Varys' Letters

darmody

2 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Oh right, his 'quite big now sparrow'. Who to though - surely Sansa has put the word about everywhere north of Dragonstone by now?

Hmmm on the one hand telling Tyrion guaranteed it would get out, sending ravens from your maester puts your hand on it. So possibly not.

2 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

I took it he was sending word to all the remaining houses one by one. he managed to send the first one off with the young girl but had to burn the second letter when he heard the unsullied approaching before his death.

Wonder why he took his jewellery off before hand ? 

I think the jewelry is a signal for someone, a little bird perhaps.

I wonder too if Varys got at least one message out. If he did it will be copied and sent around.

2 minutes ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

I think the jewelry is a signal for someone, a little bird perhaps.

I wonder too if Varys got at least one message out. If he did it will be copied and sent around.

I think the letter he gave the girl got out... well that's if the girl got out or was killed during the siege, either way I don't think his letters are as vital now... no doubt word has spread of what Dany has done and Jon will take up arms against her anyways.

Just now, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

I think the letter he gave the girl got out... well that's if the girl got out or was killed during the siege, either way I don't think his letters are as vital now... no doubt word has spread of what Dany has done and Jon will take up arms against her anyways.

It's important that they know the truth about Jon's parents.

Just now, martianmister said:

It's important that they know the truth about Jon's parents.

True but I think the letters were being sent due to the coverup as anyone that knew was either hiding it or not wanting to acknowledge it due to loyalty to Dany.

Now that Dany has gone Apesh*t I have no doubt all that know will be making a point of letting everyone know as they take up arms against her.

His letters were needed when Dany still had loyalty and people keeping it hush hush,

7 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

They were on Dragonstone at the time.

I think it is pretty clear that a large number of messages got out. So Dorne and the Iron Islands will know the truth next episode. 

12 minutes ago, hallam said:

I think it is pretty clear that a large number of messages got out. So Dorne and the Iron Islands will know the truth next episode. 

yes they met on Dragonstone, but from the conversation I took it the girl was a cook in kingslanding spying… and was being watched all the time by KL guards etc... I might be way off with this though.

I just didn't see any reason for her to be watched by Dany's men as she didn't suspect Varys at this point.. when Tyrion told her she had been betrayed she automatically jumped to it being Jon.

3 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Oh right, his 'quite big now sparrow'. Who to though - surely Sansa has put the word about everywhere north of Dragonstone by now?

Sansa didn't tell anyone except Tyrion.

Her goal was not to launch an immediate rebellion herself, but to give the chance to those close to Dany to be the judge of whether the information should get out, and what else should be done with it.

9 hours ago, Erkan12 said:

He sent the first letter to Dorne I hope, they have the fresh army and a reason to follow a Targaryen.

You mean follow the son of a guy who abandoned his Dornish wife and rendered his half-Dornish children bastards before they were killed shortly thereafter? And to add insult to injury, Jon has the same name as the boy bastard. 

6 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

I just didn't see any reason for her to be watched by Dany's men as she didn't suspect Varys at this point.. when Tyrion told her she had been betrayed she automatically jumped to it being Jon.

Yes, in the sense that Jon told Sansa, which set the train of events in motion. I imagine she was having the entire court watched after the demise of the great Miss Sandy. 

7 hours ago, hallam said:

As others have already mentioned, it's highly unlikely Dorne would join Team Jon, and the Iron Islands have no reason to turn against Dany, regardless of what happened at KL.  Yara and her men are all that remains of the Iron born, and Dany agreed to let Yara rule the Iron Islands as an independent kingdom as long as they stopped raiding in the 7 kingdoms. Jon and company are on their own now.

I've been obsessed by the questions to whom Varys was writing.  Like, who is left to write to?  Dorne is to laff, as I mentioned in another topic. Also, the ring removal.

Wasn't the not so little sparrow speaking of Daenerys herself, who isn't sleeping or eating?

RIP Varys, who was probably my favorite character, along with Jorah -- which doesn't mean much.  I mean, really, I never much gave a damn beyond the social phenomenon that this show has been.  That is fascinating!

9 minutes ago, Lady Dayne said:

As others have already mentioned, it's highly unlikely Dorne would join Team Jon, 

I agree it's unlikely, but what if he told them he didn't want the throne? Perhaps he'll make a deal with the currently unnamed Prince of Dorne, or perhaps Dany will, or perhaps he'll remain unnamed and not matter at all.

10 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

I did wonder what the point of his missive was - I don't see any maester or ravens at Dragonstone. Was he going to email it?

^This haha

Based on how things work in the show now, I'd say he was just going to throw the letters out of the window and the breeze would distribute them to every corner of Westeros in a matter of minutes...

9 minutes ago, Red Dragon10 said:

CrypticWeirwood said in another thread that the reason Varys took off his rings is so that the messages he sent out to the lords of Westeros can be compared to his signet ring for authenticity even after his death. 

That is a very good point. But if Dany knows they are there, she will likely have them hidden or destroyed.

Also, everyone seems to be assuming that the people of Westeros will accept the truth of Jon's parentage without question. I don't see that happening, given the sources.

10 hours ago, Erkan12 said:

He sent the first letter to Dorne I hope, they have the fresh army and a reason to follow a Targaryen.

Why? In order for jon to be a targ it has to mean that rhegar anulled his marriage to his dornish wife and made his children into bastards. Why would they follow him

Archived