Why the bells?

Nerevanin

BTW Cersei didn't move a finger with Wildfire... it was stablished previously that the cases of the product are stashed all along the city in subterranean chambers. So they would explode even with a regular siege. That's why Tyrion decided to move as much as possible to the Blackwater in season 2.

2 minutes ago, Saturno said:

And yet she avoided the Red Keep (which was 110% defenseless the whole episode) as much as possible.

What do you mean she avoided the Red Keep as much as possible? The Red Keep is a blasted ruin.

6 minutes ago, Saturno said:

I'm still pissed AF. I'm considering only the shows.. no, ONLY THIS SEASON and still her behavior does not make sense. Why Dany didn't fly straight to the red keep? If she is mad with grief and angryness why prioritize random nameless people over the fucking CAUSE of her situation? Cersei is the one that defyes her, lied to her, killed her dragon, killed her friend, Cersei is the one who sits on her throne. And yet she avoided the Red Keep (which was 110% defenseless the whole episode) as much as possible.

She said why earlier. She considers the people traitors for not rebelling against Cersei 

3 minutes ago, adiman83 said:

What do you mean she avoided the Red Keep as much as possible? The Red Keep is a blasted ruin.

Yeah but Dany started to attack the Red Keep only after the burned almost the whole city. So it almost seemed like she wanted to burn it all, or that she wanted Cersei to see that the city is destroyed (although everyone told Dany that Cersei doesn't care about smallfolk at all).

I don't think the bells themselves made her go mad. I think that she heard the bells, meaning the surrender, and just said "Oh fuck it" and continued with her destruction due to her desire to get retribution. She was full of anger and pain and I think that she lashed out by, well, burning everything.

9 minutes ago, adiman83 said:

She avoided the Red Keep during all the battle. The way the episode was written Dany was so omnipotent and Cersei was so vulnerable that Dany NOT GOING straight to Cersei can only be a plot contrivance a decision by the writers not followed by any coherence by the other elements of the show. Tell me, why do you think Dany didn't go to Cersei sooner? You will see that any answer you provide will form a circle.

"She could not get to Cersei because she was fighting the scorpions"
Wrong, the scorpions only fired at her (and very few actually tried to fire at her) because she was attacking them, from the images we can see that the scorpions were only in the outer wall of the city. While fighting Dany entered and exited the limits of the city countless times.

"She could not get to Cersei because she was helping her army"
But her army was winning, and actually she didn't even need the army to win, as we can see the Scorpions were not inside the city and they were not able to hurt her BY FAR, like they were not missing... they were USELESS... the little silhouettes of soldiers were not even manning the machines while she destroyed all with curtains of fire. Turns out that the outcome would be exactly the same even if she had no army or her army just waited outside of the city.

"She would not get to Cersei because she was mad with rage"
But her rage was CAUSED by Cersei.

"She would burn everything Cersei fought for right in front of her"
It was stablished by every character that Cersei does not care for the smallfolk, that's why she is using them as shield by letting them come to the red keep. Killing innocents does not affect Cersei. Destroying the city even less.

If burning a few walls and scorpions made the soldiers surrender imagine how quick this would be if she went straight to the RK. Just flying over the scorpions (as she did many times to circle and attack again), spit thrice on the Red Keep, ruin the castle, WIN! Innocent people killed? Yes, but MUCH LESS than what we get by burning senselessly the city.

2 minutes ago, insertname said:

In the inside the episode, d&d don't talk about the bells. They say looking at the red keep made Dany flip. Why she would then burn the whole city first instead of just going to the red keep they don't say, of course.

They also did not comment over the Iron Fleet. I guess this time it was Euron who forgot about some things...

10 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

She said why earlier. She considers the people traitors for not rebelling against Cersei 

So I'm supposed to believe that this takes precedence over killing Cersei first? No way. She could burn Cersei first and then burn the smallfolk. With Cersei it was PERSONNAL. With the smallfolk was mere ressentment.

1 minute ago, Saturno said:

So I'm supposed to believe that this takes precedence over killing Cersei first? No way. She could burn Cersei first and then burn the smallfolk. With Cersei it was PERSONNAL. With the smallfolk was mere ressentment.

This is one of many reasons why this flip did not make sense. She should have gone after Cersei first. Going after the commonfolk was pointless. It really was a plot device. 

Want Dany to kill civilians first? Okay, write that the people in the streets of KL killed Missandei... Cersei drops Missandei to be lynched by the mob. DONE, Dany's behavior is justified.

Too graphic? How about making Cersei show Dany how the people of KL hate and fear the Targaryen, calling her a witch, a foreigner, etc, etc etc. Cersei had the upper hand right? Why not show the people in the city getting over confident and actually provoking Dany in some form?

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

No one knows.

Yet another massive mistake made by D&D

there was multiple random "ring the bells!" shouts. 

At first i thought Jamie was going to do it but he went for Cersi instead, so my guess is just "random red shirt Lannister soldier guy"

6 minutes ago, Bradam said:

At first i thought Jamie was going to do it but he went for Cersi instead, so my guess is just "random red shirt Lannister soldier guy"

Yet Daenerys is somehow triggered by the bells. Even though she has been triggered, she never actually destroys the belltower.

Even though it's right there.

LOL

You know what that sounds like? It sounds like this: Frieza kills Krillin which makes Goku goes Super Saiyan. Super Saiyan Goku then proceeds to attack everyone and blow up everything except for Frieza.

Yes, even Dragon Ball Z (a tawdry and occasionally cheesy children's cartoon based on a Japanese comic book from the 1990s) had better writing than this $10,000,000 episode.

8 minutes ago, Bradam said:

Yeah, it would be even more stupid if no one rang the bell, as if only the named characters would be able to do it.

1 hour ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

The amount of poor excuses for bad writing in this thread... It's sad really...

I like to think people are just in denial. Kinda how I was in season 5. No no no, this is just a hiccup, there is actually a deeper meaning to these things I just don't see it yet.

If D&D were going to turn this ship around (and it would of been darn hard to at this point) they would have had to do it last night. Last episode is set up for a pretty bad one...

I honestly believe at one point they had a story board that said something about the bells causing Cercei to lose her mind (walk of shame) but somewhere at some point it got changed to Dany and no one gave it a second thought.  Tell me that doesn't make more sense than any in universe explanation.

I actually read the leaks about the bells before the episode and dismissed them as fake since that literally makes zero sense.  Should've known.

37 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Yeah but Dany started to attack the Red Keep only after the burned almost the whole city. So it almost seemed like she wanted to burn it all, or that she wanted Cersei to see that the city is destroyed (although everyone told Dany that Cersei doesn't care about smallfolk at all).

That is my opinion too, that she planned to burn King's Landing from the very beginning. She told Grey Worm he will know when to attack. The moment he saw the dragon wreaking havoc throughout the city, he threw the spear. This means the sign she told him about wasn't the gate, it was her burning the city.

34 minutes ago, Saturno said:

She avoided the Red Keep during all the battle. The way the episode was written Dany was so omnipotent and Cersei was so vulnerable that Dany NOT GOING straight to Cersei can only be a plot contrivance a decision by the writers not followed by any coherence by the other elements of the show. Tell me, why do you think Dany didn't go to Cersei sooner? You will see that any answer you provide will form a circle.

None of the things you wrote would be my reply to you. I think she did it at that moment because she wanted to punish Cersei. Remember what Daenerys told Jon? That there is no love for her here, so fear it is then. Long story short, her act might not have been madness, but an act of pure tyranny. She decided to live by the words of her house and be what she was always made to be: a Valyrian dragonlord.

Archived