the death of Jaime and Cersei & prophecies

Nerevanin

3 hours ago, Laguna said:

It's even "worse" in German. We literally have different gender words like duke/duchess or actor/actress for EVERYONE. Even something like "chimney sweepress". (sorry for being off-topic)

LOL

it's cool

I didn't know that though. Makes sense given the connection between English and German. I imagine that noun cases makes everything harder

If the prophecies exist in show, they have been ignored completely. Could also be a subvert expectations thing, like prophecies are bullshit people or without any explanation.

Personally I dont like prophecies, they are like time travelling and deterministic. An exception could be made for the Lord of Light, but that is not the case here.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:00 PM, Nerevanin said:

I'm pretty sure they're dead. We saw how some hundreds of kilos of stones were crumbling on them. I think that their heads were smashed like eggs and they were dead in a moment.

One (linguistic) question: if you wanted to say that line in a gender neutral way in English, what would you say? "Its hands"? "Their hands?" Or you'd change the structure of the sentence like "the hands of valonquar"? I'm just curious. Btw, in my mother tongue, that line would be translated as "...valonquar obtočí své ruce..." and it's ambiguous if the valonquar is male or female.

Well, you're right. It could be a gender neutral expression. I would have translated it "the hands of the valoqar" or simply "the valonqar will wrap the hands...", even if this last sentence doesn't sound very well. The point is that, in my opinion that may of course be wrong, if the valonqar were a female the prophecy would have semply used "her". I think that "his" is a hint by GRRM. But than again, that's speculation. I can't wait for Winds!

Archived