What Happened to the writing?

We waited two fracking years for the worst writing of the series? I was looking for Michael Bey in the credits. From the utterly pointless "Dothraki charge of the light brigade", to the ridiclous death of Rheagal both Benihof and Wiess need to be stripped naked and paraded through the streets with bells of shame ringing loud. What, did  the Dragon Queen, Varys, and Tyrion not think that maybe, perhaps, it might just be a good idea to use the dragons to take a look around....from the air! What? Did Dragonstone ATC put a two hundred  hard cieling of all flights that day? Or perhaps Captain Nemo assisted Euron with upgrading his fleet into Scorpion class SSNs...

Yes the cinemateography, fight scene coreography was excellent and the special effect second to none. However, this Game of Thrones, not Transformers...we expect more....Weiss and Benihoff, stop smoking whatever that is and get some better stuff, or stop smoking!

We have seen similar fiascos before, most notably Lost and Battlestar Galactica. Screen writers just don't think past the episode they're working on. Early seasons of Game of Thrones benefitted from the quality of the source material, i.e. George RR Martin's Fantasy epic A Song of Ice and Fire. Problem is, that's not finished. When the show ran out of source material the quality tanked. Not that it ever was that great. As an adaption, it was OK at best.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:43 AM, Loge said:

We have seen similar fiascos before, most notably Lost and Battlestar Galactica. Screen writers just don't think past the episode they're working on. Early seasons of Game of Thrones benefitted from the quality of the source material, i.e. George RR Martin's Fantasy epic A Song of Ice and Fire. Problem is, that's not finished. When the show ran out of source material the quality tanked. Not that it ever was that great. As an adaption, it was OK at best.

I don't think it's an excuse. They were briefed of crucial details years ago and any half competent writer with understanding of the books could have produced a more or less consistent story.  Hell, even half of the posters in westeros.org, reddit or tumblr could have come up with a more satisfying ending. Not enough material? Well turn to other books, read, get ideas. Do your job. Get a pick what your audience is saying.

So, your first explanation seems more likely. I'd add that they may not care anymore and thought whatever they screen, people are going to watch it anyway.

11 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

I don't think it's an excuse. They were briefed of crucial details years ago and any half competent writer with understanding of the books could have produced a more or less consistent story.  Hell, even half of the posters in westeros.org, reddit or tumblr could have come up with a more satisfying ending. Not enough material? Well turn to other books, read, get ideas. Do your job. Get a pick what your audience is saying.

So, your first explanation seems more likely. I'd add that they may not care anymore and thought whatever they screen, people are going to watch it anyway.

That is my big problem with this being grrm's ending 

They knew it for years but this season doesn t really fit with the previous seasons... It feels like they just want to shock us instead of telling a coherent story... 

from the beginning,  the HBO series was lacking in substance.  The screen writers just are not George RR Martin quality writers.    Without the kernel of 'end game' residing in Martin's head,  there was just no guidance.

On the other hand,  visually and artistically,  it's the only game in town,  and worthy of watching on it's own merit.

Fun exercise.

I suggest you go back to the earlier seasons of the SAME show. Martin didn't write all the scripts and dialogues for each and every episode. Yet the quality was superb.

I partly blame GRRM. He destroyed the show he started by not supervising and suggesting edits.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:43 PM, Loge said:

Yup. But those shows had the writers strike to blame.

ABout the only episode since S5 that has had GRRM style writing to it with a twist that makes since from a character development is when Cersei blows up the Great Sept with the wild fire. That was a shock, but made since, as we knew wildifre was in Kings Landing and we Knew she was out for vengeance against the High Septon and Tyrells. It made since. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 12:27 AM, robasp2 said:

Fun exercise.

I suggest you go back to the earlier seasons of the SAME show. Martin didn't write all the scripts and dialogues for each and every episode. Yet the quality was superb.

I partly blame GRRM. He destroyed the show he started by not supervising and suggesting edits.

He quit sometime between season 4 and season 5.

I think the major issue of contention was the exclusion of Lady Stoneheart.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:21 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

He quit sometime between season 4 and season 5.

I think the major issue of contention was the exclusion of Lady Stoneheart.

That and I remember reading it was also how they were changing GRRM's script. His purple wedding script had started setting up Jeyne Pool and Ramsey getting married, as well as talking about the Bran assassination and a ton of other smaller things.

Plus I am sure he was fed up since it has come out D&D can't write a script to save their lives.

On 6/18/2019 at 1:23 PM, btfu806 said:

That and I remember reading it was also how they were changing GRRM's script. His purple wedding script had started setting up Jeyne Pool and Ramsey getting married, as well as talking about the Bran assassination and a ton of other smaller things.

Plus I am sure he was fed up since it has come out D&D can't write a script to save their lives.

EXACTLY.

The fact that Loras and Brienne never even spoke at the Purple Wedding (episodes 1 and 2 of season 4) but Margaery and Brienne had a conversation was abhorrent. He was literally right there and they even had Loras get in his feelings about Renly.

13 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

EXACTLY.

The fact that Loras and Brienne never even spoke at the Purple Wedding (episodes 1 and 2 of season 4) but Margaery and Brienne had a conversation was abhorrent. He was literally right there and they even had Loras get in his feelings about Renly.

Have you read at all about the original failed pilot that D&D wrote? And how awful it was? It's almost comical how how little they know about screen writing. In their script notes they apparently had that Jamie and Cersei are brother and sister but never told the audience, never brought up in dialog. So the whole scene of them having sex meant nothing to the audience.

Some of it can be found here, though there are other articles as well: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-unaired-pilot_n_5c0af138e4b0ab8cf6934dbe

On 6/20/2019 at 8:54 AM, btfu806 said:

Have you read at all about the original failed pilot that D&D wrote? And how awful it was? It's almost comical how how little they know about screen writing. In their script notes they apparently had that Jamie and Cersei are brother and sister but never told the audience, never brought up in dialog. So the whole scene of them having sex meant nothing to the audience.

Some of it can be found here, though there are other articles as well: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-unaired-pilot_n_5c0af138e4b0ab8cf6934dbe

I read it.

It was sad.

Archived