Why the bells?

Nerevanin

It kinda seemed from the episode that it was the sound of the bells that provoked Dany to launch the second attack against the city.  Any theories why? Because it kinda seemed as if Dany thought "I didn't came all the way from Essos just to win in 2 minutes!"

(Note: this is NOT another "Dany going mad is unbelievable and it ruined the story" thread).

Personally, I think once she landed on that building and heard the bells something inside her snapped and she truly became mad. I mean, she could clearly see the innocent people in the city and chose to set fire to everything when she could have flew to the red keep and ended Ceresi and been done with it.

I honestly believe that she's had flashes of insanity throughout the whole show, it's just subtle but given that the whole coin toss story about Targaryens is a story told about them it was a forshadowing to just how many of the family were indeed mad (not all super crazy, but had things in them that were just... wrong)

1 hour ago, Nerevanin said:

that it was the sound of the bells that provoked Dany to launch the second attack against the city.

Listening to the bells of surrender, she realised she won the battle. Se would be queen. She achieved her goal. And then? More or less nothing.

No friends, no lover, no advisers. So much betrayal. No one loves her, no one wants her.

Viserys brainwashed little Daenerys into believing Westerosi actually are waiting for her, waiting to be freed, to be ruled by. They were supposed to love her, respect her, accept her. None of it is the case.

She felt empty. Betrayed. Hopeless. 

Cersei was a queen that didn't love her people. That wasn't loved by her people. She was hated. Daenerys didn't want that for herself.

6 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Listening to the bells of surrender, she realised she won the battle. Se would be queen. She achieved her goal. And then? More or less nothing.

No friends, no lover, no advisers. So much betrayal. No one loves her, no one wants her.

Viserys brainwashed little Daenerys into believing Westerosi actually are waiting for her, waiting to be freed, to be ruled by. They were supposed to love her, respect her, accept her. None of it is the case.

She felt empty. Betrayed. Hopeless. 

Cersei was a queen that didn't love her people. That wasn't loved by her people. She was hated. Daenerys didn't want that for herself.

So she did pretty much what she told Jon earlier. The people don't love her so fear it is, then! 

Did cersei give the order off screen? This is kind of important and separates her from Dany.

She had used the people to throw off danys attack but in the end wasn't willing to allow all those people to die to stay on the throne.

Or she had nothing to do with it and was willing to let them die.

I’m pretty sure a random Lannister soldier acted on his own accord with the bells. The episode highlights that Cersei’s army had different intentions than her. They knew they were fucked way earlier than she did. 

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

It kinda seemed from the episode that it was the sound of the bells that provoked Dany to launch the second attack against the city.  Any theories why? Because it kinda seemed as if Dany thought "I didn't came all the way from Essos just to win in 2 minutes!"

(Note: this is NOT another "Dany going mad is unbelievable and it ruined the story" thread).

She thought she wanted victory in battle, but once the bells ring and she has her victory, she realized it wasn't enough. She wanted their love, their toasts, their welcome cheers. She didn't get those and wouldn't get those. And they wouldn't weasel out of the punishment by surrendering (so, yea, I didn't came all this way to win it all in 10 mins with just 1 dragon). And then there's the fact that her being the true heir is a lie. The keep and the city, according to dynastic inheritance, belong to Jon, called Aegon, after the forebear who built the city. And she wants it for herself. So, by destroying the city and keep, Jon can't snatch it away from her either. If she builds a new city and a new keep, it's hers and hers alone.

While the show didn't incorporate the Dothraki bells, Dany very much does what Dothraki Khals do. You "pay tribute" to avoid an attack, or your city gets destroyed. There's no surrendering to Dothraki.

1 minute ago, Kaguya said:

I’m pretty sure a random Lannister soldier acted on his own accord with the bells. The episode highlights that Cersei’s army had different intentions than her. They knew they were fucked way earlier than she did. 

Agreed. She only realized it, once Dany started to attack the city anyway.

1 minute ago, sweetsunray said:

Agreed. She only realized it, once Dany started to attack the city anyway.

This is when a smart rational Cersei would have released the wildfire 

But oh no, we have to nerf Cersei to build up the ‘real’ hidden big bad Danaerys.

11 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

But oh no, we have to nerf Cersei to build up the ‘real’ hidden big bad Danaerys.

Well, I admit it was sort of satisfying to see a delusional Cersei for once, thinking, "Oh shit! This bitch is even crazier than I am".

We actually saw wildfire explosions... they looked like little puffs of smoke in comparison to what Drogon did to the city.

After rewatching the particular scene a few times, it seems to me that when the bells started to ring, Dany was kinda relieved at first but then she looked at the Red Keep and became angry. If Dany attacked only the Red Keep, I would interpret it as that she wanted to revenge Rhaegal and kill Cersei, but attacking the whole city doesn't make much sense with this interpretation.

1 hour ago, Kaguya said:

Why? What would Cersei gain from releasing wildfire?

1 hour ago, Kaguya said:

Yeah, Cersei definitely didn't make the order to ring the bells. When they started to ring, her face clearly said "oh damn, it's over, I lost"

5 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

After rewatching the particular scene a few times, it seems to me that when the bells started to ring, Dany was kinda relieved at first but then she looked at the Red Keep and became angry. If Dany attacked only the Red Keep, I would interpret it as that she wanted to revenge Rhaegal and kill Cersei, but attacking the whole city doesn't make much sense with this interpretation.

Why? What would Cersei gain from releasing wildfire?

Yeah, Cersei definitely didn't make the order to ring the bells. When they started to ring, her face clearly said "oh damn, it's over, I lost"

To go out in style and take a portion of Dany’s forces with her?

I'm still pissed AF. I'm considering only the shows.. no, ONLY THIS SEASON and still her behavior does not make sense. Why Dany didn't fly straight to the red keep? If she is mad with grief and angryness why prioritize random nameless people over the fucking CAUSE of her situation? Cersei is the one that defyes her, lied to her, killed her dragon, killed her friend, Cersei is the one who sits on her throne. And yet she avoided the Red Keep (which was 110% defenseless the whole episode) as much as possible.

Archived