Varys' Letters

darmody

11 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

Also, everyone seems to be assuming that the people of Westeros will accept the truth of Jon's parentage without question. I don't see that happening, given the sources.

I agree.  But since it'll be the last episode of the show, they might just skip that 'detail' and suddenly everyone knows and believes that Jon is the rightful heir. 

6 minutes ago, Red Dragon10 said:

I agree.  But since it'll be the last episode of the show, they might just skip that 'detail' and suddenly everyone knows and believes that Jon is the rightful heir. 

Sadly this is very possible :bang:

12 hours ago, darmody said:

Please tell me the Spider got word out to Lords Tully and Arryn, and that Sweet Robin is coming to "make the Mad Queen fly" by knocking Danny off her dragon. 

I hope so and I think he did.

4 minutes ago, Crona said:

Gendry becomes king and marries Sansa. Gendry becomes fat and depressed because he loves Arya and Sansa hates him. Perfect ending

But they have a bunch of baby direwolves with Antlers. Fully grown the direwolf with antlers is a much greater combat asset than regular direwolves or stags. Drogon might think twice about his leisurely nap.

42 minutes ago, Crona said:

Gendry becomes king and marries Sansa. Gendry becomes fat and depressed because he loves Arya and Sansa hates him. Perfect ending

"I wanted the tiny wild one, not the tall one who's good at needlepoint."

"Huh. I could have married Joffrey and had kids with the golden hair of lions. Or stayed with Ramsay, where every day is a surprise. All you do is play that carnival hammer game all the time."

"High Striker, Sansa! How many times I gotta tell ya? I have to make that bell ring!"

"[snickers inwardly about bells]"

12 hours ago, ShimShim said:

Sweet Robin will arrive at KL, not to make Daenerys fly, but to marry her, and become King of the 7 Kingdoms. 

By the Gods they suit each other now, don't they?

Too bad good ole'Ramsay kicked the bucked, she mighta liked him too...

...now that I think about it... small wonder her and Sansa don't get along.

All the events in Episode 5 were at least plausible if a bit over the top (Mad Queen, Cleganebowl, Jaime/Cersai deaths).  However i had a hard time understanding what Varys was trying to do.

I had to re-watch the Varys scenes several times.  I really want to know who he was writing to.  All of the remaining armies of any major houses were already at Kings Landing.  Winterfell and remaining northern houses followed Jon.  The Arryn forces lead by Yohn Royce followed Jon.  The Tully army was broken up and Edmure is still in prison.  Dorne was beaten by Euron and Highgarden was beaten by the Lannisters.  Yara only has a small splinter of the Greyjoy forces. So what did he hope to achieve by writing those letters?

Yarys was always a survivor who served under so many Kings . I found it inconceivable that he would let himself be discovered and put to death.

2 hours ago, snow is the man said:

Why? In order for jon to be a targ it has to mean that rhaegar annulled his marriage to his dornish wife and made his children into bastards. Why would they follow him

Prince Doran would never have agreed to that for his sister. The High Septon can do what he pleases, and there was enough time to have arranged for Elia's children to be left as legal issue even if she was herself granted a divorce. 

28 minutes ago, funpig said:

I had to re-watch the Varys scenes several times.  I really want to know who he was writing to. 

Me, I want to know what Varys was trying to sneak into Dany's meals. Something to destabilize her, perhaps? 

I bet he succeeded!

Even dead, the Spider's venom may still have worked its magic, just like the Red Viper's widow's blood poison that he snuck into Tywin's breakfast marked Tywin as a dead man shitting even after the Viper had himself perished beneath the Mountain.

Spiders and snakes, who'd've thunk it?

4 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Prince Doran would never have agreed to that for his sister. The High Septon can do what he pleases, and there was enough time to have arranged for Elia's children to be left as legal issue even if she was herself granted a divorce. 

Yes but in order for jon to be a targ they have to accept that rhegar did this.

4 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

Yes but in order for jon to be a targ they have to accept that rhegar did this.

And with how poorly this show is written, we will never find out for sure. 

As far as the issue in question though, we ABSOLUTELY know that the Targs have allowed polygamy in their dynasty so it is VERY possible that Elia and her children were still legal and recognized and Lyanna and Jon/Aegon were as well.

1 hour ago, funpig said:

I had to re-watch the Varys scenes several times.  I really want to know who he was writing to. 

Probably writing to his partner in plots, Illyrio Mopatis. Information was everything to Varys and Illyrio.

Vary's hasn't been referred to as the Master of Whispers for a long time, but they made a point for Tyrion to call him that. Traditionally that title for the person who was listening to all the whispers but I think they've flipped it on it's head this time and he's doing all the whispering behind Dany's back. i.e telling all the houses than Jon is the true ruler and that he's worthy of the role.

Archived