GRRM and the 3 twist.

Coffeewiththegods

D&D have spoken about the 3 twist that GRRM gave them. One being the Shireen burning, the second being the hold the door thing, and they’ve always said the 3rd one was a pretty big one...so is it safe to say that this is the 3rd “twist” that GRRM gifted D&D with?  Of course it’ll most likely be executed better in the books but it seems like this is it.

29 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

D&D have spoken about the 3 twist that GRRM gave them. One being the Shireen burning, the second being the hold the door thing, and they’ve always said the 3rd one was a pretty big one...so is it safe to say that this is the 3rd “twist” that GRRM gifted D&D with?  Of course it’ll most likely be executed better in the books but it seems like this is it.

Yes, I would guess so.

Daenerys snapping and turning into the Mad Queen can  be the third shocker. We will see... whether there is a more shocking moment in E6.

3 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Yes, I would guess so.

Daenerys snapping and turning into the Mad Queen can  be the third shocker. We will see... whether there is a more shocking moment in E6.

It could be that Jon is seeing the realm needs him, changes his view towards being the king.

1 minute ago, Erkan12 said:

It could be that Jon is seeing the realm needs him, changes his view towards being the king.

This can happen, but is not a shocker. If we see the confirmed two shockers "Shireen burning at the stake" and "Hodor" then "Daenerys turning mad" can be the third shocker. For me this fits.

However, we should wait whether Jon kills Daenerys or something like that. We have one episode to go.

1 minute ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

It's obviously this. Hopefully the books, if and when they are published, will do a little bit better of a job setting it up, though.

The whole season is a bit rushed, yes.

But they set up Daenerys' utter frustration, hopelessness, goals in life breaking away, multiple betrayals, unreciprocated affections of Jon and so on. This is so believable. 

1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

The whole season is a bit rushed, yes.

But they set up Daenerys' utter frustration, hopelessness, goals in life breaking away, multiple betrayals, unreciprocated affections of Jon and so on. This is so believable. 

It's only believable in the way that if you have all the necessary building materials, it's believable that you could build a house. However, it takes more than that to actually build it. The show didn't put in the work, and it shows in how the episode is being received, both by long-time ASOIAF fans and by viewers in general. I mean, I've never seen an "Inside the Episode" video on Youtube get so many dislikes, and I don't think it's because people just didn't want Dany to be the bad guy. It's that they didn't sell her turn.

I suppose that Dany going mad fits it. To me it was very predictable but apparently a lot of people didn't see it coming, so it probably can be classified as "twist".

11 minutes ago, martianmister said:

I never understand this 3 twist thing. Did he not tell them anything else about the plot of future books? Then how could D&D follow the book's storylines?

They didn't though. Or only partly. There are tons of book plots that were completely omitted from the show and there were others that were very changed (for example Sansa marrying Ramsay).

Anyway, I imagine it as GRRM told them the main events (although these events weren't necessary "twists") but D&D had to come up with their way to get to them.

1 minute ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

just didn't want Dany to be the bad guy

Oh yes, it is. All the fanboys are disappointed, mostly those who never invested enough efforts in understanding all the foreshadowing scenes.

2 minutes ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

t's that they didn't sell her turn.

They sold it well, in ALL seasons from S1 to S8. 

They made it very clear with all the betrayals, no love, loners. Very clear.

Just now, Kajjo said:

Oh yes, it is. All the fanboys are disappointed, mostly those who never invested enough efforts in understanding all the foreshadowing scenes.

They sold it well, in ALL seasons from S1 to S8. 

They made it very clear with all the betrayals, no love, loners. Very clear.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. If you want to blame the viewers, well, feel free.

I think they foreshadowed Dany's future madness but this season has been so fast on plot (in a rush to finish much D&D?) that there was no motive for her to turn crazy like that. All we got was some facial expressions and then she burns everything. I'm supposed to believe Jon no longer wanting to sex up his aunt made her burn innocent people? She's just mad at her boyfriend? The character development this whole season has been lazy and you can't tell me otherwise. 

14 minutes ago, SandSnark said:

I think they foreshadowed Dany's future madness but this season has been so fast on plot (in a rush to finish much D&D?) that there was no motive for her to turn crazy like that. All we got was some facial expressions and then she burns everything. I'm supposed to believe Jon no longer wanting to sex up his aunt made her burn innocent people? She's just mad at her boyfriend? The character development this whole season has been lazy and you can't tell me otherwise. 

I think there has been a reasonable amount of motive. She has lost 2 key friends (Jorah and Missendei). Sansa is openly against her. She lost 2 dragons — 1 because she trusted the plan hatched by her “advisors” to get a wight and she lost Viserion to a plan that accomplished very little, since Cersei didn’t support them. Rhaegal she lost when she let her guard down. Tyrion has repeatedly let her down with bad advice, to the point that she must be wondering if he is deliberately sabotaging her (Reminiscent of Aerys and Tywin at Duskendale.) Varys is trying to poison her via little Martha.

I do think that it could have been better acted and directed to drive home these points, but the Varys part would easily send someone over the edge after all the rest.

19 minutes ago, A Dance with Davos said:

Burning Shireen was meant to be a twist? Really?

No, the "twist" issue is a wrong quote.

They talkes about "holy shit moments". That was the phrase. And that fits to Hodor and Shireen.

3 minutes ago, nara said:

She has lost 2 key friends (Jorah and Missendei). Sansa is openly against her. She lost 2 dragons

Good points.

Lost two closest friends: Jorah and Missandei

Lost two dragons considered somehow as her children.

Lost two advisers, because of betrayal: Varys and Tyrion

Lost Jon's affection despite mutual love, feels also betrayed by him.

Lost her birthright she valued so high all her life.

No one really wants her to rule, she is not the new ruler everyone desires.

Everyone hails Jon and loves him.

She conquered King's Landing. They surrendered. 

Lost her goal in life of conquering. She was always about conquering.

Lonesome. Betrayed. Full of grief, hatred, frustration. 

Archived