So how/will that go down in the books?

TeethGrinder

I think the burning/destruction  of Kings Landing is way too big a point for the showrunners to just invent. I think that turn from Dany, one of the two main characters is way too significant to not be a part of the book layout they recieved.

So how will it go down?

It felt very forced in the show. Cheap even that Dany suddenly snapped. Obviously the books will have more time to flesh it out but I think the circumstances will be significantly different.

I think the people of Kings Landing & Westeros will reject Dany. They’ll love fAegon instead, and watching them worship him using her name, on top of all the betrayal’s she’s destined to have will be enough to push her over the top. Especially if she’s already saved them or attempted to save them from the Others. She will see it as another betrayal from the people.

This was the most staggering part of her turn in the show. She had no reason at all to burn the civilians. There’s not even loose tie between them and Cersei or even them and Jon. They don’t care for her and don’t know who he is. Even someone evil should be relatively indifferent to their fate. If her goal is for them to fear her I think burning the Red Keep would have been enough.

19 minutes ago, TeethGrinder said:

I think the burning/destruction  of Kings Landing is way too big a point for the showrunners to just invent. I think that turn from Dany, one of the two main characters is way too significant to not be a part of the book layout they recieved.

So how will it go down?

It felt very forced in the show. Cheap even that Dany suddenly snapped. Obviously the books will have more time to flesh it out but I think the circumstances will be significantly different.

I think the people of Kings Landing & Westeros will reject Dany. They’ll love fAegon instead, and watching them worship him using her name, on top of all the betrayal’s she’s destined to have will be enough to push her over the top. Especially if she’s already saved them or attempted to save them from the Others. She will see it as another betrayal from the people.

This was the most staggering part of her turn in the show. She had no reason at all to burn the civilians. There’s not even loose tie between them and Cersei or even them and Jon. They don’t care for her and don’t know who he is. Even someone evil should be relatively indifferent to their fate. If her goal is for them to fear her I think burning the Red Keep would have been enough.

BURN THEM ALL!!

I guess by burning everyone in KL prevents any complications in the takeover... amongst those innocent civilians are Cersei's army.. torching everyone leaves no chance of any retaliation, that and she the crazy switch flipped at that point with the bells... maybe she heard them the day her father was killed and it brought back memories of the sacking of kings landing PTSD.

24 minutes ago, TeethGrinder said:

burning/destruction  of Kings Landing is way too big a point for the showrunners to just invent.

This issue will be extremely close to the book.

The forshadowing of Daenerys turning mad was immense and this storyline makes a lot of sense. This is GRRM's writing and not a show issue.

24 minutes ago, TeethGrinder said:

It felt very forced in the show.

It didn't feel forced to me. It was just a little bit rushed. They should have made 10 episodes.

Daenerys realised in the Jon/Dany kissing scene that the people doesn't love her and never will. She is just an outsider. No matter whether she conquers King's Landing or not, she will never be the loved, respected, hailed queen. She also realises that Jon's and her true mutual love will never be consummated again, because despite his true love he cannot kiss her back, most probably because of the aunt/nephew issue.

1 minute ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

BURN THEM ALL!!

I guess by burning everyone in KL prevents any complications in the takeover... amongst those innocent civilians are Cersei's army.. torching everyone leaves no chance of any retaliation, that and she the crazy switch flipped at that point with the bells... maybe she heard them the day her father was killed and it brought back memories of the sacking of kings landing PTSD.

An army that had surrendered itself to her.

She could have burned them all separately if that was her goal. 

Their obviously trying to portray it as an act of insanity but at least with Aerys there was some justification to his paranoia, the people were against him.

There was no reason for Dany to feel anything for the people of KL. They hadn’t rejected her in any sense.

4 minutes ago, TeethGrinder said:

An army that had surrendered itself to her.

She could have burned them all separately if that was her goal. 

Their obviously trying to portray it as an act of insanity but at least with Aerys there was some justification to his paranoia, the people were against him.

There was no reason for Dany to feel anything for the people of KL. They hadn’t rejected her in any sense.

I wasn't going for the people turning on her, more her remembering how the people of KL cheered as her father was overthrown while she and her brother were carted off to Essos, possibly the bell sounding brought back those memories and ignited a rage towards KL and it's people.. all of them.

8 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

I wasn't going for the people turning on her, more her remembering how the people of KL cheered as her father was overthrown while she and her brother were carted off to Essos, possibly the bell sounding brought back those memories and ignited a rage towards KL and it's people.. all of them.

See I would have loved to see a call back to that when she was with Tyrion. Would have given the moment a little more meaning.

A lot has been foreshadowed for KL:

Griff and the potential Greyscale outbreak.
Wildfire caches still hidden around and a triggerhappy Cersei.
Euron and his Godking ambitions.
Dany and her 'Fire and Blood' mantra.

Not all of those things will happen but it's fairly obvious a tragedy/s will befell KL.

Dany becoming a mad queen is definitely going to happen in the books. People are acting as it is a 180-degree turn for her character but it is not, there have been hints about it forever.

KL will burn. I still think that in the books Cersei will try to burn it too or something like that though (in the way "if I can't have the city, she won't have it either").

I suppose that Cleganebowl will happen in a way but I expect Sandor to survive it.

I don't think Jaime and Cersei will die this way. I can see Jaime killing Cersei and then he is killed by debris but the two hugging and crying while killed by collapsing walls? Nope.

2 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

People are acting as it is a 180-degree turn for her character but it is not, there have been hints about it forever.

True.

2 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Dany becoming a mad queen is definitely going to happen in the books.

Of course. This is one of the central storylines of the books and series as well. People need to grow up and are to used to Disney nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I don't think Jaime and Cersei will die this way. I can see Jaime killing Cersei and then he is killed by debris but the two hugging and crying while killed by collapsing walls? Nope.

That was strange, but a welcome anti-climax. She dies in a way so simple, so useless, and she sees it coming. I like it. But I could live with it if it is different in the books.

I think the destruction of King's Landing will unfold relatively the same in the books. In her last chapter, in A Dance with Dragons, Martin puts too much accent on her memory of Jorah telling her how dragons don't plant trees.

2 minutes ago, divica said:

There is no clue anywhere that Danny will kill thousands of innocents for no reason. Has anyone that saw the show or read the books think she will burn children? 

It's about snapping not about deliberate actions.

There were enough scenes like Tyrion warning her about "You don't want to be the Queen of Ashes". There were scenes of her mass punishments intentions, about attacking King's Landing with three dragons and burn it down in S7.

Her advisers had to work hard to calm her down.

Just now, Kajjo said:

It's about snapping not about deliberate actions.

There were enough scenes like Tyrion warning her about "You don't want to be the Queen of Ashes". There were scenes of her mass punishments intentions, about attacking King's Landing with three dragons and burn it down in S7.

Her advisers had to work hard to calm her down.

She wanted to burn the red keep to kill Cersei. 

In the Ep she had won! The city surrendered. She has no reason to burn innocent children and women. 

7 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

It might not. We know story will be much different. 

Wrong. Simply wrong.

GRRM and DD promised the fundamental issues will be the same. Details will be different.

Daenerys snapping and destroying King's Landing is fundamental. Don't hold false hopes. Be realistic. 

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

No matter whether she conquers King's Landing or not, she will never be the loved, respected, hailed queen.

She could simply earn their love by being a good queen. 

5 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Wrong. Simply wrong.

GRRM and DD promised the fundamental issues will be the same. Details will be different.

Daenerys snapping and destroying King's Landing is fundamental. Don't hold false hopes. Be realistic. 

D&D have no say in books story. And we all know we can trust GRRM as much as Lord Baelish. He keeps contradicting himself when asked about it. 

1 minute ago, Nudu said:

She could simply earn their love by being a good queen. 

Yes, she could. And a sane and less "all or nothing" person might try to.

But remember the wake feast scene in E4. All people hailing Jon for being such a commander, such a dragon rider, for having died and resurrected, calling him the perfect King, all cheerful and happy. Jon is it.

She sits there alone, lonely, frustrated. She tried. She did not make them love her. She is an outsider and will always be.

She snaps because Targaryens minds tend to snap if they don't get what they want. They turn mad, they are not mad all the time.

Archived