An Intentional Bit of Humor?

Lady Dayne

Am I the only one who thought it was rather funny when the commander of the Golden Company trotted out to the front of his troops all cocky and smirking only to be obliterated moments later? It seemed to me like an intentional bit of humor in an otherwise tragic episode.

Qyburn death made me laugh too. Actually the whole thing was a joke.

So are we to believe the Hound is some sort of super soldier to wipe out the entire queens guard (bar his undead brother) in a few shakes of his sword. 

The Queens guard are supposed to be the best swordsman in the kingdom & yes he was maybe better than them but one second to dispatch 2 or 3 of them in full armour? Laughable.

6 minutes ago, Hold_the_door said:

So are we to believe the Hound is some sort of super soldier to wipe out the entire queens guard (bar his undead brother) in a few shakes of his sword. 

The Queens guard are supposed to be the best swordsman in the kingdom & yes he was maybe better than them but one second to dispatch 2 or 3 of them in full armour? Laughable.

Much like the show, the quality of the King's guard has gone down hill in book and show.  I buy the Hound easily killing the red shirts.  We're not talking about Selmy or Jamie with two hands here. 

5 minutes ago, Bud RR Martin said:

Much like the show, the quality of the King's guard has gone down hill in book and show.  I buy the Hound easily killing the red shirts.  We're not talking about Selmy or Jamie with two hands here. 

The hound was beaten by Brienne & Brienne lost whilst sparring with Arya ... so logically if the Hound can instantly dispatch 2 or 3 Queens guard (or was it more) then maybe they didn’t need an Army to beat the Lannisters, Arya could have killed them all!

1 hour ago, martianmister said:

Poor young Griff, died before showing his true colours.

:D

22 minutes ago, Hold_the_door said:

Qyburn death made me laugh too.

I didn't really laugh but my reaction was "So he's dead? OK. That was fast." I didn't care at all about his death. Or about anyone's death in the episode. Yeah, Jaime and Cersei made me more angry than sad (8 freaking seasons just to be killed by collapsing walls? FU!) but Varys' death was the only one that was at least a bit touching.

19 hours ago, Lady Dayne said:

Am I the only one who thought it was rather funny when the commander of the Golden Company trotted out to the front of his troops all cocky and smirking only to be obliterated moments later? It seemed to me like an intentional bit of humor in an otherwise tragic episode.

Yeah, a bit of humour was included and the fear-stricken Harry Strickland trying to run away.

What is more important, though, is the comparison with the very similar scene of Jon Snow opposing the incoming Ramsay army in the Battle of the Bastards.

Jon stood his ground, ready to strike, brave, valiant. Harry tried to flee.

This difference of very similar scenes was a nice flashback to the old season.

18 hours ago, Hold_the_door said:

The Hound was Kingsguard under Joffrey, don't forget. Or at least that's what Tyrion called him at the Blackwater.

He is hyped as one of the strongest fighters on the continent. We've seen him literally cut men in two with a single swing. The only thing I can't explain is how he lost to Brienne. I have to assume she's magical. 

It would be one thing if Cersei's Queensguard had a Sword of the Morning or Barristan Selmy. But the only named characters were Jaime of the Wrong Hand and Zombie Mountain. I guess we're supposed to assume all the good ones were crushed by rubble. 

17 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

:D

I didn't really laugh but my reaction was "So he's dead? OK. That was fast." I didn't care at all about his death. Or about anyone's death in the episode. Yeah, Jaime and Cersei made me more angry than sad (8 freaking seasons just to be killed by collapsing walls? FU!) but Varys' death was the only one that was at least a bit touching.

It occurred to me that Bronn at one point asked Jaime how he'd like to die, and Jaime said in the arms of his lover. So there that. 

12 minutes ago, darmody said:

and Jaime said in the arms of his lover. So there that. 

Yes, that was surely intended. Well done.

I like most of the farewell and death scenes of S8 very much. They are well done and thought-through. People moan so much, but there are really nice scenes in here.

Daenerys/Jorah, Sandor/Arya, Sandaor/Clegane, Jamie/Daenerys, Harry Strickland running away...

18 hours ago, Hold_the_door said:

The hound was beaten by Brienne & Brienne lost whilst sparring with Arya ... so logically if the Hound can instantly dispatch 2 or 3 Queens guard (or was it more) then maybe they didn’t need an Army to beat the Lannisters, Arya could have killed them all!

Brienne also beat Loras, considered the finest knight in the realm. In contrast, who was in the Kingsguard? Boros Blount. Kettleblack. Meryn Trant. Hardly the peaks of competence... And both the books and the series often play with unfounded reputation and past glory. I mean Robert used to be a jousting champion and warrior, yet by start of the story he would be more threat to himself than to anyone else. Heck, boith barristan and Jamie bemoaned the state of Kingsguard and when Barristan ragequit, he made a specific point that even at his age he would go through the remaining Kingsguard like butter. He did not speak about the Hound though.

Qyburn's death was hilarious. That made me crack up. My favorite part of the episode. Especially considering he died getting thrown onto some rocks and Arya survived several times having rocks fall on her. If only Qyburn had equipped his plot armor when heading to Maegor's Holdfast.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, Bud RR Martin said:

They are not great warriors but they must still be decent knights in plate armour. To just cut through them in the way the Hound does is stupid and would never have happened in earlier seasons when they still cared about realism and attention to detail(The things that made the series great).

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2019 at 4:10 PM, Lady Dayne said:

Sure, yes.

On 7/10/2019 at 9:42 PM, Kajjo said:

Sure, yes.

True. Also, I found it even funnier that he thought he could outrun the charging enemy despite being injured and too far ahead. He should have just accepted his fate and try to justify his salary by cutting down at least one Dothraki. 

Archived