Varys' Letters

darmody

On 5/13/2019 at 12:47 PM, snow is the man said:

Why? In order for jon to be a targ it has to mean that rhegar anulled his marriage to his dornish wife and made his children into bastards. Why would they follow him

This is why I've never liked this plot point. The show pretends that the truth has to be hushed up, because everyone will insist on Jon being king if it gets out. Based on what? We watched Joffrey continue to rule, because there was not sufficient evidence to convince enough people that he wasn't Robert's son. When people have believed something for years, a scrap of paper won't automatically change their minds. 

It has been a widespread belief in Westeros for 20 years that Rhaeger kidnapped and raped Lyanna Stark. It has also been a widespread belief that only 2 Targaryen children survived the extinction of their family line. Now they want the opinions of millions to change based on a greenseer and a line from a dead maester's journal. They want people to believe this this couple ran off willingly and had a child raised in secret; they want people to believe that this grand deception was perpetrated by a man who was believed to always be honest (Ned Stark). I find it difficult to accept that many people will change a view they held to be common knowledge, based on this little evidence. 

Maybe the jewelry is meant as payment to bring the first three letters to their destination while Varys suffers his execution. Are his birds (!) that loyal? There was that line about rewards for greater risks.

Dorne, Pyke and Riverrun are my guess, or parts of Essos. I expect that Jon flies deep into the North with Daenerys ' dragon to deprive her of that weapon of mass destruction. Since King's Landing's walls are destroyed now, it's easy to threaten the queen and let the people turn against her.

Plus, the unsend letter remained in Dragonstone, the seat of power Daenerys had just abandoned.

23 minutes ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Sure, Varys is the kind to reward a little bird. He is also the kind to set a chain of subtle events into motion with a subtle signal in the event of his death, which he anticipated.

...which begs the question, how did he suddenly commit the monumental blunders that resulted in his execution?  He's way smarter and sneakier than that. The Spider, the Master of Whispers, would never have been so careless. I don't believe the D's ever really read the books.

11 hours ago, Lady Dayne said:

...which begs the question, how did he suddenly commit the monumental blunders that resulted in his execution?  He's way smarter and sneakier than that. The Spider, the Master of Whispers, would never have been so careless. I don't believe the D's ever really read the books.

It's problematic for sure.  Varys was the kind of person to have an escape plan that involved a secret passage and a boat. Oh yeah he did that already when he saved Tyrion.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an afterthought. Varys' execution could have been played slightly differently and explained a lot. The revised scene begins with a short, hooded figure standing beside Daenerys. Naturally we assume it is Tyrion, but when she nods slightly to the side, Tyrion appears from the shadows. He walks up to Varys and takes his arm. “It wasn’t me,” he says. Varys replies, “Yes, I know, old friend.”  Varys looks up. The camera follows his gaze to the hooded figure. “It was a little bird.” The figure drops the hood. It is the girl from the kitchens. She smiles.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:20 PM, Lorathi said:

This is why I've never liked this plot point. The show pretends that the truth has to be hushed up, because everyone will insist on Jon being king if it gets out. Based on what? We watched Joffrey continue to rule, because there was not sufficient evidence to convince enough people that he wasn't Robert's son. When people have believed something for years, a scrap of paper won't automatically change their minds. 

It has been a widespread belief in Westeros for 20 years that Rhaeger kidnapped and raped Lyanna Stark. It has also been a widespread belief that only 2 Targaryen children survived the extinction of their family line. Now they want the opinions of millions to change based on a greenseer and a line from a dead maester's journal. They want people to believe this this couple ran off willingly and had a child raised in secret; they want people to believe that this grand deception was perpetrated by a man who was believed to always be honest (Ned Stark). I find it difficult to accept that many people will change a view they held to be common knowledge, based on this little evidence. 

Thing is, it might open an avenue for a lot of things. People will use it for their own purposes, even if they do not believe it to be true.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately it seems like only Varys' letters to the Summer Islands and Tormund were sent out. To which neither could read the letter (or the Summer Islanders simply did not care and carried on their lives).

Archived