Who liked sandor's ending.

snow is the man

6 hours ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

I've always expected he'd die killing Gregor. What I loved was that his last human act was convincing Arya not to become him.

YES, YES, YES! I thought it was a great ending for him, but sad to see him go. For him to kill a monster that was almost unkillable would have been so unbelievable.

I thought Sandor would be the one to save Arya killing Cersei for quite a while. It is the logical end for his arc.

It is also logical for Arya to go to KL to kill Cersei to save the city and then rethink when Sandor begs her not to join him. At that point there is no need for either of them to die.

I thought it a horrible tragedy that Sandor had to die in fire in order to kill the brother who had made him horribly afraid of fire.  But I'm glad he persuaded Arya to seek life instead of death (unless she tries to murder Daenerys next episode, which could happen).

I liked his ending. Also liked the fact that they both fell into flames. I've always pictured Gregor in particular as destined for a fiery death. (So now mountains actually do blow in the wind like leaves, huh?) But it absolutely makes sense to me that the hound dies with him, being so focused on revenge, and almost nothing but revenge, his whole life.

16 hours ago, snow is the man said:

I really wished he would have survived but the fact that it had him save arya was great and had his redemption arc play out well.

The Sandor/Arya scene was one of the best of the entire series. I appreciate this scene very much. Turning points for two important characters, a very nice arc for Sandor and hopefully for Arya, too.

16 hours ago, snow is the man said:

While I didn't want to see him die fighting his brother I thought it was well done. Not the fight scene but how he took him out at the end with the death clamp.

The scene was OK, but I feel like you Cleganewohl was not my favorite expectation. This was sort of fan service and at least it was done well.

I thought it was one of the most epic deaths ever on screen, and perfectly reflected what the Hound would have done.

The hate between the two brothers, although public knowledge, was intensely private. A battle with witnesses would have diminished that.

Well played DnD, well played.

I don't see how it could have ended any differently in the show. But then again, I thought it was pointless in the show - there were no stakes and it felt fan-servicy rather than necessary. I'm hoping if there is a Cleganebowl in the books, it means something.

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

rather than necessary

It was the goal of his entire life, his arc. What is useless about it? 

Life is not about meaning, that is an important lesson, too. It Hollywoodish to try to press some meaning into each action and death.

7 hours ago, hallam said:

I thought Sandor would be the one to save Arya killing Cersei for quite a while. It is the logical end for his arc.

It is also logical for Arya to go to KL to kill Cersei to save the city and then rethink when Sandor begs her not to join him. At that point there is no need for either of them to die.

Do you think he could've brought it up earlier? Like at Winterfell? You know, so she wouldn't end up in a firestorm. 

2 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

It was the goal of his entire life, his arc. What is useless about it? 

Life is not about meaning, that is an important lesson, too. It Hollywoodish to try to press some meaning into each action and death.

Well, he certainly warned Arya against following his path so I think he might think it's not a great idea. He had a moment where he seemed close to turning against it, but his friends were murdered, and the moment passed.

Like I said, in the show I couldn't see it going any other way. In the books I hope the Gravedigger gains a new and lasting perspective.

7 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I don't see how it could have ended any differently in the show. But then again, I thought it was pointless in the show - there were no stakes and it felt fan-servicy rather than necessary. I'm hoping if there is a Cleganebowl in the books, it means something.

It didn't really serve any purpose, except maybe it would have been awkward for a zombie to be standing off to the side while Cersei and Jaime had their death scene. 

Unless Zombie Mountain could punch an escape route through the rocks. Dang, that makes it extra-tragic. 

2 minutes ago, darmody said:

Do you think he could've brought it up earlier? Like at Winterfell? You know, so she wouldn't end up in a firestorm. 

Of course he could, but then there wouldn't be DRAMA!

I didn't like it much tbh. It seemed kinda forced and it was kinda meaningless (yeah, Sandor hated his brother, blah blah blah). It didn't contribute to the story at all, Gregor and Sandor were basically both dead anyway. I'd like it better if either Sandor threw Gregor into the fire and then Sandor would die because of his wounds or something like that (if Cleganebowl really had to happen at this point). But I do hope that in the books it will genuinly contribute to the story (like a trial by combat that is sort of hinted there).

I liked the final scene of Sandor and Arya though.

2 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

It didn't contribute to the story at all

Well, not to the main story. But it concluded Sandor's arc and it is a fine end to his arc. Don't you feel the same?

Why every scene needs to be important for the main thread? 

3 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I liked the final scene of Sandor and Arya though.

Indeed. One of the best scenes of the series.

4 minutes ago, DirePenguin said:

Gregor disobeying Cersei to fight him made too little sense for me to invest in that whole point...

I liked that.

It is the typical Frankenstein story. He seems like an automaton, but not even Qybrun knows how much he feels, knows, thinks. 

His own brother is too private and to intensively felt to not trigger a response in Frankenstein-Mountain. This is utterly believable.

Archived