Arya and Sandor, perfect scenes

Kajjo

I so much appreciate how they handled the Arya/Sandor arc in E5. Do you like it as well? 

Sandor being so protective and honest with her. "Look at me. Do you want become like me?" touching her neck, making her not sacrifice her life. Being honest to himself that he wasted his life for revenge instead of following his own dreams anyway, despite his hardship in the childhood. Sandor realises that Arya is on his path and this is just great. He is so gentle in his rough manner, so caring and there are two souls that a partly alike, but his is lost and Arya's isn't. I like both parts of it: Sandor realising he wasted his life and telling Arya not to. To finally protect her once more.

They clearly portrayed Arya turning into a revenge-driven person. Eating at Hot Pie's she pretty much behaved like Sandor. Rough eating, focused on revenge and killing. The Sandor/Arya scenes in E1 and E2 were careful, foreshadowing, nicely done. I was not sure whether she would follow his path or reach a turning point. I am glad Sandor reached the point for her. 

I appreciate her considering his words. Realising the truth in it. Saying thank you so honestly, plainly, not a woman of many words, but with a lot of meaning. They depart, knowing they won't see each other again. Two true lone warriors. 

Sandor somehow gives her her pep talk for her whole life. Let's hope she understood the lesson.

Sandor to Arya: "Look at me? You wanna be like me? You come with me, you die here." 
Arya to Sandor: "Thank you" 

I believe this to be the next turning points of Arya's arc. She is so vicious when Sandor tries to hold her back, so determined on killing Cersei, of potentially sacrificing herself, and this scene is so touching and so full of meaning -- even for the real life in general. 

5 minutes ago, Bran Snow said:

Do you think its the first time someone one has said thank you to Sandor?

More or less, yes. Come one, the point was a different one.

This scene is the conclusion of Sandor's arc. A man driven by revenge and no realizing he wasted his live. He saves Arya, he doesn't want her to become like him. And she has been on this path quite strongly. All the bitterness. All being driven be revenge. Being loners. 

Concluding the Sandor/Arya arc int his way is just great.

What I like about the "Thank you!" is the quietness and intensity of it being said. Of Arya living through a turning point of her arc with that "Thank you". She was so vicious seconds before and allows him to hold her neck, to give her advice. This is so touching.

I thought the Sandor Arya scene was complete shit to be honest.  You walk your sorry ass all the way from Winterfell, somehow get to the throne room untouched or stopped by no 1, then to have 3 lines of dialogue for Arya to be like, whoops yea I'm making a mistake here.  Little late to have this conversation Sandor, don't you think?  I know people LOVE these characters, and I truly do, in the books that is, but this caricature of them is honestly complete shit.  They are so one note with no internal struggle that it is honestly completely flat and boring, not to mention they can only rehash these phrases or quips so much before it just gets forced.  Truth be told, this season has been a colossal failure in my eyes on all fronts.   The characters are what made this show so popular for me, and w/o Georges books, they just had no clue how to keep them true and organic.  

2 minutes ago, Howland Reed said:

I thought the Sandor Arya scene was complete shit to be honest.  You walk your sorry ass all the way from Winterfell, somehow get to the throne room untouched or stopped by no 1, then to have 3 lines of dialogue for Arya to be like, whoops yea I'm making a mistake here.  Little late to have this conversation Sandor, don't you think?  I know people LOVE these characters, and I truly do, in the books that is, but this caricature of them is honestly complete shit.  They are so one note with no internal struggle that it is honestly completely flat and boring, not to mention they can only rehash these phrases or quips so much before it just gets forced.  Truth be told, this season has been a colossal failure in my eyes on all fronts.   The characters are what made this show so popular for me, and w/o Georges books, they just had no clue how to keep them true and organic.  

Arya's plan to dispatch of the queen became unnecessary when the Drogon was unleashed.  They needed Arya to be in the Red Keep to show us the struggle from the heart of Kingslanding.  Arya was the perfect focal point for this.  It may have also been at this point that she realized who the real threat was and it was more important to fight another day than to check another name off the list.

3 minutes ago, Howland Reed said:

then to have 3 lines of dialogue for Arya to be like, whoops yea I'm making a mistake here.

It's the whole arc of Sandor and Arya culminating here. They have so much history together. She knows about his life being wasted for his fixation on revenge, about his bitterness, his roughness -- and they actually have a tender moment, a little bit like father and daughter.

The spark of insight does not need long talks. It come with a flash. Arya realizes that Sandor is right. That bitterness and revenge is not a way to make her life count most. That Cersei will die anyway. 

Arya somehow adapted the path of bitterness and loneliness the Hound showed her. They spend two years together. Not pleasant. 

Arya allows the Hound to be gentle, caring, they lock eyes. She has the spark of insight, of understanding, of seeing the truth in his words. Hi knows he wasted his life. She understands he did. 

2 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

They needed Arya to be in the Red Keep to show us the struggle from the heart of Kingslanding. 

Which they did so well through her eyes. Great escape scenes with so much focus on the suffering, on common people and we could sympathize because we care for Arya. She was the anchor for very drastic war scenes. People holding burned corpses of the loved one. These scenes are epic. Well done. Showing the cruelty of war, very bluntly, not just playing for effect, but with some depth. 

4 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

It may have also been at this point that she realized who the real threat was and it was more important to fight another day than to check another name off the list.

Maybe so, yes. And probably also realising, as the Hound told her, that Cersei will die anyway. Death is death.

Archived