more and many things fall apart around it. I think this was the best episode in a very bad last season so far, which is not saying much.

14 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I wonder if he’ll decide to change the original ending to appease the fandom.

I hope not.

He has envisioned the story and he should write the ending he wants. The show is an adaptation after all, not an exact copy of the books.

They tried to fit too much in too little time. Why they would choose to end the most popular tv show in history this way is beyond me. It's plain stupid.

I have heard over and over that Martin has said the show and the books end the same way, but they obviously arrive at those endings differently.

17 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I agree that the writing in this season and the last is mediocre and they should haven went with 10 episodes each, but i’m more and more convinced that D&D are the scapegoats of the fans anger about the ending. 

The real target is GRRM and his ending (because the main plot points of the TV SHOW will be the same as in the books) is not well received by the fans. I wonder if he’ll decide to change the original ending to appease the fandom.

Dnd have to deal with location, screenshots, actors and a zillion other things. One might say writing the book is easier than interpreting it in screen form. They done ok considering their original scriptwriter hasnt even finished the proper script.

I don't think it's very fair to blame GRRM until we get the books. Or the fans for not liking it.

D&D have made a visually amazing show. They have had some great battle scenes, some very moving speeches and touching convos between characters. They have done a great job of making these books come to life, but they have also made decisions to simply things and change arcs to fit into a tv show, which left them making some choices fans aren't happy with, and that don't make much sense.

Some fans were always going to be angry that their theories didn't come true. I am one of them. But I think as long as the ending makes sense most fans will get over their theories being wrong. So far not everything makes much sense

2 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

They tried to fit too much in too little time. Why they would choose to end the most popular tv show in history this way is beyond me. It's plain stupid.

I think they realized how difficult it was post A Dance of Dragons to do this without GRRM.  GRRM gave them an outline but they had to make difficult decisions with narrative and characters without legit source material.

5 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

Im sure they had plenty of limitations, more so than writing a book...i mean it has been since 2012 since grrm could cough up a book, so with that in mind, dnd did an admirable job. I mean, how would you feel as a director if the guy who was supposed to finish the books ended up dragging so hard? That changed the game a lot and that why it stacked a bit after season 4...what could they do if they have to produce a season a year? Script is only one part in many there.

36 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I'm sure Shakespeare is responsible for every crappy adaptation of his plays, too. 

17 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

I think they realized how difficult it was post A Dance of Dragons to do this without GRRM.  GRRM gave them an outline but they had to make difficult decisions with narrative and characters without legit source material.

17 minutes ago, 420faceless said:

Im sure they had plenty of limitations, more so than writing a book...i mean it has been since 2012 since grrm could cough up a book, so with that in mind, dnd did an admirable job. I mean, how would you feel as a director if the guy who was supposed to finish the books ended up dragging so hard? That changed the game a lot and that why it stacked a bit after season 4...what could they do if they have to produce a season a year? Script is only one part in many there.

You both make good points, and don't get me wrong, I haven't rated an episode this season less than an 8. I know I can't even begin to imagine what it takes to produce a show like this, and there are things that are out of the writers' control, like the cost of CGI which there has been a lot of this season, and budget is one of the many limitations they have to deal with. It just seems that with what they've invested in this show, HBO would have invested enough to make the final season not feel so rushed.

I do think there has been A LOT of nitpicking on this forum (regarding Ghost, for one). It makes me wonder why some of these people even watch the show! Last week I think the only thread I read was the rating thread because I was so disgusted by all the negativity and nitpicking, and I usually read about a third of the threads.

50 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I don't think he should. I think if people are honest with themselves, it's not so much what is happening as how it's happening. Jaime returning to Cersei? I can see it, but right now we've been left hanging in the books with Jaime burning Cersei's letter begging for help. We need time to get to from point A to point B to point C. I trust that GRRM can bring us along on that journey. D&D have thrown it in our face and expected us to run with it.

Dany goes full Mad Queen? Sure, that can also happen in the books. We are left with her thinking of fire and blood, after all. I just keep thinking of her in Mereen listening to petitioners with a sore bottom and being grateful for Barristan for thinking to give her a pillow. Again - give me time and I can get behind it, but the main point is GIVE ME TIME! D&D want shock and awe and look how cool our CGI is (aside from Ghost) and has lost the character development that made the series great. They still have moments, but that's all they are - moments and not a complete story.

Actually they cut out a lot of the politics from the books and therefore there are  similarities but not completely the same. Also Hbo had offered D&D a longer season and resources for a great season but it was rejected. So this is their fault.

55 minutes ago, Crona said:

Actually they cut out a lot of the politics from the books and therefore there are  similarities but not completely the same. Also Hbo had offered D&D a longer season and resources for a great season but it was rejected. So this is their fault.

Could you link that source info please. I'd love to read the details. 

1 hour ago, SansaJonRule said:

You both make good points, and don't get me wrong, I haven't rated an episode this season less than an 8. I know I can't even begin to imagine what it takes to produce a show like this, and there are things that are out of the writers' control, like the cost of CGI which there has been a lot of this season, and budget is one of the many limitations they have to deal with. It just seems that with what they've invested in this show, HBO would have invested enough to make the final season not feel so rushed.

I do think there has been A LOT of nitpicking on this forum (regarding Ghost, for one). It makes me wonder why some of these people even watch the show! Last week I think the only thread I read was the rating thread because I was so disgusted by all the negativity and nitpicking, and I usually read about a third of the threads.

I think nitpicking shows what we value as our investment.  I could not imagine how I would feel about the show if I was team Dany all the way after the most recent episode.  Alas, I always felt her story was the story of a Mad Queen so I really enjoyed the episode.  I did not like the Ghost portrayal but I'll take a poor goodbye on-screen because of budget than a death off-screen like I originally thought.  We want it all, but should be happy with what we got.  As a book reader I hope we get the rest of the story but I'm happy to at least have the show until then.

10 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Could you link that source info please. I'd love to read the details. 

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/9/18537794/game-of-thrones-ending-too-quickly-pacing

i found this one

. “[HBO] said, ‘We’ll give you the resources to make this what it needs to be,’” Weiss said. Benioff added, “HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season.” But the showrunners refused. “We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that,” Benioff continued. “As much as they wanted more, they understood that this is where the story ends.”

2 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

I have no doubt in my mind the Yaaas slay queen Dany fans will shit themselves when she cracks regardless of how well GRRM writes it.

Preach!  it's not like there's going to be 5-6 books worth of hints from her own POV as well as others....

2 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

that D&D are the scapegoats of the fans anger about the ending.

GRRM wrote this storyline and Daenerys turning into the Mad Queen was foreshadowing throughout the whole books and series. Daenerys destroying King's Landing ist GRRM's decision and the storyline is consistent and believable. It is highly unfair to speak bad about the show just because of how the storyline went.

There was enough foreshadowing and we knew the possibility of Daenerys turning into the Queen of Ashes more than enough. Tyrion told her so pretty often. Every watchers had to expect that. It was open, everything could have happend, but the possibility was there and not unlikely at all. No one should play surprised.

So, in summary, I agree with you.

2 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

GRRM wrote this storyline and Daenerys turning into the Mad Queen was foreshadowing throughout the whole books and series. Daenerys destroying King's Landing ist GRRM's decision and the storyline is consistent and believable. It is highly unfair to speak bad about the show just because of how the storyline went.

There was enough foreshadowing and we knew the possibility of Daenerys turning into the Queen of Ashes more than enough. Tyrion told her so pretty often. Every watchers had to expect that. It was open, everything could have happend, but the possibility was there and not unlikely at all. No one should play surprised. 

So, in summary, I agree with you. 

Yes, this.  People can say what they like about how the story is being told, but the fault for not liking the story lies with those who had seriously messed-up headcanon about Dany and Jon getting married, ruling happily-ever-after together, and filling the world with little Targ babies.

5 minutes ago, 21st Century Moose said:

People can say what they like about how the story is being told

Exactly, and Ii agree that several issues are rushed and I would very, very much liked to have watched 10 episodes with more dialogue, more emotions and more little side stories. The telling of the story is not perfect and some smaller issues are not satisfying.

7 minutes ago, 21st Century Moose said:

the fault for not liking the story lies with those who had seriously messed-up headcanon

Absolutely, the storyline is sensible and consistent and people dreaming of other endings might not like it so mich, but that doesn't make it a bad story.

Archived