Daenerys: Analysis of psychology and foreshadowing

Kajjo

1 minute ago, Forlong the Fat said:

You clearly have no idea what insanity is.

And you clearly have that memory hole problem  from momento.

her insanity has never allowed her to attack innocent people. The opposite in fact, as she has gone out of her way to help them.

1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

A bit maybe, but here several watchers are too much fanboys and dreamers.

The show was excellent and doing a mild foreshadowing and no one in his right mind expected Daenerys to be on the Iron Throne in the end.

I never expected two Targs on the throne for sure. But I never thought that Dany was the one to go and not Jon. 

And even if my wildest dreams, Dany wasn't going mad. I pictured her dying of different reasons. But not the one we are expecting.

She had a better potential at dying semi-heroic way. And making the show a real bittersweet ending.

But how can this be bittersweet? 

Lannister's? all gone (the mains). 
Mormont? all gone. 

Starks? three of them aren't really Starks anymore, and Sansa lost all the principles that made a Stark.

Targaryen? Dany is dying, she is the only one that had esteem for her family. Jon doesn't really give a shit. 

Do we keep going? 

24 minutes ago, tallTale said:

I can’t believe so many people are discounting how many times Daeny has shown restraint, compassion, and intelligence in her story. It’s shocking to me ! 

she has only shown no mercy to her military targets, she has never been blood thirsty to the point that she would willingly slaughter help less civilians. She actually chains her dragons away at one point for an accidental kill an of a civilian.

The show runners are so desperate to show her as crazy that they made her roast innocent civilians running away, in a battle she had already won. I will never accept that after the numerous times Daeny has shown her moral character. 

You made my day. You are so right! 

1 minute ago, tallTale said:

And you clearly have that memory hole problem  from momento.

her insanity has never allowed her to attack innocent people. The opposite in fact, as she has gone out of her way to help them.

Are you actually unaware of the fact that a person can be sane at one point and insane at a later point?

4 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Are you actually unaware of the fact that a person can be sane at one point and insane at a later point?

Sure. But we have enough  data on her moral character and her psyche  to make a basis statement for who she is. I can’t agree that she would target innocent civilians base on the available evidence.

2 minutes ago, Targaryen Peas said:

But how can this be bittersweet? 

That's an interesting question. I really look forward to watching the final episode.

2 minutes ago, Targaryen Peas said:

Starks? three of them aren't really Starks anymore, and Sansa lost all the principles that made a Stark.

Arya and Sansa are 100% Stark. Please stop this "on one" babble about Arya. She is portrayed very Stark-ish in S7 and S8.

Of course, the "bastard Jon Snow" turned into a Targaryen heir and Bran is the three-eyed raven now. I agree so far. But Jon Snow behaves more Stark-ish and like a Targaryan. He is half-half. Not only Targaryen. Every person is half-half. Arya and Sansa are half Tully. All this 100% ancestry babble is worth nothing.

4 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

This. True.

14 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

She wasn’t insane then. 

What does insane mean? Today there is no thing as going insane in a general sense. All these mental disorders have names and also underlying causes be it the genes or extreme conditions. But they always manifest themselves with several symptoms all along or through a persons behavior. They are not invisible until the “bells” ring. 

People that have mental disorders with all respect are in a way “enslaved” to the disorder. They don’t have a choice over their condition.

Danny is either insane all along but the show failed to show it And it’s her mental disorder that dictates her actions and we are also insane for not seeing it, or she isn’t insane and the mass killing is totally out of her character as the city had fallen.  Wanting to portray her as mad and losing her sanity, I understand it but it doesn’t work that way especially after a good event: the city had surrendered.

Sure. But we have enough  data on her moral character and her psyche  to make a basis statement for who she is. I can’t agree that she would target innocent civilians base on the available evidence.

When people are insane they think and do things they wouldn’t do if they were sane. That’s how we know they are insane. 

1 minute ago, Nightwish said:

What does insane mean? Today there is no thing as going insane in a general sense. All these mental disorders have names and also underlying causes be it the genes or extreme conditions. But they always manifest themselves with several symptoms all along or through a persons behavior. They are not invisible until the “bells” ring. 

People that have mental disorders with all respect are in a way “enslaved” to the disorder. They don’t have a choice over their condition.

Danny is either insane all along but the show failed to show it, or we are insane for not seeing it, or she isn’t insane and the mass killing is totally out of her character as the city had surrounded. Wanting to portray her as mad and losing her sanity, I understand it but it doesn’t work that way especially after a good event: the city had surrendered.

Or she became insane recently as a result of loss, grief, and trauma. Like if she just saw loved ones killed in front of her then learned her love is her nephew and doesn’t love her, among other things. 

1 minute ago, Forlong the Fat said:

When people are insane they think and do things they wouldn’t do if they were sane. That’s how we know they are insane. 

Based on every interaction up to this point, she has acted out her murderous insanity on military targets and leaders.

2 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Or she became insane recently as a result of loss, grief, and trauma. Like if she just saw loved ones killed in front of her then learned her love is her nephew and doesn’t love her, among other things. 

Yes.

It is very clear, what made her snap. She achieved the goal to conquer King's Landing, but there is nothing else in live now to cling to. Jon won't consummate their mutural love, the Westerosi will not love her and many close to her betrayed her. Jon, Varys, Tyrion, Sansa... 

Daenerys is frustrated, deperate, lonesome, full of anger, fury, rage, grief, disappointment. She snaps. She kills those who won't love her. This is not about reason but about madness after all.

6 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

So what’s her mental disorder? I know what the script tries to show but insanity is not a vague thing and mental disorders just don’t work this way. 

Just now, Kajjo said:

It her incestuous ancestry that created a tendency to snap at certain circumstance normal people would be able to cope with.

Let’s keep it show only for now, which targ family member saved millions of people up until a moment they snapped and killed innocent people? If you say her father, we really don’t know his upbringing well enough to know how he acted growing up.

Point is her rage has always been acted on upon her enemies, and she has shown great compassion for the civilian population. 

Let’s try a philosophical question: if she acted the same when she was insane as she did when she was sane, how could we know when she was insane?

2 minutes ago, tallTale said:

Let’s keep it show only for now

Of course this is show-only.

We heard the aphorism "When a Targaryen is born the Gods throw a dice" before. We were warned. We also know the incestuous ancestry in the show. We know her father snapped and wanted to "burn them all".

These three points are enough to make it believable, clearly foreshadowed and a reasonable storyline.

Archived